SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-11-2022, 01:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Recovery software for mistaken deletions - anyone?

I’ve used Recuva shareware, and it can’t recover anything.
I mistaken deleted a recording tonight. Within two minutes, I had Recuva open and running, but the program I was trying to recover was showing as ‘unrecoverable’, immediately.
So that sucked. It’s the FREE version of Recuva.

Anyone have any better software that actually recovers deleted shows.

For that matter - I’d love to see an ‘undelete’ feature added to Sage, like my TiVo or Windows Trashcan allows…
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 12-11-2022 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:24 AM
SageTVaholic

I've used a piece of software called "Recover My Files" in the past. Not specifically for large media files, but for hard drives and solid state memory that was failing, and once when I had reformatted a drive for family for a new Windows install only to find out they did not have a copy of all the family photos (since that event, I have always kept a backup of hard drives for about a year for the computers I wipe and restore for family and friends).

I seem to recall being able to run the software in evaluation mode and at least see a list of potentially available files for recovery. It wasn't cheap, and although it's been installed on the same Windows computer (I bring the recovery drive and hook it up to this computer), I recall it being a pain to get it running when I use it every few years, as if the purchased license had somehow expired. I have been able to contact the developers to get it running, but there seemed to be an element of deception in the purchase terms and conditions.

It did, however, work very well and I would say that, with the exception of one bad microSD, I've always been able to recover about 95% of the files I was going after.
Old 12-15-2022, 04:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

For future use, After you accidentally delete something make sure you don't do any more recording on that drive until you successfully recover the affected files, since any further recording will write data over your deleted files.

For my go to recovery software I use something called Testdisk
which you can find here --> https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk. It is available for Linux & Windows or Mac.

Warning though, it isn't a speedy process! Depending on the size of the drive it could take 24 hrs to complete a scan to recover the files. It will work as long as the drive hasn't been overwritten since the delete happened.
Old 12-15-2022, 04:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxysurfer View Post
For future use, After you accidentally delete something make sure you don't do any more recording on that drive until you successfully recover the affected files, since any further recording will write data over your deleted files.

For my go to recovery software I use something called Testdisk
which you can find here --> https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk. It is available for Linux & Windows or Mac.

Warning though, it isn't a speedy process! Depending on the size of the drive it could take 24 hrs to complete a scan to recover the files. It will work as long as the drive hasn't been overwritten since the delete happened.
That's difficult, as I'm always running the service, and there's usually a tuner open recording live tv. However, I have three drives, all hooked to dedicated tuners, so if one of the three was open in Sage, the other two shouldn't be writing material unless a recording is in progress?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 12-15-2022, 04:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Basically with my solution you need to take the target drive out of commission until you can recover your files. I know that is a hard ask if you don't have an alternative drive to use instead, or are constantly using the drive. That unfortunately is a hazard with our setups being on 24/7.
Old 12-18-2022, 10:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

I used to have that happen a lot. Since switching to recording everything to my NAS I can now just recover from my NAS recycle bin. Just like in windows except every file even large files are kept and every few months I have to empty it manually to get that space back. Sorry that doesn't help you now, but may be something to consider for the future.
Old 12-19-2022, 08:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrent View Post
I used to have that happen a lot. Since switching to recording everything to my NAS I can now just recover from my NAS recycle bin. Just like in windows except every file even large files are kept and every few months I have to empty it manually to get that space back. Sorry that doesn't help you now, but may be something to consider for the future.
How and why does your NAS recycle bin act differently than does Windows 10’s? Is there a way to set W10 recycle bin to act differently?