SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-14-2020, 04:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Placeshift / Streaming Question

I find myself out my football market for a while.
I'm interested in the current state of affairs with accessing content from my server at home.

Searching for the old topic of place shifting reveals very old threads. I never used it in the past when it was a Sage thing.

I perhaps wrongly am assuming that things are better with version 9. But I dunno.

I tried streaming through the web admin "Sage Webserver version 2.43". because it's there... but on my side it states I don't have VLC installed - but I do.

Is there a sticky about this or is it just a waste of time. Server box indicates 10 megabit upload.

I read some threads from like 2011 about VPN'ing a client (pc client) to connect. But they were not very promising.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

It's in Beta, but you might try a firestick 4K. I've been using it, and it's working pretty well for me although I am seeing halts which I believe is due to my paltry 6mbs DCL line at the remote location.

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...87&postcount=1
Network: gB Lan
Playback: FireStick 4K miniclient
Tech Level: Hobbyist

Last edited by hb4; 10-14-2020 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Have you tried using SageTV Placeshifter on your remote PC? That is probably the best solution but it doesn't work so well for 1080i content.

I assume that you will be watching in realtime? If you are fine watching a bit delayed then you could use somthing like AirVideoHD as a client on an iOS device. You often have to reload the file every few minutes when you hit the end of the file - or at least the end of the file as defined by when you started watching the game.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb4 View Post
It's in Beta, but you might try a firestick 4K. I've been using it, and it's working pretty well for me although I am seeing halts which I believe is due to my paltry 6mbs DCL line at the remote location.

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...87&postcount=1
This is a client. I have a client on the PC with me.
Not sure what ports to forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Have you tried using SageTV Placeshifter on your remote PC? That is probably the best solution but it doesn't work so well for 1080i content.

I assume that you will be watching in realtime? If you are fine watching a bit delayed then you could use somthing like AirVideoHD as a client on an iOS device. You often have to reload the file every few minutes when you hit the end of the file - or at least the end of the file as defined by when you started watching the game.
No. I assumed placeshifter is dead - and you'd have to have a license for it. I was thinking there was some awesome sauce built into v9.

I had limited success feeding the stream url link from the web server into VLC directly via 'open network stream'. It seemed to buffer / stutter HD content. If I paused it for a bit it would then play longer before the next hiccup.

My other option may be to use VPN and folk over some money to NFL.com and just stream it like I was in Finland or something.

Did that once when in Finland it was quite cheap at the time.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Placeshifter is not dead. See V9.2.1 here: https://bintray.com/opensagetv/saget...agetvwin/9.2.1

You haven't needed licenses since we went to Open Source.

I use Placeshifter all the time, but only on my LAN. For remote viewing Placeshifter should work better than Client.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:27 PM
Sage Icon

The full Client is not meant to work remotely across a WAN. I think it needs to be on the same subnet as the server. The server does not transcode anything for a full Client - it just tells the Client where to find the file so the Client can play it back.

For remote viewing, I think the only options are the Placeshifter, an HDx00 extender, or the Android mini-client. All of these are built on the mini-client architecture and behave similarly (though each has its own way of handling the playback that is unique to its hardware platform).

There have been 2 or 3 web servers created for Sage. These were all unofficial, user-created add-ons and not part of a basic Sage install. I haven’t tried any of these in a long time, but I think at least one of them provided a way to download (and possibly playback) a Sage recording. I could be wrong, but I think the playback relied on a specific version of VLC being installed and may not have worked if you were accessing from an iPhone or something.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 10-15-2020, 02:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack View Post
This is a client. I have a client on the PC with me.
Not sure what ports to forward.

No. I assumed placeshifter is dead - and you'd have to have a license for it. I was thinking there was some awesome sauce built into v9.
Placeshifter is not dead; I have been using it remotely forever, and changed from the PC version to a spare HD-300 about a year ago (there is a V9 version downloadable, no license required); but now I'm using the firestick 4K because the image is much better. The downside is that it is a beta client so the settings are changing often. For ease, I'd recommend Placeshifter. Both the HD-300 and the miniclient use Placeshifter settings to authenticate the first time they're used.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

So placeshifter is now working.

There is a hit on image quality - but it's responsive enough, and has niceties like comm skip breaks.

( I also tried no transcoding setting, no big improvement).

The VLC stream was full res - wonder if that would last for 3 hours.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

You can get better quality remote playback with Emby; MCEBuddy will move them to an Emby-friendly folder and naming structure, plus it can re-comskip them. I think it often does better comskipping than Sage, and it removes them from the recording.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
You can get better quality remote playback with Emby
Yes indeed.
Thanks for that.
Emby installed - nothing else. Big improvement. I can live without the comskip for the time being.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
You can get better quality remote playback with Emby; MCEBuddy will move them to an Emby-friendly folder and naming structure, plus it can re-comskip them. I think it often does better comskipping than Sage, and it removes them from the recording.
If you move them to an Emby-friendly folder, will Sage also know where to find them for playback through Placeshifter, Client, extender, etc.?
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have MCEBuddy set up to make a copy and place it in a (more or less) Emby-friendly structure. Some other Sage/Emby users may have way to use the same recording file for both; I'd be interested in hearing about it if there is.