SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-18-2004, 07:34 AM
Sage Icon

How to access Networked Drive

Hey, I was wondering how to get sage to recognize networked drives. I have a network set up in my home and would like to access some files on my other computers. Normally, when I want to access them I have to go to My network places, then select the computer I want and then I can search through its contents. But in sage-when I browse for a new folder I can't seem to find the 'my network places'. I even tried to create a shortcut of the computers in my network places and put it in my C folder thinking it would recognize it--but I still can't find them. Thanks. Do I maybe have to mount them in an NTFS drive?
JUC
Old 07-18-2004, 09:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Re: How to access Networked Drive

Quote:
Originally posted by JUC
Hey, I was wondering how to get sage to recognize networked drives. I have a network set up in my home and would like to access some files on my other computers. Normally, when I want to access them I have to go to My network places, then select the computer I want and then I can search through its contents. But in sage-when I browse for a new folder I can't seem to find the 'my network places'. I even tried to create a shortcut of the computers in my network places and put it in my C folder thinking it would recognize it--but I still can't find them. Thanks. Do I maybe have to mount them in an NTFS drive?
JUC
I personally mount them to drives. I have a total of 500gb via Network drives currently, and plan to upgrade soon to 1tb.

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 07-18-2004, 10:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Sage cannot browse the network neighbourhood like explorer can

Either mount the network drive and give it a drive letter, or Alternatively, enter the shared folder name using the specify new folder option and then use the network path to the folder:

\\machinename\sharename
or
\\machinename\sharename\folder\subfolder
etc

(using network paths has the advantage that the disk server does not have to be available when the sage sever boots up and attempts to remount the network disk)
Old 07-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Sage User

One way: Exit SageTV full screen mode so you can see your desktop. Open windows explorer, my network places, and your networked drive. Look at the path in the explorer address bar, it should say \\computername\shareddirectoryname. Move the explorer window so you can see this path when you go into sageTV. In SageTV, go into setup, detailed setup, and get to the point where you are to add a directory, choose enter directory path and type in what you see at the top of the explorer window \\computername\shareddirectoryname.

Be sure that you have write access to the path. You can just try to create a new folder from windows explorer to verify this. Have fun!

--tim

Last edited by tlimon; 07-20-2004 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks, got it working.
JUC
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 07-21-2004, 11:31 PM
Sage User

In my comnputer click tools and map a network drive, i have my media files on another computer, but on my HTPC its simply drive z:
Old 07-22-2004, 03:04 AM
SageTVaholic

The disadvantage of a mapped network drive is that the drive server has to be available when the Sage machine boots, otherwise the boot will hang, and the drive will not be mapped...

The disadvantage of UNC paths is that if the drive server is not available when you attempt to open a file on that path, then the SAGE UI will hang for a few seconds while it attempts to contact the server.

Myself, I prefer that in case of an unattended reboot, Sage gets up and running with no intervention, so I use UNC paths...