SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sage V5.04 EPG Help

We, obviously have not touched SageTV in years, using V5.04 on XP SP1. With the EPG gone, does anyone remember what was/is/can be used for an EPG now with my setup?
XP SP1A; Sage V5.04; ; IN-WIN BT611T Case, custom full height conversion; Asus A7N8X VM/400; AthlonXP 2000, Palomino Core; Thermaltake Volcano 12 heatsink w/ sucking 80mm squirrel-cage fan, Zalman Fan-Mate on 5V, min setting; PNY 512MB PC2700; Gigabyte 7600 fanless, 256MB; 2 x Samsung Spinpoint 250GB; 3 x PVR250MCE; 3 x Hughes E8 OTA HD downconverters; External Fortron 400W Silent w/Performance-PCs.com extension cables; modified ZM-MC1 to 7V & 5V; Evercool 60 & 80mm fans @ 7V; StreamZap Remote

Last edited by hmca; 07-16-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:59 PM
Sage Expert

They only option "might" be XMLTV. I'm not even sure if that would run.

Have you thought about upgrading to version 9? It has built in Schedules Direct support.

It might be a bit of work upgrading to v9 from v5 (I'm not sure if you would need to do it in steps - upgrade to 6, then 7, and then 9). But I think it would be less work than trying to get XMLTV working on v5.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Not enough info in these posts for me to feel like I can help. What version of SageTV do you currently use? It sort of sounds like the Guide stopped working so logically you came here where you saw schedules direct is what you need but you want to implement it on a version of Sage TV older than version 9. I don't think that is possible. Other ways of getting guide data on older versions I don't know anything about. Is there a reason not to upgrade to v9 and use Schedules Direct guide data?

Version 9 is free. My upgrade from v6 using HDHomeRun tuners and the SageMC user interface to v9 with HDHomeRun tuners and the SageMC User Interface was pretty painless. SageTV setup and customization has gotten easier over the years. After upgrade if you don't like the v9 user interface you can most likely switch to the user interface you have been using on your older version. SageTV 2, SageTV 3, SageMC, and newer UIs are available in SageTV 9 on the plugins menu under UI.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

I was under the impression that V9 could not run on XP SP1. My sig shows our old computer specs. Doubt it is capable of W7. Please correct me if it will run on XP SP 1.
XP SP1A; Sage V5.04; ; IN-WIN BT611T Case, custom full height conversion; Asus A7N8X VM/400; AthlonXP 2000, Palomino Core; Thermaltake Volcano 12 heatsink w/ sucking 80mm squirrel-cage fan, Zalman Fan-Mate on 5V, min setting; PNY 512MB PC2700; Gigabyte 7600 fanless, 256MB; 2 x Samsung Spinpoint 250GB; 3 x PVR250MCE; 3 x Hughes E8 OTA HD downconverters; External Fortron 400W Silent w/Performance-PCs.com extension cables; modified ZM-MC1 to 7V & 5V; Evercool 60 & 80mm fans @ 7V; StreamZap Remote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:18 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmca View Post
I was under the impression that V9 could not run on XP SP1. My sig shows our old computer specs. Doubt it is capable of W7. Please correct me if it will run on XP SP 1.
https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64758
Old 07-16-2017, 08:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmca View Post
SageTV V7.0 User’s Guide Chapter 1: Introduction Page 9

Minimum System Requirements
Windows 98SE or later operating system
Recommended minimum 256MB RAM
Genuine Intel Pentium III 600 MHz, AMD Athlon 600 MHz or faster or VIA 800MHz
Installed compatible TV tuner MPEG-2 or MPEG4/DivX encoding card or USB device.
(As of version 3.0, SageTV is now able to use both hardware and software encoders;
check the list of compatible cards and devices at www.sagetv.com/requirements.html.)
PCI/AGP bus graphics card with overlay. NOTE: While it is recommended that your
graphics card drivers support DirectX9 for optimum performance, it is not required.
DirectX v9.0 or higher available from www.microsoft.com/windows/directx
Java Runtime Environment v1.4 or higher available from java.sun.com/getjava
Analog or Digital Cable, Satellite, or Broadcast TV for recording television
Internet Connection (for Programming Guide Data Service)
20 MB Free disk space for SageTV application, database, and documentation
Recommended minimum 20 GB Free disk space for video storage, i.e. Great Quality
Setting takes about 2 GB per hour of video stored
For best results, SageTV recommends that you use a dedicated partition for video
storage.
Currently, SageTV provides electronic programming guide data service (the "EPG
Service") for the US and Canada to End Users at no charge. End User acknowledges that
SageTV reserves the right to discontinue provision of the EPG Services or may
separately charge End Users for provision of the EPG Service.

If you had to I would think you could install sp3. I don't know of anything that doesn't run on XP sp3.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:58 AM
Sage Icon

I have seen posts from many people that are successfully running Sage v9 on Windows XP. However, most of them did struggle at least a little with the installation. Most of them found that they had to manually install a Windows update for the Windows installer.

I haven't seen any posts about SP1 - I think most were on SP3.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 07-17-2017, 08:58 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
I have seen posts from many people that are successfully running Sage v9 on Windows XP. However, most of them did struggle at least a little with the installation.
I've installed it on Windows 2003 (same as XP). I couldn't use the installer so I just did the manual install process for v9, like we had to do before the installer was created. SD and everything works great.

Works as expected though I am considering switching to a more modern version of Windows. Correct me if I am wrong, but v9 for Windows is a 64bit program, STV can access more than 2gigs of RAM, right?

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 07-17-2017, 09:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
I've installed it on Windows 2003 (same as XP). I couldn't use the installer so I just did the manual install process for v9, like we had to do before the installer was created. SD and everything works great.

Works as expected though I am considering switching to a more modern version of Windows. Correct me if I am wrong, but v9 for Windows is a 64bit program, STV can access more than 2gigs of RAM, right?
It is 32 bit on windows so max java heap is still 1024. It can easily run on 64 bit OS's though.

k
Old 07-17-2017, 09:20 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
It is 32 bit on windows so max java heap is still 1024. It can easily run on 64 bit OS's though.
Good information; I had a feeling it was only 32 bit for Windows.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 07-17-2017, 09:47 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
I was able to use the installer with the latest version (9.1.5.166) on 2003 over my v7 install (ran the installer twice, second time in repair mode). There was one error during installation about a dll that couldn't be found/registered. I think it had something to do with EVR, which windows xp/2003 doesn't really support anyway. I just clicked ignore or continue. Its been working great and is more stable than v7... should have switched much earlier...
Check out TVExplorer
Old 07-23-2017, 03:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for all the info guys.
Just a couple of questions:
1. Can there be a plugin created to operate Schedules Direct or is V5.04 just not capable.
2. We have a lot of plug-ins and updates to 5.04 as listed below. What does V9 have included and what do we loose? Or are there updated Plug-ins to give us back what we have now?

From V4: Unofficial Secret Extra V4 Features
Sage TV Recording Style
• Default Menu
• Malore’s Custom Menu
• Mlbdude’s 2 pane menu
Recording Schedule Style
• Default interleaved
• Parallel
• Malore’s Custom menu
Enable Malore’s Custom Menu’s
• Watched bars
• Smart select
• Malore Menu font size
• Set Movie channels
• Show XML File and Commercial detection in Pop-up menus
Menu Header Disc Space Bar Options
• Enable/disable
• Configure Space Bar options
Live TV guide marks First Runs
Live TV Guide marks HDTV
Set Background Image
Show Watched Portion

From V5: Dynamic Main Menu
• Allows the Sage menu to be user customizable
Nielm’s STV Dynamic Menu
Set Sage.properties
• Set scheduling_lookahead =604800000 for 1 week (7 days)
Set Tuner Merit
SageTV Studio
• Remove “StorageDeviceAdded” popup
StreamZap remote
• Configuration Options
Old 07-23-2017, 06:25 PM
Sage Icon

I'm sure it would be technically possible to write a plugin for SD on Sage v5, but I highly doubt anyone will do this (unless you do it yourself). This is open source software now with a pretty small developer community - there is very little interest in trying to support anything other than the latest releases.

Malore menus are built in to v9 as an option that can be toggled on or off. Same for the disk space bar. There is a plugin available to customize menus called ADM. There are several other plugins that replace the UI.

There is also a plugin that lets you use the Sage v3 UI (this UI was used for v3-6 of Sage). By default, Sage v9 uses the Sage v7 UI.

So, I don't think you lose anything by going to v9.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR