SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Is DirecTV a viable input source these days?

I've been using the Firestick 4K client with SageTV at our second home to access video stored in the city house server (see sig. file) and it's been working pretty well, but it's time to sell the city house. The soon-to-be-only home is rural and does not have cable service so unless we find a city friend that's willing to host our server and let us help him with cable and internet costs, it looks like DirecTV is the only option.

Are the capture/tuning methods below the only ones possible, and are they practical for someone that's struggled with the tech to keep Sage going these past 13 years?
Use our HD-PVR 1212 and Colossus card video input cables.
Use the HDMI outputs and the BMI-type encoders ($$$?)

I see there's a .dll that (might?) allow IP tuning - that's appealing over the other methods I've seen discussed.
Network: gB Lan
Playback: FireStick 4K miniclient
Tech Level: Hobbyist

Last edited by hb4; 10-25-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Not much response, so here's one simple question.

What are the chances that if I invest in a DirecTV setup that it will be successful, given my minimum knowledge of Sage internals, networking, and video processing?

I'm pretty good at researching and following directions but just not at understanding the level of discussions happening here on the SageTV forums. I am a jvl111 patreon member and would also support someone who could offer help and direction at a more basic level.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

Are you using DirecTV Satellite or Streaming?
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 10-26-2021, 04:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Right now I'm using Xfinity cable. I am considering switching to DirecTV satellite. I'd prefer to stay with Xfinity since I have the hardware, but can't when I move.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:41 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb4 View Post
Right now I'm using Xfinity cable. I am considering switching to DirecTV satellite. I'd prefer to stay with Xfinity since I have the hardware, but can't when I move.
I just cut the cord on Xfinity (price went up $40 after my promotion expired) and went to OTA. If you can not do OTA, you should look at streaming services. ChannelsDVR uses TV Everywhere to record steaming services. https://getchannels.com/tv-everywhere/
Old 10-27-2021, 09:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

We will be in a rural location, so no OTA.

I thought TV Everywhere required a subscription to the channels you want to watch. And since I'd like to stick with Sage for its feature, Channels would have to be used as a source - is that possible?
Old 10-27-2021, 11:37 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I thought TV Everywhere required a subscription to the channels you want to watch.
It took me a while to realize how TV Everywhere works. TV Everywhere is basically an authentication method and not a service. It works with any subscription service you have (cable, streaming, satellite, etc.). For Example: if your subscription includes access to Bravo, you can use the Bravo App to login and watch Bravo from any device using your subscription credentials.

ChannelsDVR uses this TV Everywhere authentication feature to record from streaming services. https://getchannels.com/tv-everywhere/

Quote:
And since I'd like to stick with Sage for its feature, Channels would have to be used as a source - is that possible?
I used SageTV for over 10 years and just recently moved over to ChannelsDVR. Other than getting used to a different interface is was a smooth transition.

There are people on here who are working to get ChannelsDVR to work as a back-end to SageTV. Check out this thread.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for that. Assuming I want to stick with Sage for its features, it seems my options are:

DirecTV satellite
---Pro is that the hardware is local.
---Cons are expense, perhaps, plus hardware interface complexity and Sage support (recent and ongoing, HD-PVR glitches, Colossus, tuning) - making it an expensive gamble that I will be successful.

Channels>TV Everywhere >Sage
---Pro is that I can pick and change providers at will (I think)
---Cons are that it is not currently possible and that TVE wants 24Mbs. The highest I can get here is 20Mbs. FWIW, I have no problem with Netflix, Prime, etc.

Xfinity server at friends house
---Pro is that I have experience with that setup and know it works, plus it has all the channels I want.
---Cons are remote server maintenance plus burden to friendship. They don't have Xfinity cable but they want it and Sage. I'd pay for it, but am concerned that I don't have the skills to keep Sage up for someone else. Also don't know whether there could be separate servers on their network for separate Sage instances.

I guess I'd rank these, assuming the Cons are disappear or are managable... 1. Channels>Sage;
2. Xfinity/friends
3. DirecTV
Old 10-27-2021, 12:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks for that. Assuming I want to stick with Sage for its features, it seems my options are:

DirecTV satellite
---Pro is that the hardware is local.
---Cons are expense, perhaps, plus hardware interface complexity and Sage support (recent and ongoing, HD-PVR glitches, Colossus, tuning) - making it an expensive gamble that I will be successful.

Channels>TV Everywhere >Sage
---Pro is that I can pick and change providers at will (I think)
---Cons are that it is not currently possible and that TVE wants 24Mbs. The highest I can get here is 20Mbs. FWIW, I have no problem with Netflix, Prime, etc.

Xfinity server at friends house
---Pro is that I have experience with that setup and know it works, plus it has all the channels I want.
---Cons are remote server maintenance plus burden to friendship. They don't have Xfinity cable but they want it and Sage. I'd pay for it, but am concerned that I don't have the skills to keep Sage up for someone else. Also don't know whether there could be separate servers on their network for separate Sage instances.

I guess I'd rank these, assuming the Cons are disappear or are managable... 1. Channels>Sage;
2. Xfinity/friends
3. DirecTV
Where did you get the impression that TVE is 24MBS ? The highest I have seen is around 8 and TVE adjusts to your Internet speed. I am watching Friends on TNT and down speed is between 4 and 6 mbps

Last edited by nyplayer; 10-27-2021 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 01:19 PM
SageTVaholic

hb4

What I would do is get a trial to ChannelsDVR and Philo .... Setup TVE.

Setup a ChannelsDVR server besides your sagetv server.

You can Cancel both trials if it does not work out. Nothing lost but experience gained.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:27 PM
Sage Fanatic

I think ChannelsDVR is still giving a 30 day free trial.

I was running both ChannelsDVR and SageTV along with Plex on the same server. Never had a problem.

And the speed I have seen required for TVE is 8 mpbs max.

Last edited by NetworkGuy; 10-27-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Where did you get the impression that TVE is 24MBS ? The highest I have seen is around 8 and TVE adjusts to your Internet speed. I am watching Friends on TNT and down speed is between 4 and 6 mbps]
From the ether, I guess. I was looking at DirecTV Stream and misread the max Mbs as required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
hb4

What I would do is get a trial to ChannelsDVR and Philo .... Setup TVE.

Setup a ChannelsDVR server besides your sagetv server.

You can Cancel both trials if it does not work out. Nothing lost but experience gained.
Thanks; I'll work toward that. Maybe wait until there's a Sage solution for an XMLTV plugin.

Last edited by hb4; 10-27-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:52 PM
Sage Fanatic

Channels is only $8 a monthly basis, first 30 days free. Cancel anytime.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:33 PM
SageTVaholic

I agree with the Channels DVR option. You could certainly test it out and even run it for a month or two at $8/month. That's a very reasonable cost to see how the system works for you.

If you like Windows, make sure your Channels DVR server is running Windows 10 (or a Mac, or NAS or any of their numerous other options).
Old 10-27-2021, 06:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I agree with the Channels DVR option. You could certainly test it out and even run it for a month or two at $8/month. That's a very reasonable cost to see how the system works for you.

If you like Windows, make sure your Channels DVR server is running Windows 10 (or a Mac, or NAS or any of their numerous other options).
What about W 8.1, if I am going to install it on the same server as Sage?

Last edited by hb4; 10-27-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:21 PM
SageTVaholic

There could be some issues with Channels DVR and the older Windows versions (TVE authentication problems I had with Win7), so I actually bought a small PC with Win 10 to run Channels DVR properly, and it's done okay.

For testing purposes, you might be okay with Win 8.1 - just manage your expectations as you test it. It's not SageTV level of DVR sophistication, but ... well just play with it and let us know what you think as you progress.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:45 PM
Sage Expert

I think it's pretty straightforward to run a Windows-(even 32-bit Win 8) based system with a DirecTV receiver. HD-PVRs still work well, and Colossus cards are even better. You can control channel changing via ethernet. The Windows installer is really simple to use.

If you do opt for using the HD-PVR, you will have to get a video breakout cable for component video, as the newest DirecTV boxes no longer have onboard jacks. if you use a Colossus, you can use the HDMI output ...
Old 10-28-2021, 06:55 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
What about W 8.1, if I am going to install it on the same server as Sage?
I am running on Windows 7 with no problems.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far! I am still looking into the options, and specifically the one where pack up my current setup and move it to a friends' house. I'd compensate them for their cost to acquire Xfinity cable and they would have the use of Sage.

But in the interests of confusion and privacy, I would like to set up a second server so that we each have control over what we're recording and saving, which brings up another question:

Is there a way that both servers can share the same HDHR Prime and if so, any suggestions how to handle conflicts? Or do the tuners need to be dedicated to a server (maybe that's the best way in any event so that there's always at least one tuner available for each server.

I do have a Colossus card that I haven't spent time to find out why it didn't work the first time out, but if I can get that going we'd each have two tuners. That wouldn't be too bad and if it is there''s always the option of a second Prime. Also, they have an OTA antenna and I have an OTA tuner so that's an possibility as well.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:00 PM
SageTVaholic

I know you want to stick with SageTV ... but I have an EMBY Server down in the basement that my Son his wife and my household uses... Each has their own Profiles so that they can keep track of what they watch etc... 2 HDHR Quatros and 2 Primes. They also have remote access on any device.

I do not see doing something like this with SageTV.

Last edited by nyplayer; 10-29-2021 at 06:07 PM.