SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Clean V9 setup - can't get past entering zip for channel list

I tried an upgrade and had all kinds of issues with the EPG so I thought I'd start from scratch. When I get to the point in setup where you enter the zip to get a list of cable providers I get "error connecting to EPG server". If the Sage EPG server never comes back up how do I get past this to finish the setup?
Old 06-24-2017, 09:18 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
I tried an upgrade and had all kinds of issues with the EPG so I thought I'd start from scratch. When I get to the point in setup where you enter the zip to get a list of cable providers I get "error connecting to EPG server". If the Sage EPG server never comes back up how do I get past this to finish the setup?

It's been forever since I installed a new setup. Can you press 'home' and bail out of the configuration wizard? If it forces you through a Sage EPG setup that will need fixed after July.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
If the Sage EPG server never comes back up how do I get past this to finish the setup?
If you just use Schedules Direct EPG, I believe you will avoid this issue. I just did a version 7 to version 9 upgrade this morning and there was no issue with the EPG. Using the import/export channel lineup plugin made the whole process fairly painless.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

wnjj/KryptoNyte:

Duh...user error....At the first screen of source setup I didn't see the second option to use Schedules Direct. Once I did that, and got it accept my SD user name and password it worked. I'm now waiting for it to do the channel scan.There was something about the SD password I used it didn't like. I had to change it to a simple one on their site first.

Next hurdle is the EPG itself. Most of the channels didn't match up previously, doing an upgrade. I'm hoping a clean install will make a difference.

It's been years since I had to mess with this, V7 setup was solid as a rock, so learning Sage setup ins and outs all over again.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:43 AM
SageTVaholic

What tuners are you using?
Old 06-28-2017, 07:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
What tuners are you using?
Just saw this, I've been playing with Sage/SD off and on since my last post and still not there. Also been investigating Next PVR with an HD Homerun. Still haven't given up on Sage.

To answer your question, it's a Hauppauge HVR-2250.

I did a clean install and ran the channel scan. Again, no data for many many stations.

I believe part of the problem is what's enabled vs disabled. Here's an example:

AMC - I have three AMC channels, all of which I can tune into:

AMCP Logical ch 78, Physical 70, ID 31556
AMCH_HC Logical Ch 78-1, Physical 37-78-1, ID 199
AMC_CLK Logical Ch 78-2, Physical 55-78-2, ID 266

When I lookup AMC on Zap2It's listing for my provider the ID is given as 31556.

After scanning for channels the one with ID 31556 is disabled but the other two are enabled. Neither of those have data. As soon as I enabled ID 31556 it shows data, the others still no data.

The same thing happened with the Hallmark channels, 3 channels, all tuneable, the one with the ID that matches Zap2It was disabled, the one without the -x in the Ch number, received data as soon as enabled.

I don't understand the differences between, for instance, logical channel 30 vs 30-1 vs 30-2. And just to make it more confusing, some of the -x channels have ID's that match Zap2it.

In any event, I'm now going through the channel setup comparing the Zap2It ID to the Sage ID and enabling those channels. Then I'll see where I end up. When I tried this before I found mislabled channels, said it was one thing but when tuned was a completely different channel. After I do the ID chec I'll start looking for those.

"Using the import/export channel lineup plugin made the whole process fairly painless."

Yeah, didn't know about that until I was way deep in the process. I'm afraid to try starting the old V7 now for fear it'll muck things up even further.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:17 AM
Sage Icon

Usually plain numbers meant analog channels and -x ones meant digital.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

I started to do the compare of SD to Zap2it as well as my providers lineup but I've given up for now, it's just too screwed up. I just sent this to Schedules Direct through their "Report a Lineup Problem" Page:

"Many many many channels are incorrect. The guide is basically useless.

Examples:

SD says 32 is TBSP, tunes to KSTW channel 11

SD says 35 is ESPN, tunes to radio station, KJR (95.7 FM?)

SD says 21-2 is ESPN_HC, tunes to WADOT traffic cam

SD says 12-3 is Trav_HC, tunes to PCTV

SD says 8 is KWPX, is radio station 96.1 KXXO

I started to try to remap but there are too many and it is too confusing, 84 (+/-) of 100 channels say "No data" and I suspect even some of the ones that have data are wrong.
"

We'll see what they have to say.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:02 AM
Sage Icon

When broadcast TV transitioned from analog to digital, they introduced the concept of sub-channels. Most tv stations split their channel into 3 sub-channels (1 high-bandwidth channel for their main HD broadcast, and 2 low-bandwidth channels for alternate SD broadcasts).

This was primarily for OTA broadcast TV. I have never heard of cable TV using hyphenated channel numbers, since I don't think most cable boxes with front panel displays can display a hyphenated number and many remotes don't have a hyphen button. They usually re-map them all to normal numbers (so 7-2 might come through as 342 on your cable box). Maybe satellite is different?

Are you using cable or satellite? Are you sure you selected the correct provider when you configured your EPG lineup?
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 06-29-2017, 10:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Are you using cable or satellite? Are you sure you selected the correct provider when you configured your EPG lineup?
I'm sure I selected the correct one. It's a local cable provider owned by the city. Their channel guide just uses whole numbers also, nothing hyphenated.