SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-20-2018, 04:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Sage erasing recordings to make space. Whaaat?

This has never happened before. As I’m recording some very long Olympic broadcasts, six to eight hours at a time, Sage decided to overwrite a bunch of stuff I really didn’t want to lose.
Never happened before, as I set my fill limit at 20gb per recording drive.
Any idea how this happened? I used Recuva to try and get the shows back, but most were gone, overwritten by the Olympic programs.
Is there a setting I don’t know about that was turned on, or ignored by a Java update? I’m very confused over this one.
Anyone have an explanation?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 02-20-2018, 04:47 PM
Sage Icon

Were they manual recordings, favorites, or something else that got deleted?
For favorites there is a setting in each favorite for whether and when Sage is allowed to delete it.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 02-20-2018, 09:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Were they manual recordings, favorites, or something else that got deleted?
For favorites there is a setting in each favorite for whether and when Sage is allowed to delete it.
ah, well, the shows that got deleted had the ‘M’ beside them, aka Manual Recordings? For some reason, not sure why, I deleted that status from those recordings. Did that then offer them up as fair-game? I didn’t realize a recording would erase until AFTER the 20gb rule had been passed. Maybe it had.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 02-21-2018, 06:45 AM
SageTVaholic

If you remove the manual recording status, then nothing protects those recordings from deletion, they'll (probably) be among the first to be deleted since they're the equivalent of liveTV recordings, or intelligent recordings, and likely old.

Also what "20GB rule"?
Old 02-21-2018, 06:51 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
ah, well, the shows that got deleted had the ‘M’ beside them, aka Manual Recordings? For some reason, not sure why, I deleted that status from those recordings. Did that then offer them up as fair-game? I didn’t realize a recording would erase until AFTER the 20gb rule had been passed. Maybe it had.
Shows with M are manual recordings. They are highest priority when scheduling and the last thing Sage will delete to make space (actually I’m not sure if Sage will ever delete them automatically).

Shows with F are favorites. They are next highest priority and follow the rules you set up when you create the favorite. You can also setup default rules that will get used for all new favorites you create (my default is to never let Sage delete and always add 5 minutes if padding before and after).

Shows that don’t have M or F are treated like junk. Sage can delete these at any time that it thinks it needs the space. If you have intelligent recordings turned on, they appear this way. Also, if you remove the manual and/or favorite status for a recording they end up in this state. The other way it can happen is if a show’s metadata changes after the recording is made ( for example if Sage records a favorite, but then does an EPG update and finds out the schedule changed and the recording wasn’t what it was supposed to be).

Live TV also leaves recordings that look this way in you recording list, but Sage keeps track of these recordings and deletes them very soon after you stop watching, even if it doesn’t really need the space.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 02-21-2018, 09:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
If you remove the manual recording status, then nothing protects those recordings from deletion, they'll (probably) be among the first to be deleted since they're the equivalent of liveTV recordings, or intelligent recordings, and likely old.

Also what "20GB rule"?
when you set up recording drives / locations, you can set a rule to “ not record when drives have xxxx space left”. I set mine to 20gb, to avoid this type of thing. At least that’s what I thought it would do, aka stop the recording when the drive hit 20gb of empty space.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Shows with M are manual recordings. They are highest priority when scheduling and the last thing Sage will delete to make space (actually I’m not sure if Sage will ever delete them automatically).

Shows with F are favorites. They are next highest priority and follow the rules you set up when you create the favorite. You can also setup default rules that will get used for all new favorites you create (my default is to never let Sage delete and always add 5 minutes if padding before and after).

Shows that don’t have M or F are treated like junk. Sage can delete these at any time that it thinks it needs the space. If you have intelligent recordings turned on, they appear this way. Also, if you remove the manual and/or favorite status for a recording they end up in this state. The other way it can happen is if a show’s metadata changes after the recording is made ( for example if Sage records a favorite, but then does an EPG update and finds out the schedule changed and the recording wasn’t what it was supposed to be).

Live TV also leaves recordings that look this way in you recording list, but Sage keeps track of these recordings and deletes them very soon after you stop watching, even if it doesn’t really need the space.
excellent info, thanks. then it was my goof I think...😱
Old 02-21-2018, 11:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Do you mean the "Leave Free" setting? That tells Sage to leave that much space free, for example if you have something else that uses the recording drive and you need to leave some space free so the other thing can still write to the drive.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:19 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I believe recordings with an A (archived) are also treated the same as manual and will never be automatically removed.

The only way, that I know of, to protect a recording that has nothing next to it, M, A, or F is to place it on a drive that SageTV can't record to but can import from. However, I believe STV is smart enough that any imported shows into the Recorded TV view will automatically be assigned archived status.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s