SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

new install on Linux Mint 18.1

I have decided to take the plunge & switch over from win 10 64 bit to Linux Mint 18.1 as a Virtualbox with LMDE as the host. I prefer LMDE but for ease of kernel issues etc will go with Linux Mint ubuntu variation for this.

Linux Mint 18.1 is based on Ubuntu 16.04 and linux kernel 4.4.0-53 I will upgrade the kernel to 4.9 so that I can try the Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD card.

Will the other posts about installing sagetv on ubuntu 16.04 be similiar enough for my situation? The sage tv setup won't be on a dedicated server but sharing many roles hence my choice to isolate setup to its own virtualbox. Hoping this will solve some other issues re java heap etc. I have never used the linux version before. Will I be missing out on any features or functionality from windows? I have a win 10 client also in this setup.

Asus PX58D Premium MOBO
Intel i7 920 2.67 GHZ
24 gb ram
Nvidia Geforce GTS 250
Hauppauge WinTV -HVR -2250
Hauppauge WinTV -HVR -2255 x 2

Last edited by Galaxysurfer; 06-07-2017 at 03:27 PM. Reason: adding hardware config
Old 06-08-2017, 09:23 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't think you will be missing out and you will be gaining by the fact that you can use more than 1GB as a Java heap size. The only thing that can be problematic is channel changing for external boxes, especially if you want to use a USB-UIRT to control multiple zones. But it doesn't seem like that is applicable in your instance

(This may be dangerous as I know discussing Linux distros is like talking about religion)
Are you setting up a separate VM of Mint just for SageTV? If so then why use Mint rather than Ubuntu? It sure seems like Ubuntu would be the second most used Linux OS (after unRAID). I know that Mint and Ubuntu are built on the same core, and I kind of like Mint myself, but why bother introducing another variable into the mix?
Old 06-08-2017, 11:23 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxysurfer View Post
I have never used the linux version before. Will I be missing out on any features or functionality from windows? I have a win 10 client also in this setup.

Asus PX58D Premium MOBO
Intel i7 920 2.67 GHZ
24 gb ram
Nvidia Geforce GTS 250
Hauppauge WinTV -HVR -2250
Hauppauge WinTV -HVR -2255 x 2
Right now I think the Linux and Windows versions of Sage are about equal - their are pros and cons to each, so depending on your use case it may not be clear cut as to which is best.

If you use primarily network-attached capture devices (like HDHomerun) and like to use a headless server (use extenders or similar to control Sage and playback content), Linux or UnRAID are probably great solutions. But at least for me, Windows is still the best choice.

Linux advantages:
True 64-bit platform - runs on 64-bit Java, so it can take advantage of more memory in modern PCs (Windows version still uses 32-bit Java only). This is particularly important if you want to connect many extenders or mini-clients.

Most current Sage developers are using the Linux version and are more comfortable writing code for Linux than Windows. This means support may be better / faster for Linux

Linux tends to be a more stable OS than Windows and gives you more control (Windows often forces updates and may reboot your PC without asking).

I think there are 64-bit Firewire drivers for Linux (Need to use 32-bit version of Windows to support Firewire on Windows, due to driver limitations).

Windows advantages:
Unless you're a computer "geek", Windows is probably more familiar / easier to use than Linux - could be a learning curve for Linux.

Windows version has a full client as part of the server and can also run a full client on a separate PC with Windows (the Linux version is meant to be run headless only, there is no client for Linux - need to use Placeshifter or an extender to get a GUI interface or playback recordings with Linux).

Has better support for many capture devices. Some of the internal PCI / PCIe cards don't have drivers for Linux or require very specific distributions of Linux to make them work. If you are using the Linux version of Sage in a VM or Docker container, they may not be able to access PCI/PCIe cards or USB-attached devices (have to play tricks with "passing-through" the card, or slot, or USB controller, may not work perfectly with all hardware). So, if moving from a working Sage on Windows installation, to Linux, need to investigate to make sure your hardware will be compatible.

Has better support for USBUIRT (doesn't look like multi-zone control is supported under Linux yet).
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 06-08-2017, 02:12 PM
SageTVaholic

@tiki - Excellent post.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Wink

I dont completely trust ubuntu so I have gone with mint variation of ubuntu code. It draws on same repository but the desktop has mint's spin. I have found that mint works out of the box right from install whereas ubuntu have had to troubleshoot & tweak. I would use debian version rather than ubuntu if I had a choice, but LMDE version doesnt use new enough kernel so needed hauppauge drivers are in place. I personally feel Ubuntu is like the Microsoft of the linux world. having said that if needed will run with win 10 pro setup again but virtualized so isolated from other computing activity. I like the improvements of linux with java heap. I'm just not familiar with differences in user interface, having only used the win version previously. So here I go into the tech woods, exploring as i go.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

ok so how would i get a gui for my linux server setup? or run config from win 10 client?

Does anything change when communicating between linuxserver /win 10 client vs win 10 server to win 10 client (if that is even possible) ?
Would I need to setup a linux placeshifter/extender to talk to the linux server meaning can i mix & match os or do all parts need to be running on same os?

only using the Huappauge pci cards with OTA recording

Last edited by Galaxysurfer; 06-09-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Placeshifter would be the main way to get a GUI or you could use the client.

You can mix and match OSes however the way that it is usually done is that the server is Linux and the clients are Windows or mini-clients such as Extenders or Android boxes. I am not sure if there even is a Linux GUI.

To get back to the OS discussion - the current trend is folks using unRAID Linux as the OS for their SageTV server, but you seem to want the server to run in a VM. Turning things around you could run unRAID as your host OS and then run Mint or whatever you want as a VM under unRAID - however you wouldn't need that for Sage as all you need is Sage running in a Docker container under unRAID. I am currently running an Ubuntu VM on my unRAID server and I have also dabbled trying to get WHS 2011 to run in a VM to backup the Win PCs on my LAN.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanx for that reply. I wasn't sure how cross os would work in these setups. I will play around with them. I am doing a VM because my sagetv setup isnt a dedicated use of hardware. I am using same hardware for multiple functions & want to maximise security & limit data mining from os.