SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

how is this card functioning in windows & linux setups now that sagetv has been adjusted to support the card?
I am thinking about making the switch. I currently have 2 - 2255 cards working in win 10. when I do a scan on linux side using
"w_scan -fa -A1 -c CA -X" it only finds half of the usual channels. I am not sure if it is a driver/firmware issue in linux or fine tuning/signal issue. Since the quad card has full support maybe i will have better luck with this newer card? The older cards have been put through the paces & i want to adjust to newer hardware before they die. Any suggestions on how to improve tuning on the linux side in the interim?
Old 10-01-2017, 07:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Don't know about Linux but I just bought and deployed this card under SageTV V9.6.747+Windows 10 and it works great - at least as well as the two Avermedia cards it replaced.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

The new Silicondust Connect Quatro seems like a better solution. Putting a tuner inside a PC with all of the potential interference doesn't seem ideal. It also adds additional heat to the case that needs to be dissipated.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think it's a matter of preference. Any PC has to have proper ventilation and cooling and EMI interference is a non-issue in my experience. External network tuners require a power brick and occupy additional space, generate network traffic and are susceptible to network issues and outages of ethernet switches. Over the past few years, I've used OTA tuners from Silicondust, Avermedia and now Hauppauge. I started with the original HDHR's but I always experienced occasional glitches in recordings due to some network issues (despite my efforts to mitigate those). Same thing with their HDHR Prime. I still have the HDHR equipment but use it for live TV with an Nvidia Shield. My experience is that "in the box" (e.g. PCIe cards) are better than Network appliances. Nowadays I admit the HDHR devices seem to be less "glitchy" than in the past, but for SageTV, I am using a Ceton PCIe6 for cable and the new QuadHD for OTA and they are working great.