SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

New SageTV9 install on new Win10 install - problems

Hi - I created an new Win10 PC yesterday, and just installed SageTV9 on it.

I have 2 problems (so far, anyways):
  1. I use a NAS share drive for all my videos. I have configured SageTV to use that drive for the media import directory. While I can see the videos that are in the root of that NAS share drive, I can't see any sub-folders on that directory in SageTV. I didn't have this problem with SageTV9 on my Win7 PC.
  2. I can't get Live TV to play back in the PC GUI. I have seen that installing LAV Filters onto the PC can fix this, but I am very reluctant to use a sledge-hammer approach to the the new PC's multimedia infrastructure to fix this one issue. I used a similar "install a huge sound package" approach on my old PC, and my PC's audio never worked 100% properly after that point (coincidentally, this is one of the reasons I am going for a new Win10 installation from scratch). Is there a single filter (is it MPEG-2?) that I can install to get Live TV playing in the SageTV GUI?

SageTV: v9.x (on Win7x64)
CPU: Core i7-3770 @ 3.40+ GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600
GPU: nVidia GTX-770
RCVR: HD-Homerun
STB: STX-HD100, HD-300
Old 01-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Sage

If you install SageTV7 first, then install SageTV 9 on top of that you will end up with an MPEG-2 decoder.

For the import thing...I'm not sure why it would do that. If you post the sagetv_0.txt log file then that may tell us more details.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Unlike Windows 7, which included a Microsoft CODEC, Windows 10 does not include anything of that sort. the end user is left to fend for themselves. Hence the need for the LAV filters (CODEC) in order to view video in SageTV.

The other thing is the open source SageTV doesn't include any CODEC/Filters either, again LAV filters. There are other CODEC/Filters you can use as well. Just don't install one of the mega-codec packs that can cause more problems then they fix.

Currently, LAV filters are quite popular, safe (just be careful where you download them from), and free. If you have an older HDPVR setup that came with Arcsoft Extreme, you can use the Arcsoft CODECs. If you like DivX and have purchased the DivX suite, you can use those.
Regardless of which CODEC you choose, you will still need to choose them in the SageTV setup so Sage will know which CODEC to use.

On the NAS, does the user that Sage is running under have proper access (security) to the NAS (I know stupid question, but it needs to be asked)? Are using UNC naming in Sage to reach the NAS? Are you using the Sage Service? If so, what account is the service using?

The only constant in the Universe is change.

Last edited by UgaData; 01-12-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:32 PM
SageTVaholic

So, aside from the permission comment made above, are you sure that you entered your NAS folder as a media import folder, and not a recordings folder? Sage will parse subfolders of import folders, but only the root of recordings folders.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the fast response, guys!

I followed Jeff's suggestion of installing SageTV v7.x first (after deleting all my SageTV directories), and then installing v9.x on top of it.

And ... That fixed both problems!

Thanks again!

AzJazz

Old 01-12-2017, 09:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Bummer - I have to take it back.

I can't see into the sub-folders anymore, so whatever worked isn't working anymore.

sagetv_0.txt log file is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_0.zip (106.4 KB, 181 views)

Old 01-12-2017, 11:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Bummer - I have to take it back.

I can't see into the sub-folders anymore, so whatever worked isn't working anymore.

sagetv_0.txt log file is attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
On the NAS, does the user that Sage is running under have proper access (security) to the NAS (I know stupid question, but it needs to be asked)? Are using UNC naming in Sage to reach the NAS? Are you using the Sage Service? If so, what account is the service using?
I can access all the NAS folders normally from the Windows desktop. SageTV is the only thing acting weird. I am using the SageTV Control App to log in with my Windows username/password (same as used on the NAS). I know that the Control App is working properly at some level, since I wouldn't be able to see anything at all on the NAS if SageTV wasn't logging on with the user/pass correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
So, aside from the permission comment made above, are you sure that you entered your NAS folder as a media import folder, and not a recordings folder? Sage will parse subfolders of import folders, but only the root of recordings folders.
Yes, I triple-checked. The only Media Import folder is the NAS shared folder.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_0.zip (106.4 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by AzJazz; 01-12-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzJazz View Post
Yes, I triple-checked. The only Media Import folder is the NAS shared folder.
I believe you DO have the folder set as a recording folder:
Code:
Thu 1/12 16:49:07.426 [LibraryImporter@168a91e] Skipping video import dir that's also a recording dir:\\WHS\Multimedia\Video
, therefore it doesn't look in subfolders.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-13-2017, 02:08 AM
Sage Icon

Your log file says it was skipping the multimedia/video directory because it is your recording directory. It's also the root of the subdirectories you have. Have you always had all of these subdirectories under the recording directory or another one? Maybe try making a multimedia/recording directory and set that to be your recording directory. Like Fuzzy said, the subdirectories of a recording directory aren't parsed.

edit: posted exactly on top of Fuzzy's second post. We are saying the same thing it seems.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Doh!

I thought I had them both the Recording Directory and Import Directory set the same for a long time now, but I checked my old Win7 configuration and saw they were different.

Thanks! I can see the folders fine now.