SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Sage User

Decoder Issues

I just finished putting an HTPC together and I'm having a tough time getting this thing set up. My current problem is that the PowerDVD decoders I just installed do not appear in the list of available decoders under detailed setup. I already tried to reinstall Sage and even deleted the Frey folder when I did so as I saw suggested somewhere else (I did search for answers on the forum before posting this).

My setup is a Abit NF7-S motherboard running Win2k. I'm running Sage 2.0.20

I started down the path of messing with the decoders because I was only getting ProLogic sound. Now I have digital sound out of the PowerDVD 5.0 that I just purchased but I can't figure out how to get that decoder into Sage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:27 AM

What decoders do you see listed in the list?
Old 08-19-2004, 06:55 AM
Sage User

Thanks Mlbdude. That made me realize that the cyberlink decoder I'm seeing is PowerDVD. I had upgraded from an older version of PowerDVD to the new version and that's why the list didn't change. The choices I get for decoders are: default, cyberlink, and inter... nonCSS that came with the PVR-250 (going off of memory here). I hadn't given the Cyberlink one another chance after upgrading PowerDVD because that one had caused some issues before but I'll have to give it another shot.

Also, you wouldn't happen to know if the Sonic decoders everyone talk about work under W2K do you? The website says it's for XP. Thanks again for your help.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:22 AM
Sage User

It's my understanding that the Sonic decoders are only for XP and will not work in 2k.

Unfortunately I don't have a box with 2k on it to know for sure, but that's the info I've gotten from other people.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:55 AM
Sage User

Thanks Ashman.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:18 AM
SageTVaholic

I've heard that the installer can be coaxed/hacked to install the filters on Win2k, and that the filters themselves work fine on Win2k once you get them installed.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:35 PM
SageTVaholic

here's how to use a MCE DVD decoder pack on 2000
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...7210#post27210
explained by DFA
Old 08-19-2004, 06:28 PM
Sage Expert

Sheesh. I just read that manual install thing by DFA and can't understand a thing it said. Funny, seemed clear when I did it.

DFA
Old 08-19-2004, 06:35 PM
SageTVaholic

well maybe you should write a FAQ on how to do it
Old 08-19-2004, 06:58 PM
Sage Expert

Has anyone tried it? I can't find the original install file I bought so can't back track the actual steps. The main thing is to capture and copy the "Sonic CinePlayer DVD Pack.msi" file to another location while the install dialog box is open that refuses to install the codec because the OS is not XP. You can use the search function to find it. Once you acknowledge the wrong OS dialog box and it closes, the file is erased.

You should already have "msiexec.exe" on your machine in System32. Open a DOS box and enter "msiexec /a [path] SONICC~1.msi" where [path] is the drive and path to where you captured and saved "Sonic CinePlayer DVD Pack.msi"; i.e., msiexec /a C:\Install\ SONICC~1.msi. It's downhill from there.

DFA