SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-22-2017, 08:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

I added a 1 minute earlier on a recording. v9 records the 1 minute early but starts the program on the real time start of SD (why). I have to manually move it to the 1 minute early start. Yesterdays show started 45 seconds late. In Ver 6, I believe the show would start at the 1 minute early point and play on to the late end point. Can we get the shows to start at the early start point. Wife would be happy!!
Old 07-22-2017, 08:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryb33 View Post
I added a 1 minute earlier on a recording. v9 records the 1 minute early but starts the program on the real time start of SD (why). I have to manually move it to the 1 minute early start. Yesterdays show started 45 seconds late. In Ver 6, I believe the show would start at the 1 minute early point and play on to the late end point. Can we get the shows to start at the early start point. Wife would be happy!!
Do you move the recordings from the original recording location to someplace else (nas maybe?)
I see that all the time on our early padding recordings that we move to the nas.
Happened also when we were on V6
Old 07-22-2017, 10:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
Do you move the recordings from the original recording location to someplace else (nas maybe?)
I see that all the time on our early padding recordings that we move to the nas.
Happened also when we were on V6
No, they are where sage puts them. The program starts on the yellow bar which is the SD start time. My memory is like an elephants(a dead one). I could be wrong on my Ver 6 quote.

Do I have to do anything with padding? I just do the 1 minute early on the favorites page.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Does Sage need to "wake up" in order to record?

If so you may need to adjust the sleep settings in Sage's Setup. Sage may need to wake before the the recording is set to record.

I have Sage wakeup 5 minutes before any scheduled program is set to record. This is not the same as the "start recording x minutes early" that is set when creating a favorite (I also have Sage start recordings at least a minute early as well).

Of course if your clock sync is off, that could do it as well.

The only constant in the Universe is change.

Last edited by UgaData; 07-22-2017 at 03:47 PM. Reason: forgot clock disclaimer :)
Old 07-23-2017, 06:36 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
What we have right now is kind of a poor man's NTP that is mostly dependent on you having a reasonably fast internet connection or there might be a bit of skew when the time is set. There are dedicated programs out there that would get the job done much more accurately without SageTV needing to be involved. It's no effort to leave it in; I just don't feel like we are providing a real benefit since what we do have isn't very good.
The built-in Windows clock adjustment I think is actually worse as from Google it seems to default to a weekly "blind" sync while from what it seems the SageTV one is still "blind" but more frequent i.e. around daily when the EPG is updated. And that's assuming the Windows or EPG source isn't having time problems upon query. Ubuntu and unRAID have better solutions built-in that adjust for skew over time. My concern there is that if you have more than one thing messing with the clock, (especially when one is just a blind sync with some third party over the Internet), there might be fights between them, (and if I remember from NTP days too big a change will not happen without multiple smaller adjustments over time to get a history). The GUI for this option doesn't really explain things. Maybe the change is instead of just getting rid of the option is to have a second menu that says something like this: "This option should only be enabled if your server has internal clock problems that cannot be solved by a better means. Do not enable unless you know what you're doing."
Old 08-05-2017, 02:37 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
I'm not sure, but I think the Windows time server only syncs during boot up? Is the same true with Ubuntu?

When I used Windows I used a program called Nettime (I think) that allowed me to sync my computer to atomic clocks at specified intervals (hourly, daily, etc.) It was very helpful. I know there are a couple of programs for Linux (thank you matt91 for pointing one out) that I hope have the same options?
I've been having issues with precision on my start/stop recording times forever. I recently spotted this post and turned-off sage's time synch (which worked better than windows'!), downloaded nettime, and my issues have mostly disappeared! Thanks!

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @4025 MHz, 8G G.Skill Performance
DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS Plus; SilverStone Decathlon DA1000 (died - back to an ancient enermax)
eVGA 7900 GT KO RoHS -- Zalman VP900CU Cooling
Synology NAS 22TB