SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-27-2018, 06:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

repair metadata on movie file

I have a movie file that sagetv recognizes as a music file rather than a video file. When I play said video file in an alternative video player it runs fine. ( that program doesnt care what metadata is) I am searching ways to correct metadata so file will run as it should in Sagetv. I have cmt & previously bmt plugins installed to not avail. Cmt doesn't let me change the file type entry. I am hoping to find a solution that I can use in cases where a problem happens again in the future.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Looks like my best option is to re-encode file. Going to use Handbrake. Any other suggestions for future reference with metadata issues?
Old 02-28-2018, 06:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

What type of video file is it? What is the extension? The program MediaInfo will give you info about the video file if you are not sure. It's open source and available for most platform out there:
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Post the results of this and someone may be able to help.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:45 AM
SageTVaholic

You should be able to use BMT and go to change raw metadata change the media type to Movie and that should work.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

I wish to make sure I understand the question.

In Gemstone, I locate the recording (in TV, Videos, or whatever), click on it and a menu is opened in which I select "Manage Metadata." From there, I can edit all of the metadata, including "Type."

Do I understand the question correctly?
Old 03-01-2018, 12:49 PM
SageTVaholic

You might be able to edit the metadata there, but probably not. You need Batch Metadata Tools (BMT) which is another plugin. Install that and find the file and see if you can change it either through the "regular" web page or through the Edit Raw Metadata option.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
You need Batch Metadata Tools (BMT) which is another plugin.
I remember using BMT many years ago but had forgotten about it. Primarily because I really didn't have a need for it until lately while using PlayOn.

My workflow now is to record streamed video, with PlayOn, to a <STV recognized directory>. However, some programs are not recognized by the "Scan Imported Data" option. In which case I locate the recorded file (by my above description). Click on it and choose "Metadata/Fanart Options." Then, I choose "Search for Art & Metadata for: <file name>." If that doesn't import the correct data, I go back to "Manage Metadata" and click on "Edit Metadata" and manually add/change the data.

Now, having said that, I do have BMT installed but I don't have a clue how to access it. Please remind me how to do that so I can compare the two methods.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:19 AM
SageTVaholic

BMT is accessed via a web UI at http://serverip:8080/bmt - make sure to put in your correct server name and port.

Then you will select browse and find the file that you want. There should be text boxes or dropdown boxes to make changes. But I don't know that I have ever used BMT on "music" files. Sometime you cannot make certain changes so then you have to use the "Edit Raw Metadata" button. That just has a bunch of text boxes and if you need to do this then you will put Movie in Media Type. I think those are the correct terms but I am going from the top of my head on this.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
BMT is accessed via a web UI at http://serverip:8080/bmt -
Okay, I agree that BMT is a powerful Metadata editing tool... very impressive indeed. However, my method is more intuitive and quicker when making/needing only minor changes like (the OP's) Movie/TV edit.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:27 AM
SageTVaholic

I agree and I use your method as well. You can also edit some of the metadata in the SageTV web UI. BMT lets you do a lot more complex stuff including downloading and assigning new Fanart, etc. It also lets you do actions on a Batch of files, hence the B in BMT.

stuckless has mentioned that if he gets the time he would like to redo BMT and merge it into the web UI so you have one grand-unified web UI for SageTV that let's you do everything in one place.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I agree and I use your method as well.
In any event, thank you for reminding me about BMT.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Iin BMT I am unable to edit anything it remains as a song file & when i looked in suggested file for encoding it only showed the audio track encoding. This suggests to me something in file is corrupted or missing although i can play it fine in another player.