SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v9 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v9 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 9 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 9 and newer.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
OK, now that I'm awake.....
Step one: finished
Step two: where does channelw.exe show up in regedit? It doesn't show up anywhere in mine.
Step three: where does the new .ir file get added, SageTV Common dir?
Step four: change the device_name? That's in Sage Proerties/appropriate encoder line?
Step 2: Did you install the exemultituner.reg file to add the registry key? You should see this key if you did:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\EXEMultiTunerPlugin]
"command"="C:\\Firewire\\4digit.cmd %DEVICE% %CHANNEL%"

Step 3: For EXEMultiTunerPlugin, the .ir file goes into Common\RemoteCodes\EXEMultiTunerPlugin folder.

Step 4: Yes that's in Sage Properties file.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
Step 2: Did you install the exemultituner.reg file to add the registry key? You should see this key if you did:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\EXEMultiTunerPlugin]
"command"="C:\\Firewire\\4digit.cmd %DEVICE% %CHANNEL%"

Step 3: For EXEMultiTunerPlugin, the .ir file goes into Common\RemoteCodes\EXEMultiTunerPlugin folder.

Step 4: Yes that's in Sage Properties file.
I thought I installed it, but the key wasn’t there, just EXEMultiTunerPlugin folder only.

OH, what's the content of your IR file? Is it empty, or does it include instructions. Somewhere, I think I need an -f to be inserted, as that's the only way I can trigger a channel change using channel.exe
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 11-21-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:37 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I thought I installed it, but the key wasn’t there, just EXEMultiTunerPlugin folder only.

OH, what's the content of your IR file? Is it empty, or does it include instructions. Somewhere, I think I need an -f to be inserted, as that's the only way I can trigger a channel change using channel.exe
The directions Wayner posted above (https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=53) describe what the .ir file should be.

If your tuner needs a '-f', put it in the registry string you told SageTV to run. It just issues that registry string as a command line call with the device and channel variables substituted for the real things.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
The directions Wayner posted above (https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=53) describe what the .ir file should be.

If your tuner needs a '-f', put it in the registry string you told SageTV to run. It just issues that registry string as a command line call with the device and channel variables substituted for the real things.
but it didn't describe what's INSIDE the ir file, did it? there's a string of characters in some of my ir files, but in some there is absolutely zero characters.
I guess if someone could post the character string from a working, cable, set top box ir that would be excellent
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-22-2019, 01:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
but it didn't describe what's INSIDE the ir file, did it? there's a string of characters in some of my ir files, but in some there is absolutely zero characters.
I guess if someone could post the character string from a working, cable, set top box ir that would be excellent
It said to copy an existing tunerstub one and edit the device name inside to match the file name which matches the device id. Only the first line is needed and really only that name inside matters as to the value.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It said to copy an existing tunerstub one and edit the device name inside to match the file name which matches the device id. Only the first line is needed and really only that name inside matters as to the value.
ok, thanks. I’ll try that. God knows I’ve tried everything else....lol
timmoooore’s
To get the box the change channels, I have to open Timmoore’s cod line, type “channel -f -an 2 channel#”
why ‘an’ I’m not sure.
That being the case, all of that would need to go into the regedit file, yes? So the channelw.exe location goes first, followed by the -f -an part, then the panel number, or device ID goes between %%, then %channel%.
Sound right?

Last edited by tvmaster2; 11-22-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:12 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
ok, thanks. I’ll try that. God knows I’ve tried everything else....lol
timmoooore’s
To get the box the change channels, I have to open Timmoore’s cod line, type “channel -f -an 2 channel#”
why ‘an’ I’m not sure.
That being the case, all of that would need to go into the regedit file, yes? So the channelw.exe location goes first, followed by the -f -an part, then the panel number, or device ID goes between %%, then %channel%.
Sound right?
Looking at the archived web page, I'm not sure that '-an' part is correct.

Code:
D:\fire>channel /?
channel: Change channel via firewire, timmmoore Copyright 2005
Firewire STB channel changer V1.0.9, by timmmoore

channel -v -tN -aM -d -n Device Channel

-v: verbose
-aN: alternate commands, N = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4
     0: send channel as a single command (doesn't work while streaming)
     1: send channel as a 3 press key commands
     2: send channel as a 3 press/release key commands (default)
     3: send channel as a 3 release key commands
     4: send channel as a single command (works with SA3250, SA8X00)
-tN: timeout in milliseconds between digits for -a1, 2, 3 (default: 50)
-f: force commands to be sent on non-supported devices
-d: decimal, send channel as a decimal single key
-n: device number is firewire unique name
-aN is supposed to be -a0 or -a1, etc, so I would expect it to be something like:

Code:
channel -f -a2 2 channel
Where the second '2' is the Firewire device number.

Since '-a2' is the default, you can omit it, unless you need to use one of the other 'alternative command' values - which depends on your STB.

I'm guessing that the channel command is simply ignoring the '-an' in your example since 'n' is not 0-4.

--John
Old 11-22-2019, 03:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwegas View Post
Looking at the archived web page, I'm not sure that '-an' part is correct.

Code:
D:\fire>channel /?
channel: Change channel via firewire, timmmoore Copyright 2005
Firewire STB channel changer V1.0.9, by timmmoore

channel -v -tN -aM -d -n Device Channel

-v: verbose
-aN: alternate commands, N = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4
     0: send channel as a single command (doesn't work while streaming)
     1: send channel as a 3 press key commands
     2: send channel as a 3 press/release key commands (default)
     3: send channel as a 3 release key commands
     4: send channel as a single command (works with SA3250, SA8X00)
-tN: timeout in milliseconds between digits for -a1, 2, 3 (default: 50)
-f: force commands to be sent on non-supported devices
-d: decimal, send channel as a decimal single key
-n: device number is firewire unique name
-aN is supposed to be -a0 or -a1, etc, so I would expect it to be something like:

Code:
channel -f -a2 2 channel
Where the second '2' is the Firewire device number.

Since '-a2' is the default, you can omit it, unless you need to use one of the other 'alternative command' values - which depends on your STB.

I'm guessing that the channel command is simply ignoring the '-an' in your example since 'n' is not 0-4.

--John
Sorry, typing error - yes, it is '-f -a6 2 channel #' For that matter, the ONLY # which works after -a is 6. Tried 1 through 5 with no results.

Last edited by tvmaster2; 11-22-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:28 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Sorry, typing error - yes, it is -f -a6 2 channel number
Ah, ok, just checking!

Based on the earlier parts of the thread, I'm guessing your registry entry (the part after the path) should literally be:

Code:
channelw.exe -f -a6 %DEVICE% %CHANNEL%
The ExeMultiTunerPlugin will replace the '%DEVICE%' value with the device ID from the mmc/encoders/XXXXX/X/X/device_name line in Sage.properties and '%CHANNEL%' with the channel to be tuned when it is called.

--John
Old 11-22-2019, 05:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwegas View Post
Ah, ok, just checking!

Based on the earlier parts of the thread, I'm guessing your registry entry (the part after the path) should literally be:

Code:
channelw.exe -f -a6 %DEVICE% %CHANNEL%
The ExeMultiTunerPlugin will replace the '%DEVICE%' value with the device ID from the mmc/encoders/XXXXX/X/X/device_name line in Sage.properties and '%CHANNEL%' with the channel to be tuned when it is called.

--John
ok, the %DEVICE% value isn't changing, so I assume there's a communication hangup or driver issue with Windows then. There wasn’t a 1394 driver for the Scientific-Atlanta (Cisco) 4742HD, so I used the latest, but, there are duplicate, unknown entries which I fear are messing things up somehow. And it doesn’t matter whether I used Texas Instruments or Legacy, same results
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 057A8B93-C4BE-4AF9-9044-E2A398C4878C.jpeg (302.3 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by tvmaster2; 11-22-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:04 PM
Sage Icon

Not sure what you mean by %DEVICE% isn’t changing. That’s a placeholder where SageTV substitutes in the real device name. I thought you said channel changing was working from the command line? If so, you just need SageTV to call that command line. It does that by mapping the .ir file device to a tuner and then calling the command you put in the registry.

If the command line call works, your drivers are fine and you just need to configure the .ir and registry. The %DEVICE% parameter is never seen by the Windows driver.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by %DEVICE% isn’t changing. That’s a placeholder where SageTV substitutes in the real device name. I thought you said channel changing was working from the command line? If so, you just need SageTV to call that command line. It does that by mapping the .ir file device to a tuner and then calling the command you put in the registry.

If the command line call works, your drivers are fine and you just need to configure the .ir and registry. The %DEVICE% parameter is never seen by the Windows driver.
ok, then I must have the registry entry in the wrong place, or the .ir isn’t doing its job. Right now the registry entry is in Frey Technologies, which could be the problem, as my Sagetv installation is in a dir called ‘SageTV’. The reg entry gets installed by a script written by someone else’s install - so is it being injected to the wrong registry locale?
Old 11-23-2019, 02:31 PM
SageTVaholic

If you just upgraded to 64 bit Sage, then the registry entries are in a different place. Search registry for Frey Technologies
Old 11-23-2019, 03:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
If you just upgraded to 64 bit Sage, then the registry entries are in a different place. Search registry for Frey Technologies
Hi. Nope, didn’t upgrade or update from W7 32 bit, besides Windows updates, which somehow trashed my 1394 channel change, now I can’t get it working again. I’m obviously entering the wrong info in the wrong place, but haven’t figured out where yet. The command line is indeed in the Frey reg folder, but my install is in Sagetv folder. Is that the disconnect?

Last edited by tvmaster2; 11-23-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:49 PM
SageTVaholic

The actual command syntax will probably look different than mine, but otherwise similar I suppose. See image.

I had to manually add the "command" STRING value.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exemulti2.jpg (80.9 KB, 235 views)
Old 11-23-2019, 04:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The actual command syntax will probably look different than mine, but otherwise similar I suppose. See image.

I had to manually add the "command" STRING value.
and what dir is your Sage install in; the common folder, remotes folder.

Last edited by tvmaster2; 11-23-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:24 PM
SageTVaholic

For a 32 bit Sage install:

The EXEMultiTunerPlugin.dll file is in here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\Common

The Remote Codes are in here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\Common\RemoteCodes
Old 11-23-2019, 06:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
For a 32 bit Sage install:

The EXEMultiTunerPlugin.dll file is in here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\Common

The Remote Codes are in here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\Common\RemoteCodes
right, that’s all good then. What about the registry: does the %DEVICE% %CHANNEL% line need to be in a folder matching the name of the c: drive install dir?
Old 11-23-2019, 07:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
right, that’s all good then. What about the registry: does the %DEVICE% %CHANNEL% line need to be in a folder matching the name of the c: drive install dir?
Not to my knowledge. I really need someone else with a similar STB to get in here and help you with the syntax of the registry entry, and the sage.properties file.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Not to my knowledge. I really need someone else with a similar STB to get in here and help you with the syntax of the registry entry, and the sage.properties file.
I was using FWChannelProxy before this and it worked just fine. Did some Windows updates and it stopped, and no matter how simple all the directions are, I can't get it working again, at least through Sage's interface. I can force a channel change via channel.exe, so I know the 1394 port on the cable box is functional. After that, it's a mystery...