SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:39 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
If you try enough times, it should lock your Schedules Direct account out if you're communicating with them. Port 443 is a little new for SageTV, but you likely don't have it blocked outgoing. Another log file containing logs from your attempt to authenticate might give us an idea of what's happening in your situation.

Edit: I noticed something in your old log: The hostname json.schedulesdirect.org didn't resolve. Can you ping that FQDN from your server?
BINGO!!! Nice catch on the failure to resolve. So yes, it looks like the CenturyLink changed DNS servers and I had it static coded in the SageSVR so it didn't automatically pick that up. I reset the DNS server addresses and now it resolves. Connected immediately to Schedules Direct (and I even got the "use existing password" or "change usersname/password" prompt you spoke of). Setting up my sources now. AWESOME SUPPORT - THANK YOU
Sage advocate since V2.2; Ahanix MCE701 MCE Multimedia case; Gigabyte MB, e6600 Core2Duo 3.0Ghz; GeForce 8600 PCIe; 4 GB DDR-1033; Dual Hauppauge 1600 HD OTA tuners; HD-PVR connected to Dish Network 211 receiver. RAID 1 500GB Sata2 + 1.5TB CAVIER recordings drive; Windows Server 2003; Sage TV 7; 2 STX-HD200 Media Extenders
Old 11-15-2017, 08:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
If you try enough times, it should lock your Schedules Direct account out if you're communicating with them. Port 443 is a little new for SageTV, but you likely don't have it blocked outgoing. Another log file containing logs from your attempt to authenticate might give us an idea of what's happening in your situation.

Edit: I noticed something in your old log: The hostname json.schedulesdirect.org didn't resolve. Can you ping that FQDN from your server?
I too am trying to set up a new Hdhomerun Connect Duo and am greeted by the dreaded "there was a problem communicating with the schedules direct server" when trying to add an OTA lineup. All the steps until that point work properly, and I am able to ping that address.

Anything simple I'm missing? I can setup my iOS device to watch OTA channels, and the HDHomerun software on Windows also accesses the scanned channels from my attenna. The only hangup is adding a lineup.

I currently have two lineups on my SD account.

Any ideas - it must be something stupid. lol. Oh, I can sign into my SD account properly, so I'd be surprised if that's the problem
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 11-15-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:50 AM
Sage User

I am also getting the same error "there was a problem communicating with the schedules direct server" when trying to add an OTA lineup (tuner is Wintv-quadHD). All the steps until that point work properly, and I am also able to ping json.schedulesdirect.org from my production system (see below for more details about this system and my test system).

I happen to have a PC (Win 7, 32-bit) that was decommissioned recently with a Hauppauge 1850 and I tried a fresh SageTV V9 install (no prior install of any SageTV server on this old PC). I got the same error as when I tried it with my production system (Win 10, 64-bit running SaveTV V9.1.5.683). So, this rules out pretty much everything on my side, especially since I was able to add a source (FIOS QUAM lineup) when I first installed V9 on the windows 10 system about 6 months ago.

I also currently have two lineups on my SD account (one for SageTV and one for NextPVR). I am able to login via the SD website and when SageTV prompts me to use the same saved userid/password it moves right along to the next step, so no auth issues. FYI, I tried to add a lineup via NextPVR and I am able to search SD for lineups, pick USA-OTA for my zip and then I get some java error and nothing gets added.

Finally, if this is a Schedules Direct issue, would a simple lineup problem report via their site do any good? What should I include from SageTV when filing the lineup problem report? Please help me and thank you in advance, this is driving me crazy!! (However, feel much better now that I don't believe its me or my relatively new install.)
Old 11-16-2017, 10:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkicer View Post
I am also getting the same error "there was a problem communicating with the schedules direct server" when trying to add an OTA lineup (tuner is Wintv-quadHD). All the steps until that point work properly, and I am also able to ping json.schedulesdirect.org from my production system (see below for more details about this system and my test system).

I happen to have a PC (Win 7, 32-bit) that was decommissioned recently with a Hauppauge 1850 and I tried a fresh SageTV V9 install (no prior install of any SageTV server on this old PC). I got the same error as when I tried it with my production system (Win 10, 64-bit running SaveTV V9.1.5.683). So, this rules out pretty much everything on my side, especially since I was able to add a source (FIOS QUAM lineup) when I first installed V9 on the windows 10 system about 6 months ago.

I also currently have two lineups on my SD account (one for SageTV and one for NextPVR). I am able to login via the SD website and when SageTV prompts me to use the same saved userid/password it moves right along to the next step, so no auth issues. FYI, I tried to add a lineup via NextPVR and I am able to search SD for lineups, pick USA-OTA for my zip and then I get some java error and nothing gets added.

Finally, if this is a Schedules Direct issue, would a simple lineup problem report via their site do any good? What should I include from SageTV when filing the lineup problem report? Please help me and thank you in advance, this is driving me crazy!! (However, feel much better now that I don't believe its me or my relatively new install.)
I think my next step is sending an email to SD, since this seems to be the hangup. It’s possible a recent Java update is the culprit, but they’d know that kind of thing before I would. Just out of curiosity, does your SD password include any numbers or characters, as opposed to letters only?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-16-2017, 11:16 AM
Sage User

My password does have chracters and numbers (no special chars). I also thought it could have been a JAVA issue, however, I have tried 3 different versions of JAVA on two different machines to no avail. I am not saying that is not your issue, tvmaster2 or trying to shutdown what you think it might be (just stating that in my case, it very unlikely). On the windows 7 PC that I used to test the new V9 install, I loaded an image from a year ago before I did a fresh install of SageTV V9. On my production system, I had a JAVA update pending and when ahead and applied it and the issue still happening.

My suspicion now is that it may be something to do with my particular SD account or Zip code. I am going to try to create a test SD account and use the free 7 day trial to test on the Win 7 system. Perhaps there is a limit to how my JSON lineups you can have or some other limit (like you mentioned with the password). I will post later if my testing yields any positive results.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
My password does have chracters and numbers (no special chars). I also thought it could have been a JAVA issue, however, I have tried 3 different versions of JAVA on two different machines to no avail. I am not saying that is not your issue, tvmaster2 or trying to shutdown what you think it might be (just stating that in my case, it very unlikely). On the windows 7 PC that I used to test the new V9 install, I loaded an image from a year ago before I did a fresh install of SageTV V9. On my production system, I had a JAVA update pending and when ahead and applied it and the issue still happening.

My suspicion now is that it may be something to do with my particular SD account or Zip code. I am going to try to create a test SD account and use the free 7 day trial to test on the Win 7 system. Perhaps there is a limit to how my JSON lineups you can have or some other limit (like you mentioned with the password). I will post later if my testing yields any positive results.
ok, good to eliminate the JAVA angle then. Did you delete your sdauth file from the SageTV directory by chance, to see if it had become corrupted? Is the limit four or five lineups? For some reason I thought it was five, and with the HDhomerun tuners, you'd only be using one lineup for an antenna zipcode, as you'd just COPY the lineup to each tuner.

Last edited by tvmaster2; 11-16-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantonow View Post
BINGO!!! Nice catch on the failure to resolve. So yes, it looks like the CenturyLink changed DNS servers and I had it static coded in the SageSVR so it didn't automatically pick that up. I reset the DNS server addresses and now it resolves. Connected immediately to Schedules Direct (and I even got the "use existing password" or "change usersname/password" prompt you spoke of). Setting up my sources now. AWESOME SUPPORT - THANK YOU
Hey there - can you explain this another way? A couple of us are having a similar problem, but I didn't quite understand what you did here to have Sage add the OTA lineup.
thanks
Old 11-16-2017, 12:05 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Is the limit four or five lineups?
The limit is four lineups.

Quote:
Hey there - can you explain this another way? A couple of us are having a similar problem, but I didn't quite understand what you did here to have Sage add the OTA lineup.
thanks
It should be easy to rule out a DNS issue: on the computer that's running the Sage server software, try to ping json.schedulesdirect.org. The name should get resolved to some IP address, followed by replies to the ping. I just tried this now and noticed that it points some amazonaws server (heavy duty!).
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFred View Post
The limit is four lineups.

It should be easy to rule out a DNS issue: on the computer that's running the Sage server software, try to ping json.schedulesdirect.org. The name should get resolved to some IP address, followed by replies to the ping. I just tried this now and noticed that it points some amazonaws server (heavy duty!).
thanks - pinging that address indeed works
Old 11-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Sage User

No dice from my last round of testing. I created a Trial user with Schedules Direct and removed the sdauth (restarted SageTV V9 afterwards). It appears that Schedules Direct has issues at the moment creating JSON linups for Over The Air lineups, as I got the same error message as before with the Trial User. The Setup Wizard allows me to add Comcast, DirecTV, etc. but not OTA for my zip. Once the non-OTA lineups are added and listed on the Setup Wizard, I can select them and continue to scan for Channels.

I have now tried two different of the following: PC hardware, OS, TV tuner, JAVA version, userid with Schedules Direct, SageTV V9 versions, all character passwords for the Trial SD user, two different ZIP codes.

(FYI, I tried a really old version of NextPVR from the 1 year old OS image I had loaded on the Win7 PC and that actually yielded a promising popup "The lineup is being generated on the server. Please Retry." I did as the popup suggested and tried it again and got a JAVA error as noted earlier.)

I hope this some how helps us get OTA lineups and we can figure this out. Thanks for bouncing ideas with me, I hate giving up but I don't have any more ideas.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
No dice from my last round of testing. I created a Trial user with Schedules Direct and removed the sdauth (restarted SageTV V9 afterwards). It appears that Schedules Direct has issues at the moment creating JSON linups for Over The Air lineups, as I got the same error message as before with the Trial User. The Setup Wizard allows me to add Comcast, DirecTV, etc. but not OTA for my zip. Once the non-OTA lineups are added and listed on the Setup Wizard, I can select them and continue to scan for Channels.

I have now tried two different of the following: PC hardware, OS, TV tuner, JAVA version, userid with Schedules Direct, SageTV V9 versions, all character passwords for the Trial SD user, two different ZIP codes.

(FYI, I tried a really old version of NextPVR from the 1 year old OS image I had loaded on the Win7 PC and that actually yielded a promising popup "The lineup is being generated on the server. Please Retry." I did as the popup suggested and tried it again and got a JAVA error as noted earlier.)

I hope this some how helps us get OTA lineups and we can figure this out. Thanks for bouncing ideas with me, I hate giving up but I don't have any more ideas.
send this info to SD - they responded to me email after only two hours, but don’t have an idea at the moment. The more info they get the better?
Old 11-16-2017, 02:55 PM
Sage User

Try it again now. I just go a very quick reply from SD asking me to try it again and it WORKED!! I was able to add OTA for my zip and got a message that I had 5 modification left. Amazing customer support via their report a problem web page.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Try it again now. I just go a very quick reply from SD asking me to try it again and it WORKED!! I was able to add OTA for my zip and got a message that I had 5 modification left. Amazing customer support via their report a problem web page.
I got that ‘5 left’ page, but only when trying to add anything BUT an OTA lineup. Did you do anything differentl since contacting them? Oh, and which box did you write to them at? And, when you added the lineup, was Sage Service running?

Last edited by tvmaster2; 11-16-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:14 PM
Sage User

I was successful using my production Win 10 system and with the proper SD userid. If you got the ‘5 left’ message, then something else is wrong now, since I never got that far prior to the fix when trying to add OTA.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I was successful using my production Win 10 system and with the proper SD userid. If you got the ‘5 left’ message, then something else is wrong now, since I never got that far prior to the fix when trying to add OTA.
Was your user/pass accepted automatically without having to enter them, aka from the sdauth file?
Old 11-16-2017, 03:30 PM
Sage User

Yes, I used the saved credentials. In Fact, I did not cleared the sdauth file on my production server, I only tried that on the Win 7 test system.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes, I used the saved credentials. In Fact, I did not cleared the sdauth file on my production server, I only tried that on the Win 7 test system.
So guess what? After emailing with SD, the problem was gone and I was able to add the OTA tuners. I’m waiting to hear from them aka what was the reason they got it working where I couldn’t.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:25 PM
Sage User

That is really good news, tvmaster2. Glad you got it working too. I am truly amazed wth the turn around by Schedules Direct and I am even questioning why I did not submit the bug report earlier, before I dusted off my old Win 7 PC and reloaded a year old image? Ain't computing fun?

Well, just in case any one reads this tread, I want to mention a few other pointer that are frankly hard to believe. I have two winTV-quadHD cards, one OTA and the other FIOS QAM. Well the tunnel are not in order in SageTV but rather like this:

tuner OTA
tuner #2 QAM
tuner #3 QAM
tuner #4 OTA
tuner 2 OTA
tuner 2#2 QAM
tuner 2#3 QAM
tuner 2#4 OTA

Please God, don't let that order above change on some reboot or will loose my mind! Also, with in the same QAM card, some tuners need the frequency id to be able to tune. For example, my local CBS channel is 71-9-1 but only one of the 4 tuners likes that, the others need the physical channel to be 71-0-1013. So, all 4 QAM tuners have their own respective lineup, copied from the main FIOS QAM that SD pulls down. Crazy stuff I tell you.