SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:15 AM
Sage User

DirectTV HD

Has anyone been able to record HD stations from DirecTV? I know there aren’t any DirecTV "cards" but I was hoping there is something suitable that can take in the HD signal from my HD tuner, record it, and also be able to output the HD signal to my TV. (and of course work with Sage and my other tuners) I've read a ton about cable HD working but not too much about Satellite. Has anyone had any luck with this? Thanks!
Old 09-15-2005, 08:26 AM
Sage Icon

The only option I am aware of is a $1000 per box mod that installs a firewire port. The bonus (and for $1000 there better be a bonus!) is that the firewire is unencrypted so you get all your channels.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:40 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard
The only option I am aware of is a $1000 per box mod that installs a firewire port. The bonus (and for $1000 there better be a bonus!) is that the firewire is unencrypted so you get all your channels.
Per their websight...

Sale: Dishnet / DirecTV HD
box with firewire $599
Last sale day Sunday 18th

or there is

$399 - for DIY upgrade kit
Old 09-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the feedback! Which website are you speaking of? I would like to check it out.

I suppose there aren't any cards that can take HDMI in from the HD tuner and DVI or HDMI out to the TV yet? Is this something that's in the near future of is the firewire route the only foreseeable way to go?

Has anyone had success with the Firewire option for Direct TV? Do you need a special card or only the firewire port on the PC? Does Sage run smoothly with it?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2005, 11:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Thanks for the feedback! Which website are you speaking of? I would like to check it out.
Search for R5000-HD and 169time

Quote:
I suppose there aren't any cards that can take HDMI in from the HD tuner and DVI or HDMI out to the TV yet? Is this something that's in the near future of is the firewire route the only foreseeable way to go?
There will most likely never be an HDMI input card, as HDMI is desiged to be unrecordable (encrypted). Otherwise the answer is a "most likely no" since the requirements are way too high and there's no "legitimate" use for such a device.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the info. I checked out what you suggested. Very cool but a little too expensive and the possibility of DTV switching to mpeg4 for all new HD channels will probably make me hold off for now.

Is there a difference in quality if I have sage record a standard channel as opposed to a high definition channel? I'm not looking for HD quality but playback of SD recorded programs on my widescreen TV isn't all that great. Would sage record an HD station if I used the S-video out on the HD tuner? I'm only looking to get the widescreen format with maybe a little better quality. I realize that it would in no way be a HD signal.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:07 PM
SageTVaholic

HD over S-Video will be downconverted, so quality will not be "HD" quality. But it might be better than an SD channel.