SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-18-2004, 02:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Watching a recording in progress.

I just switched back to Sage from BTV and one of the things I used to do a lot is start watching (on the client) a recording in progress 15-20 min after the recording started. With Sage the playback will stop when it hits the point the recording was at when playback started. I can restart it again but that is a pain. Also tried watching live TV but playback stops when the recording finishes and I have to restart again.

Is there any way of avoiding these problems ???
Old 08-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Sage Icon

That is very strange. I constantly watch programs in progress and have never experienced the problem you are having. The only thing I can think of is where the files are being recorded to. Are your Sage recording directories local to the server or being stored somewhere else on the network. Please give detailed info about your specific setup and maybe I/we can see something wrong. I also have a client hooked up and have always been ok.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

The storage is on my server and I am just using regular drive/directory name. Should I use network naming conventions ??
Old 08-19-2004, 02:12 AM
SageTVaholic

I have never had these issues either...

How exactly are you viewing these recordings in progress: just to confirm, you are using SageTV to do the recording, and SageClient to do the playback?

And that you do not try and play back the video files directly, but use the Client to watch the program being recorded by clicking in the EPG, or in the SageRecordings screen...

(SageClient never reads the files directly, they are streamed from SageTV so the Client should not even know how big the files were)...

Last edited by nielm; 08-19-2004 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

To confirm. I am watching the show through the client, streamed from the server. My recording directory is on the server. If I select the show from the recordings menu it will play until the show is at the point in time when I started playback then stops. If I choose live TV, playback stops when the recording ends. I don't think I have tried starting the show from the guide so I don't know if the behaviour is the same or not using that method, I'll try tonight.

This is constant not occasional it happened on three differnt shows yesterday.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:57 AM
Sage Icon

I'm curious to know if this only is happening on the client or if the server is exhibiting the same issue. Maybe it is some sort of firewall issue or the way the drive is formatted. Are you running XP, 98, ME etc? What versions of the client and sage are you running? What decoder are you using? If you give a detailed description of your setup we may see something wrong. Maybe if you post your properties files too it could help.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well this is a real strange problem. It seems it has something to do with the mlbdude STV. I loaded my laptop with my second client and playing a recording in progress or watching live TV of a program being recorded worked fine, not a hicup. Loaded the mlbdude interface and I got the same problems identified earlier. Changed back to the original STV, still had problems. Restarted the client, still had problems. Deleted the mlbdude files from the STV folder, playback was fine again. Did the same on my main client and everything is working fine... Anyone else running the mlbdude STV found this problem.

Now this raises another issue for me because I need the folder capability of imported video that the mlbdude stv gave me. Do I have any other options to get the folder capability ???

Last edited by trevorst; 08-19-2004 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:55 PM
Sage Icon

trevor...you may want to post your findings to the MLBdude skin thread to see if anyone else has the issue.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

I just did....
Old 08-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well it looks like the mbldude link was a false lead. As soon as my wife started to use it today Sage exhibited the same problems as described earlier. I have tried several recordings to night and all do the same thing.

I have now tried starting the recording in progress by using the shortcut for liveTV and starting from the guide. In both cases playback stops when it reaches the point the recording was at when I started playback. If I choose the recording to playback, playback stops when the recording finishes. These issues do not seem to happen on the server only the client.

In previous posts I was asked to provide setup details, so he we go.

Server: AMD 2400, PVR-250, all storage on the server, network running through a Netgear 11G setup (main client hardwired). OS is win XP Pro SP1.

Client: Bio mini system with AMD 1600, Win XP Pro SP1, Radeon 8500 feeding a Panasonic 4:3 HDTV through a component Dongle set at 480P. System is dedicated to PVR playback.

System performance is excellent with outsatanding PQ through Sage and no other playback problems. Client is set to connect to server on boot up and is 100% reliable at doing so. Playing live TV works without a problem unless I am playing a recording in progress.

Last edited by trevorst; 08-20-2004 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:00 PM
SageTVaholic

try this

choose a recording in progress
and in the info screen
hit record

this will make it a manual recording

and see if it does the same thing