SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-14-2004, 11:12 PM

"Do not use epg" setting not getting saved

Hi,

I am trying your software. It seems I choose to use epg data (when first set up, I dont remember if I did) even if I am not in the us, so i dont have epg data. The problem is that when I try to edit that setting (setup wizard) to not use epg data, for whatever the reason sageTV doesnt seem to save the setting (I enter again and its set to use epg data even if I just changed it).

I tried many things, including uninstalling the program. Does anyone know the solution to this? I really liked this program, minus this problem. Also, is there a link to wathc live tv w/o epg data? that would solve my problem too (but I guess the reason I dont see a live tv button is that the program thinks I hava data available)

thanks
Old 07-14-2004, 11:45 PM
SageTVaholic

I think you would need to setup XMLTV to not use the guide data EPG
but if you uninstall SageTV then delete the frey technologies program folder
it should not have this issue when you reinstall

but I would read to how to use XMLTV
in the Sage Service forum
Old 07-15-2004, 09:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have had this problem.
You will always end up with what looks like a blank epg.
Turn off extra channels, and that way you end up with only one line of blank data.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:15 PM

kny3twalker, edgley,

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure I'm following you:

I have xmltv installed on this machine (because I was using gotTV in myhtpc) but its been months since I used it, and I just installed sagetv yesterday. I also uninstalled, deleted and installed again but I always have the same problem....

edgley,

Thats exactly what happens, a blank epg. Now that its blank its logical since I dont have data, but I want a way to just go to live tv, bypassing any epg, is that posible? right now you have the option of seeing the epg and thats all, if there is a "live tv" button I didnt see it...
By "turn off" extra channels you mean in channel configuration? I am using all of the channels, so I dont see "extra channels", guess I'm missing something obvious, but I dont know what...

thanks
Old 07-15-2004, 06:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

I watch live tv by going :

Live TV Guide
Click on the empty epg data bar
watch now

I dont think that you can bypass this selection process.

How many blank epg bars are displayed? By turning off channels you can reduce it to only one.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:49 PM
SageTVaholic

why bother will paying 80 dollars for sage if you are not going to use XMLTV guide data or EPG guide data

you can just use sagerecorder or even winTV 2000

do either of you have an external box connected if so you also need an IR blaster to control the external box

if using the internal tuner limiting Sage to one channel will not help

you need to use XMLTV guide data when outside of the US or Canada

Sage is setup to record programming for you and not just timeshift liveTV
so if you are going to use anextrenal tuner you need to use an IR blaster to control the external tuner(cable box)

it just seems like a waste to just use Sage with bad guide data and only be able to timeshift
but to each his own

sage is extremely limited without these two things
Old 07-16-2004, 04:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have xmltv setup, and am just about to place my order for the blaster

not long now!!

Ordered! Now to wait

Last edited by edgley; 07-16-2004 at 04:22 AM.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:51 AM

Well, the reason is that a friend of mine made a program that I can use to make my own epg so, since I dont have a real epg, I make a small one with only the programs I watch often (since its time consuming I cant make it with all the programs as I would like).

So an option to just see live tv (w/o any epg) would be ideal for me at most times, but sometimes I would like to see my limited epg to record one or two programs a day...

edgley:
if I delete channels using your method, then I can watch only one channel? or after doing that I can go channel up/down and see them all? BTW does anyone know the keyboard shortcuts for channel up/down?

Thanks
Old 07-16-2004, 10:55 AM

Also, can that "no data epg" be used to record shows? for example I would like to use it to schedule a recording for 8pm of channel X, I dont mind not having real data (since I know the channel and time the show is on air). would this work? does anyone use it like this?

I want to try sage recorder as well, but the scheduler there is not very easy to use with a remote, or impossible I would say...
Old 07-16-2004, 12:34 PM
SageTVaholic

He was doing that one channel thing cause he is connected to a cable box

I do not know why you are having so many problems but you can look at liveTV in other cheaper programs
why throw money away if you are not going to setup EPG (only in US or Canada)or XMLTV for Sage's guide data

maybe you should look into beyondTV they have a channel scanner like winTV
does and since you are not uing a cable box this would be the best option and not ever plan to set up XMLTV for your guide data