SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Run Sagetv Client on unRaid server box?

I currently use the SageTV Client on my Windows 7 SageTV server. It is hooked up to my basement TV. I am thinking about switching to unRAID and docker, but if I do that will I be able to run a SageTV client to that TV on that box without using a VM of some sort? Thanks.

Last edited by willieb; 03-05-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:10 AM
SageTVaholic

There is no TRUE SageTV client that runs on Linux (what unRAID is based on). At least not yet but I thought I read talk about it for the future. Only thing for linux currently is placeshifter. Default mode for unRAID is character based display unless you switch to GUI mode. I do not know if linux placeshifter would run in unRAID GUI mode. If placeshifter is good enough for you then you could give it a try in unRAID GUI mode.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Excellent. Thanks for the answer. Been running SageTV only on Windows for 7-8 years and had no need to look into Linux. Seems like my options are a Windows VM (which I might do anyway for other reasons) or hooking up an extender (I have an extra HD200). Either seems pretty easy. Thanks again.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Can't you just run client as a command line option from SageTV server - I know that you can with the Windows version.

But running client doesn't really make sense on unRAID since it is meant to be pretty much headless system.

But you could buy a MiBox for $69 and hook that up to your TV.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah -- I have an HD200 that will work better than the Mibox, so I will try that. I made a TON of progress on unRAID today but have a couple questions. I will post one in a new thread.

Last edited by willieb; 03-06-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:23 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Can't you just run client as a command line option from SageTV server - I know that you can with the Windows version.

But running client doesn't really make sense on unRAID since it is meant to be pretty much headless system.

But you could buy a MiBox for $69 and hook that up to your TV.
No you can't. The Linux build of the server does not include the Client part, and there is no stand-alone full Client for Linux. Must use either Placeshifter for Linux, full Client for Windows, mini-client for Android, or an extender (which is really a type of mini-client).
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 03-06-2017, 07:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Does PS for Linux suffer from the same issues as PS for Windows - like struggling with 1080i files?
Old 03-06-2017, 08:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Your best option, if you want to run a client from an unraid server, is to install windows in a VM on the server, and passthrough a video card to the VM. You'd also need to pass through a USB-UIRT or other IR receiver to be able to control the client (which I'm assuming you already have on your existing setup). You could actually install multiple video cards and run multiple VMs in this way if you so choose.

Though these days, I'd just tell you to go to walmart, and buy a Mi Box, and use it as your client, and leave the server headless.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-06-2017, 08:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post

Though these days, I'd just tell you to go to walmart, and buy a Mi Box, and use it as your client, and leave the server headless.
Thanks. I arrived at the same conclusion. I am going to use an HD200 that I had taken out of service for now.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:04 AM
SageTVaholic

I am a long time user of HD200s and I just bought a MiBox. I haven't used the Mi Box a ton but my initial impression is that the HD200 is still probably a better bet when it comes to SageTV extender capabilities as the playback seems smoother, particularly when it comes to MPEG-2 playback. When it comes to the UI the Mi Box remote suffers from a lack of buttons but you may be able to overcome this with something like a Harmony Remote. But the Mi Box has the advantage of being very good at playing back Netflix, and a whole host of other similar services and is more future proof as it is current hardware as opposed to being almost a decade old.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Sage User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
No you can't. The Linux build of the server does not include the Client part, and there is no stand-alone full Client for Linux. Must use either Placeshifter for Linux, full Client for Windows, mini-client for Android, or an extender (which is really a type of mini-client).
I currently have a SageTV v7 client connected to a SageTV v7 server, both on Windows.

So, should my SageTV v7 client be able to also connect to a new SageTV v9 server running on Unraid docker ?
Old 03-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by makutaku View Post
I currently have a SageTV v7 client connected to a SageTV v7 server, both on Windows.

So, should my SageTV v7 client be able to also connect to a new SageTV v9 server running on Unraid docker ?
No. The client can be on Windows...but if the server is v9, the client will need to be v9 too.
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 03-10-2017, 09:02 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfi33 View Post
No. The client can be on Windows...but if the server is v9, the client will need to be v9 too.
Assuming the server API in v9 is backward compatible, why don't we either drop the check (if it's done on the server), or "lie" to the client until an open source version of the client is available ?
Old 03-10-2017, 09:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Assuming the server API in v9 is backward compatible, why don't we either drop the check (if it's done on the server), or "lie" to the client until an open source version of the client is available ?
A client is available. See link in my signature and there are 3 files...Server, Client and Placeshifter

k
Old 03-11-2017, 07:35 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
It's not just a bogus check - the versions really do have to match or things won't work. But, Windows Client has been available as long as the Windows Server - they've been releasing both installers at the same time.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 03-11-2017, 07:26 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
A client is available. See link in my signature and there are 3 files...Server, Client and Placeshifter

k
That's really nice to know. I've been using a SageTV client for at least 8 years. I was afraid I would have no option but have to use Placeshifter to connect to v9. Although I don't know what the impact would be if I had to change, I am glad to learn I don't have to!