SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
Look in the SageTV/Common/RemoteCodes/USB-UIRT Transceiver directory for the .ir files. That is where the codes are saved. You should be able to copy those directly over from your existing system.
I did copy those over, but aren't those just for the codes the USBUIRT sends to the cable box? (I don't have that set up as a source yet for the new system, as it's in use by the old one, so can't easily test at the moment). I'm trying to set up the USBUIRT to receive commands from the Hauppauge remote that currently sends commands for playback, navigating menus, etc.. That seems to be done from the menu I described, according to the manual:
Quote:
SageTV can directly receive codes from an infrared remote control. Like keystrokes, these infrared codes can be assigned to commands in Detailed Setup by using the option to link an infrared code to a command. See:
Link Infrared/Keystroke to SageTV Command [...]
After choosing a command for key/IR code assignment, SageTV will display instructions for you to press the key or remote button to be assigned to the shown command. Any keyboard input at this point is considered to be a key assignment. You can cancel this process by clicking on the
Cancel button with the mouse.
That's what I was trying without success to accomplish. I'd press the remote button but get no response from Sage. If I press a key to map it to a command, Sage responds as expected.
UPDATE: After the system had been shut down and then restarted today, I tried the exact same thing and it's working as expected. Go figure...
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.

Last edited by VCRUser; 02-21-2021 at 06:46 PM. Reason: uptate
Old 02-21-2021, 06:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCRUser View Post
I did copy those over, but aren't those just for the codes the USBUIRT sends to the cable box? (I don't have that set up as a source yet for the new system, as it's in use by the old one, so can't easily test at the moment). I'm trying to set up the USBUIRT to receive commands from the Hauppauge remote that currently sends commands for playback, navigating menus, etc.. That seems to be done from the menu I described, according to the manual:

That's what I was trying without success to accomplish. I'd press the remote button but get no response from Sage. If I press a key to map it to a command, Sage responds as expected.
UPDATE: After the system had been shut down and then restarted today, I tried the exact same thing and it's working as expected. Go figure...
You’re right. It’s been awhile since I looked at any of this.

Looking through the code, I believe the receive mappings are stored in the properties file under “ui/rc_mappings/*”.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
So now it's back to not working.

Whether I try to use the remote I already trained, to use it based on copying the settings from the previous installation (same remote, older USBUIRT), or setting up the USBUIRT for tuning, Sage just isn't seeing the USBUIRT. (I get the "Not connected or being used by another application" message). It also isn't displaying the commands mapped to infrared/keystrokes - that is, when I select "link infrared/keystroke to sage tv command," each command shows the standard keyboard mappings but none of the infrareds.

Am I using the correct drivers? After it didn't work initially, I followed & was successful with the advice I found in a post, which I think came from here:

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63009
• On the 64 bit version USBUIRT install may not complete fully and you may need to perform the following manual steps AFTER the install completes.
o Copy uuirtdrv.dll from "SageTV\redist\usbuirt\amd64" folder into your Windows\System32 directory. Note that there will already be one there from the USB-UIRT driver install, but it is the 32-bit one and shouldn't be there anyway (the 32 bit one will be in SysWOW64 folder). Warning: If you reinstall the USB-UIRT driver for any reason it may replace this file with the 32-bit one.
 32 bit file dated 7/22/2012
 64 bit file dated 7/8/2011
Should there be some other files somewhere? My previous Sage installation has a USBUIRT folder under the Sage folder; my new one doesn't. Should I copy over that folder? It does have a usbuirt folder in sagetv/redist.

I didn't do anything outside of Sage to install the USBUIRT drivers - I don't recall that that is needed, but if it is, I can't find any installation files or instructions.

Windows itself does recognize the USBUIRT, as indicated by Lrnhelper's behaving as expected. I also checked in Control Panel, which shows it and gives the following details on drivers:
c:\\windows\system32\drivers\ftdbus.sys
c:\\windows\system32\drivers\ftd2xx.dll [ver 3.01.19]
c:\\windows\system32\drivers\uuitdrv.dll [ver 2.6.9.9]
c:\\windows\syswow64\drivers\ftd2xx.dll [ver 3.01.19]
c:\\windows\syswow64\drivers\uuitdrv.dll [ver 2.7.0.0]

Under "Events," it says (both showing today's date and around the time I booted the machine today)
"Device configured (oem4.inf)"
Device Started (FTDIBUS)"
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.

Last edited by VCRUser; 02-26-2021 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:15 PM
Sage Expert

It's best to always reboot your computer after manually moving/copying/replacing any of the .dll's. Without the reboot, Windows might continue to access/use the previous dll (it might still be loaded in memory), causing quite a bit of confusion.
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

It had been powered down after I did that, with no dlls changed in the interim.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFred View Post
It's best to always reboot your computer after manually moving/copying/replacing any of the .dll's. Without the reboot, Windows might continue to access/use the previous dll (it might still be loaded in memory), causing quite a bit of confusion.
As noted, rebooting changes nothing in my case. I did, though, find an older post from you suggesting a different dll might be needed?

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...32&postcount=3

I'm not trying to run anything but Sage with the usbuirt, and the post linked above is about EventGhost, which I'm not using.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:58 AM
Sage Icon

I was never able to get USBUIRT to work as both a transmitter and receiver at the same time with Sage 64bit in Service mode.

Someone else said they got it working, but I suspect they were not using Sage in Service mode. In Service mode, Sage is like 2 different programs: the Sage service wants to use the USBUIRT as a transmitter to blast channels to your cable box, while the Sage UI wants to use the USBUIRT as a receiver to accept commands from your remote control.

My experience was that whichever one tried to access the USBUIRT first got control and blocked the other. I gave up on Sage64 and went back to 32-bit Sage for that reason.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 02-27-2021, 05:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post

My experience was that whichever one tried to access the USBUIRT first got control and blocked the other. I gave up on Sage64 and went back to 32-bit Sage for that reason.
Disappointing, after I put a good bit of effort into setting up Sag64. On the other hand, I found in my rubble an old Cyberlink remote (possibly intended for Windows Media Center) with a USB dongle to work with a PC. Initial tests are promising, and I plan to test further today, along with setting up and testing at least one source to be controlled by the usbuirt. I'll report back here after the further testing, since similar remotes (generic models sent the slow way from China) may provide the same functionality. They're under $10, so I have one on order to have a spare - and hope it and the Cyberlink both prove adequate.

Otherwise I'll have to install Sage32. What happens if you have both 32 and 64 installed? Presumably you want only the one you intend to use to be active and start up whenever the system does. Do you uninstall the other? If not, how do you disable the unused one (presumably keeping it around just in case, to assist with the installation of the 2nd version by matching settings, etc.)?
Old 02-27-2021, 06:29 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Otherwise I'll have to install Sage32. What happens if you have both 32 and 64 installed? Presumably you want only the one you intend to use to be active and start up whenever the system does. Do you uninstall the other? If not, how do you disable the unused one (presumably keeping it around just in case, to assist with the installation of the 2nd version by matching settings, etc.)?
You can install both side by side, but you should only run one at a time.
By default, they install in different locations and have separate registry settings. They each also will have their own .properties files and wiz.bin files. You can copy wiz.bin from one to the other.

As I said, there was at least one person who posted claiming they got it working correctly in 64-bit Sage, but I could not, and I’ve seen a handful of others post that they could not either. It seems that the people who are happy either don’t run Sage as a service or don’t use the USBUIRT to both send and receive.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 02-27-2021, 06:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
You can install both side by side, but you should only run one at a time.
So, is the method for stopping one of them from running at startup just to go into setup/detailed/server and disable the server? Would that mean that that instance would start up only if manually invoked? Or is there an additional setting needed to prevent the ui from starting at boot (which then seems to start the server) - something in .properties or in Windows settings? This won't be needed if I can get the alternative remote to work, but would be good to know if I can't.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

As an update, my Cyberlink remote works well enough, but I can't seem to map buttons that don't already affect sage to commands: the method of pointing the remote at the receiver to learn the command isn't operational. I'm guessing that's because I had to set the remote to something other than USBIRT (I used Windows Media Center). Maybe there's another way to do it, but enough of the buttons work for most of my purposes.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
So, is the method for stopping one of them from running at startup just to go into setup/detailed/server and disable the server? Would that mean that that instance would start up only if manually invoked? Or is there an additional setting needed to prevent the ui from starting at boot (which then seems to start the server) - something in .properties or in Windows settings? This won't be needed if I can get the alternative remote to work, but would be good to know if I can't.
Use the SageTVServiceControl.exe program in each of the installed directories to disable/enable the service from running.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I was never able to get USBUIRT to work as both a transmitter and receiver at the same time with Sage 64bit in Service mode.

Someone else said they got it working, but I suspect they were not using Sage in Service mode. In Service mode, Sage is like 2 different programs: the Sage service wants to use the USBUIRT as a transmitter to blast channels to your cable box, while the Sage UI wants to use the USBUIRT as a receiver to accept commands from your remote control.

That right SageTV will not work in service mode with USBUIRT but enable reg auto load at startup to fix under sagetv setting
Old 03-02-2021, 05:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
That right SageTV will not work in service mode with USBUIRT but enable reg auto load at startup to fix under sagetv setting
Could you expand on that a bit? I think you're saying that:

1. It is possible to have sageTV autoload at startup, which would enable clients, place-shifters, extenders, etc. - while keeping service mode off.

2. Doing so would enable usbuirt to both transmit & receive. Does that also enable Neilm's web interface?

If so, while I know I can disable the server in the service manager app, I've found that when I then start SageTV it turns on the service anyway and the USBUIRT won't receive IR. Am I missing a setting?

I've found a workaround by using another remote control that has its own dongle, but haven't been able to assign commands to additional buttons without the USBUIRT being able to receive the IR. It would be preferable to get the USBUIRT to do both transmit & receive.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Could you expand on that a bit? I think you're saying that:

1. It is possible to have sageTV autoload at startup, which would enable clients, place-shifters, extenders, etc. - while keeping service mode off.

2. Doing so would enable usbuirt to both transmit & receive. Does that also enable Neilm's web interface?

If so, while I know I can disable the server in the service manager app, I've found that when I then start SageTV it turns on the service anyway and the USBUIRT won't receive IR. Am I missing a setting?

I've found a workaround by using another remote control that has its own dongle, but haven't been able to assign commands to additional buttons without the USBUIRT being able to receive the IR. It would be preferable to get the USBUIRT to do both transmit & receive.
See below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sagetv-autoload.jpg (123.5 KB, 318 views)
Old 03-02-2021, 07:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think this is working, but I'm having trouble with off-site placeshifter passwords in the Android miniclient on my phone. I probably need to post this question somewhere else though. I set up a password & the miniclient won't connect when I turn off wifi to simulate connecting from away.