SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Linux install and a few questions

Well I installed Ubuntu 14 (64bit) on a Core two Duo E8400. That installed fine I then installed the Sage Server, I went into the sagevcore file and set the Javaheap to 2048 and restarted Sage. Everything worked okay so far. I installed the sagetv-client_9.0.3_amd64.deb video plays great but no audio. I can't find where to set or change the audio settings in the mini client. The mini client will connect to the windows version 7 and the Linux 64 bit version 9 and the audio does not work in ether. Audio does work I tested it on some you tube videos. I just need pointed to where to look. Also I found and old thread about this but there was no post if they got it to work. I'm trying to map my sage window recording directory to an import directory in the Linux version 9 of sage. I installed samba and joined the workgroup. I can see the share in linux but in sage they say invalid directory when I try to setup the import any suggestions.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:30 AM
Sage Expert

I used symlinks on my Win7 client to match paths with the server. You can run cmd as administrator and do something like:

mkdir -p /var/media
cd /var/media
mklink /d \var\media\videos \\banshee\videos
mklink /d \var\media\tv \\banshee\tv
mklink /d \var\media\music \\banshee\music
mklink /d \var\media\fanart \\banshee\fanart
mklink /d \var\media\photos \\banshee\photos

C:\var\media>dir
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 2202-D0C5

Directory of C:\var\media

11/06/2015 10:12 AM <DIR> .
11/06/2015 10:12 AM <DIR> ..
11/06/2015 10:10 AM <SYMLINKD> fanart [\\banshee\fanart]
11/06/2015 10:09 AM <SYMLINKD> Music [\\banshee\Music]
11/06/2015 10:08 AM <SYMLINKD> Photos [\\banshee\Photos]
11/06/2015 10:08 AM <SYMLINKD> tv [\\banshee\tv]
11/06/2015 10:12 AM <SYMLINKD> Videos [\\banshee\Videos]
0 File(s) 0 bytes
7 Dir(s) 70,804,848,640 bytes free
Old 11-12-2015, 08:40 AM
Sage Expert

Sorry. I misread your post. It sounds like you are trying to SMB mount the windows share. Do you see the windows share if you do 'df -h'? Can you see the files if you 'cd' to the mount point and do 'ls'? Does the user that you are running sagetv as have permission to read the files?
Old 11-12-2015, 11:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

It works fine if I do it in the Ubuntu file explorer. I see the share browse them and even play the files. If I try to setup import directories in Sage using the mini client I get something like tmp/server_name/sage_recordings. So I'm pretty sure its a sage issue. Also do you have to use the mini client / placeshifter in Linux or can you run it like the windows version as a client.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechling-burgh View Post
It works fine if I do it in the Ubuntu file explorer. I see the share browse them and even play the files. If I try to setup import directories in Sage using the mini client I get something like tmp/server_name/sage_recordings. So I'm pretty sure its a sage issue. Also do you have to use the mini client / placeshifter in Linux or can you run it like the windows version as a client.
Have you actually smb mounted the filesytems in Linux? To be honest, even though I run linux, I never use smb, so not sure if sagetv has native support for this, or if you need to smbmount the shares in the Linux OS first, in order to access them.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechling-burgh View Post
Well I installed Ubuntu 14 (64bit) on a Core two Duo E8400. That installed fine I then installed the Sage Server, I went into the sagevcore file and set the Javaheap to 2048 and restarted Sage. Everything worked okay so far. I installed the sagetv-client_9.0.3_amd64.deb video plays great but no audio. I can't find where to set or change the audio settings in the mini client. The mini client will connect to the windows version 7 and the Linux 64 bit version 9 and the audio does not work in ether. Audio does work I tested it on some you tube videos. I just need pointed to where to look. Also I found and old thread about this but there was no post if they got it to work. I'm trying to map my sage window recording directory to an import directory in the Linux version 9 of sage. I installed samba and joined the workgroup. I can see the share in linux but in sage they say invalid directory when I try to setup the import any suggestions.
Audio on linux won't be configured in the MiniCient, but rather, it is likely a side effect of missing linux audio libraries... I think that mplayer uses alsa, but maybe alsa is not setup on your system?

See if anything here helps...
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...otingProcedure
Old 11-12-2015, 01:22 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Have you actually smb mounted the filesytems in Linux? To be honest, even though I run linux, I never use smb, so not sure if sagetv has native support for this, or if you need to smbmount the shares in the Linux OS first, in order to access them.
I never considered the possibility of native SMB support in SageTV. I just assumed that you would have to mount the share. That's why I wanted to know if it shows up when you run 'df -h' or 'mount'.

I don't use the GUI in Ubuntu. So I don't know if it automatically SMB mounts a share when you browse with it or not.

Here is a guide for mounting cifs shares on Ubuntu:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently
Old 11-12-2015, 01:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turak View Post
I never considered the possibility of native SMB support in SageTV. I just assumed that you would have to mount the share. That's why I wanted to know if it shows up when you run 'df -h' or 'mount'.

I don't use the GUI in Ubuntu. So I don't know if it automatically SMB mounts a share when you browse with it or not.

Here is a guide for mounting cifs shares on Ubuntu:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently
In the Ubuntu UI when you browse windows shares it doesn not "mount" them in a system area, and they are only browseable by your user, so this is very different than actually using smbmount and mounting them using root either via commandline or fstab.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:04 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
In the Ubuntu UI when you browse windows shares it doesn not "mount" them in a system area, and they are only browseable by your user, so this is very different than actually using smbmount and mounting them using root either via commandline or fstab.
That's probably the issue then. I would think that you would actually need to mount the share before SageTV could access it. Use the guide that I linked to mount the share locally. It's the linux version of mapping a network drive.

Explorer.exe in windows automatically connects to windows shares when you try to access them. Bourne Shell (or Bourne Again SHell) in linux does not. Unless you configure automount.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks guys I will give it a try tonight if I can find time.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:18 AM
Sage User

Ubuntu and sage client not working

I have installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on a ztoac mini PC celeron 4gig/64gigSSD/AC-WIFI, then I followed the linux sage walkthrough, and installed java, and the pre-requisits for sage. I did not install the server, just the client. The client finds my windows based server and lists it. When I click on the server and hit connect, all I get is a garbled screen. The little bit I can make out seems to be asking for a username and password. Do I need to install the linux server for some core function to be working? or can the client run without the server installed? Just trying to figure out what I am missing.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman666 View Post
I have installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on a ztoac mini PC celeron 4gig/64gigSSD/AC-WIFI, then I followed the linux sage walkthrough, and installed java, and the pre-requisits for sage. I did not install the server, just the client. The client finds my windows based server and lists it. When I click on the server and hit connect, all I get is a garbled screen. The little bit I can make out seems to be asking for a username and password. Do I need to install the linux server for some core function to be working? or can the client run without the server installed? Just trying to figure out what I am missing.
You don't need to install the server for the client to work. It's probably having an issue with the 3D rendering...try going into the settings for the Placeshifter and turning off 3D rendering...although then you'll likely have problems with not seeing video. You may also want to update your video card drivers on Linux (if that's possible). Most people don't use a desktop Linux client for playback though...it's not the most reliable kind of setup due to these issues.

And if you're seeing the login screen, it's because you're not on the same subnet as the server.