SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

Q about OpenDCT/HDHR and pooling/locking

Hello,

I am looking to reduce some of my household overhead. I've currently got 4 cable cards in (2) HDHR-CC connected to my sagetv system and (2) dct-2650 devices connected to my mythtv system. I haven't been doing much lately with my sagetv system, and I probably don't really need 6 dedicated tuners on Sagetv, so I was thinking I could consolidate some and get rid of the (2) dct-2650, provided I can share the (2) HDHR-CC between sagetv and mythtv. Mythtv says it can and does support the ability to lock HDHR recorders and so support sharing/pooling of the devices. (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythhdhrrecorder)

My question is, does OpenDCT also support locking/sharing of HDHR devices?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 07-14-2020, 10:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

The short answer is yes, it supports pooling (and the associated locking) but you need @enternoescape to respond. As the author of OpenDCT, he can tell you if it respects locks from outside OpenDCT.
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA
Old 07-16-2020, 07:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpaulus View Post
Hello,

I am looking to reduce some of my household overhead. I've currently got 4 cable cards in (2) HDHR-CC connected to my sagetv system and (2) dct-2650 devices connected to my mythtv system. I haven't been doing much lately with my sagetv system, and I probably don't really need 6 dedicated tuners on Sagetv, so I was thinking I could consolidate some and get rid of the (2) dct-2650, provided I can share the (2) HDHR-CC between sagetv and mythtv. Mythtv says it can and does support the ability to lock HDHR recorders and so support sharing/pooling of the devices. (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythhdhrrecorder)

Thanks,

Mark
Yes OPENDCT does support full sharing of HDHomeRun tuners ... as a matter of fact if all tuners are in use by other APPS there is a setting for SageTV to force an unlock.

Tuner Pooling.
This new feature enables OpenDCT to intelligently select a tuner based on merit and lock status in that order. It does two passes over the tuners. The first one tries to find the highest merit tuner that is not currently in use by SageTV; it checks each one in order to see if it's locked. If they are all either in use or locked, it then it goes through a shorter list of tuners not in use by SageTV, but locked and checks if it's allowed to unlock any of them forcefully. If it's not allowed on any of them, then it gives up. These locked checks are surprisingly fast. Since the InfiniTV devices do not have a locked indication like the HDHomeRun Prime devices, enabling pooling with only InfiniTV devices will just remap them based on merit.
To enable the pooling feature change the property pool.enabled from false to true.
Because of this new feature, the force unlock feature is now set per capture device. To enable forced unlocking, change the value of sagetv.device.<unique_id>.always_force_external_unlock to true for each device that you want this feature enabled on. The global setting no longer has any effect.
Merit is set by changing the value of sagetv.device.<unique_id>.encoder_merit. Higher numbers mean higher priority. This is also the merit that will be sent on discovery.
Pools are automatically assigned based on capture device type the first time you run OpenDCT. You can change the pools by changing the value of sagetv.device.<unique_id>.encoder_pool to another name for all of the capture devices that you want to put into a different pool. The name is case sensitive. Also be sure to not have any extra spaces. I highly do not recommend putting capture devices that cannot tune the same channels into the same pool. It will create a problem per paragraph two in the issue created for this feature.

Last edited by nyplayer; 07-16-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks,

Mark
Yes it does
Here
https://github.com/enternoescape/ope...ion/RELEASE.md
you will find solutions