SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:13 AM
Sage Fanatic

250gb SSD cache big enough for sage, dockers, VMs? Pool?

finally have my array drives triple-pass zeroed and ready to start setting things up. I have a brand new 250gb samsung EVO ssd that i planned on using as cache, but the more i'm reading it seems like that might not be enough. I plan on two win10 VMs, several dockers and sage. Given that nest case everything gets written to cache first then mover cleans up, is 250gb enough or should i go get a 500gb ssd?

Also, is it worth setting up a 2nd cache drive as a mirror?
Old 08-13-2017, 09:50 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrcp2000 View Post
finally have my array drives triple-pass zeroed and ready to start setting things up. I have a brand new 250gb samsung EVO ssd that i planned on using as cache, but the more i'm reading it seems like that might not be enough. I plan on two win10 VMs, several dockers and sage. Given that nest case everything gets written to cache first then mover cleans up, is 250gb enough or should i go get a 500gb ssd?

I suppose it depends on how big you want the VMs and how many recordings you want to keep around before mover takes care of them. Add all that up and some overhead.

When I tested the removal of an SSD (2nd cache drive), the system remained up with no problems, but I did have issues when I reattached the drive. That could be because I didn't format the drive before reinserting. The drive showed up as OK again, but I had some corruption in the Dockers and VMs.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrcp2000 View Post

I don't run a very heavy load on my sage server these days most time peaking out at 4 recordings in an hour during prime time), and my 128GB cache pool holds up fine. That said, I also use OpenDCT to compress all my recordings on the fly, so they may be taking up less space than the original MPEG-2 would have.

If I was to start using the server for a lot more, I''d probably pick up a 256GB SSD to add in with the 2 128's I've got now, which will double my space.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room