SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:08 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzJazz View Post
I am running into an odd situation where the SageTV MiniClient will lock up when accessing some videos on my NAS device.

Most videos on the NAS will play fine. Recordings stored on the NAS also play fine.

However, as I scroll through my imported "Folders" list, the MiniClient will freeze when it touches (not even playing) certain files. The control menu is still accessible, but the SageTV GUI stays stuck. I have to use the control menu to forcibly exit the MiniClient before I can use the MiniClient again.

Is there anything I can collect / send to help identify the issue?

Thanks,

AzJazz
I had this problem and it was due to some long file names, (late night shows that put all the guests in the title). More here:

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64725
Old 12-04-2017, 06:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
I had this problem and it was due to some long file names, (late night shows that put all the guests in the title). More here:

I actually looked at this a couple of weeks ago... I thought about fixing this on the miniclient, but, I actually think it might be easier to fix it on the server. I can be fixed ONLY on the miniclient, but, it's more complicated, since I need to keep the original filesnames that the server sends me, to send it back to the server on connect, etc. I might look at adding a miniclient property telling the server that it can only support filenames of x size and then have the server ensure that it sends a correct file.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I actually looked at this a couple of weeks ago... I thought about fixing this on the miniclient, but, I actually think it might be easier to fix it on the server. I can be fixed ONLY on the miniclient, but, it's more complicated, since I need to keep the original filesnames that the server sends me, to send it back to the server on connect, etc. I might look at adding a miniclient property telling the server that it can only support filenames of x size and then have the server ensure that it sends a correct file.
Thanks, guys!

This has been driving me nuts ... I'm glad that the root cause has been identified, even if there isn't an immediate solution available.

SageTV: v9.x (on Win7x64)
CPU: Core i7-3770 @ 3.40+ GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600
GPU: nVidia GTX-770
RCVR: HD-Homerun
STB: STX-HD100, HD-300
Old 12-06-2017, 09:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have a sort of workaround - I disabled the setting that adds the episode name on the recording so now I just have "someshow S01 E03.mpg" etc. Metadata parsers do just fine with it and I don't usually mess around with the files themselves, so it helps.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf77 View Post
I have a sort of workaround - I disabled the setting that adds the episode name on the recording so now I just have "someshow S01 E03.mpg" etc. Metadata parsers do just fine with it and I don't usually mess around with the files themselves, so it helps.
Thanks for the suggested temporary work-around, DarkWolf77 - I turned off the the episode name for now until a better thing comes around.

SageTV: v9.x (on Win7x64)
CPU: Core i7-3770 @ 3.40+ GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600
GPU: nVidia GTX-770
RCVR: HD-Homerun
STB: STX-HD100, HD-300
Old 03-28-2018, 08:32 AM
Sage Icon

Did we ever move any closer to a fix on this issue? Still one of the biggest problems with Sage according to my hangers-on.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 03-28-2018, 09:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
Did we ever move any closer to a fix on this issue? Still one of the biggest problems with Sage according to my hangers-on.
unfortunately, still no movement on this
Old 04-03-2018, 06:30 AM
Sage Expert

Any thoughts on trying the latest EXOv2 builds that (supposedly) include Plex code submissions that could be relevant to Sage's MPEG2 playback?
Old 04-03-2018, 07:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
Any thoughts on trying the latest EXOv2 builds that (supposedly) include Plex code submissions that could be relevant to Sage's MPEG2 playback?
I'm not seeing anything in the release notes about that
https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer/...ELEASENOTES.md

We are currently on 2.7.0 (if I recall) the 2.7.1 and 2.7.2 releases didn't look like they added much that would benefit us. Can you be more specific in terms what you think was added?
Old 04-03-2018, 06:58 PM
Sage Expert

I'm speculating that Plex's changes aren't in those versions. I asked and they previous answered saying that the various changes they're making for MPEG2 playback are being shared back.

They claim to have resolved stuttering issues among others. There's still a lot of work to be done, but their EXOv2 can properly play back all of my Sage recordings.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm speculating that Plex's changes aren't in those versions. I asked and they previous answered saying that the various changes they're making for MPEG2 playback are being shared back.

They claim to have resolved stuttering issues among others. There's still a lot of work to be done, but their EXOv2 can properly play back all of my Sage recordings.
Do you have link to Plex's fork for Exo... I an try to take a look at it and see if we can use it as the base instead of the main Exo branch.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:40 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Do you have link to Plex's fork for Exo.
No replies from anyone at Plex about this yet. Reaching out to someone else directly now...
Old 04-13-2018, 07:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
No replies from anyone at Plex about this yet. Reaching out to someone else directly now...
Surprise surprise (Basically why I gave up doing anything with plex except use it at is, because they are not a very open bunch of people )
Old 04-16-2018, 07:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Surprise surprise (Basically why I gave up doing anything with plex except use it at is, because they are not a very open bunch of people )
Yeah, my complaint about Plex is that they run on the cheap and have no real official support. They use their forums for support which isn't always helpful.

I wanted to give some feedback about the way too frequent Plex Docker updates. One of their staff eventually answered and was telling me that what I was seeing wasn't possible, etc even after I'd explained I had experience with Docker. I eventually posted a screenshot of my unRAID updating Plex. The way too frequent updates have now stopped but getting to that point was way too difficult. Giving knowledgeable feedback shouldn't be difficult and frustrating as on a forum your feedback gets drown out by other noise or more easily misinterpreted.

They have a nice product but need better support.