SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Multiple instances of the SageTV unRAID Docker?

Anyone have any tips/suggestions how to run a second instance of the SageTV Docker on unRAID? I'd like to bring up a second instance to play with the Schedules Direct EPG and other things.

Is there more to it than picking another name for the container and a new path for /opt/sagetv and /var/media?

I'm guessing I'll probably have to specify different ports to use too.
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 01-08-2017, 04:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfi33 View Post
Anyone have any tips/suggestions how to run a second instance of the SageTV Docker on unRAID? I'd like to bring up a second instance to play with the Schedules Direct EPG and other things.

Is there more to it than picking another name for the container and a new path for /opt/sagetv and /var/media?

I'm guessing I'll probably have to specify different ports to use too.
Yeah, the port mapping will be most difficult. I do think just about all the ports in sage are configurable in the sage.properties file, but there are a LOT of ports that sage uses (you may not need all of them for your particular use case).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-08-2017, 05:01 PM
SageTVaholic

I personally would spin up a Linux VM to avoid potentially breaking something with my primary SageTV instance. To me, it's worth the extra effort to not need to worry about how the ports are assigned.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 01-08-2017, 06:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
I personally would spin up a Linux VM to avoid potentially breaking something with my primary SageTV instance. To me, it's worth the extra effort to not need to worry about how the ports are assigned.
+1 to this.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yeah, I guess it might make sense to play it safe and build a whole other VM for this....but the Docker just makes it so dang easy!

I suppose I could look at setting up another unRAID box using a spare PC for this. Not sure it'd be worth the cost of another license just for this though.
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 01-09-2017, 03:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

Unraid does offer a free 30 day trial version. I also think that they will automatically extend the trial for a month or two. That should be enough time to get schedules direct set up and running.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfi33 View Post
Yeah, I guess it might make sense to play it safe and build a whole other VM for this....but the Docker just makes it so dang easy!

I suppose I could look at setting up another unRAID box using a spare PC for this. Not sure it'd be worth the cost of another license just for this though.
You could setup Docker on the Linux VM if you want then use the docker image of SageTV. Won't be as convenient as on unRAID but would work.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:00 AM
SageTVaholic

I do this myself, not on the unRAID server, but on my development workstation (I run sagetv instances in docker containers)..

The "port mapping" + using bridged networking would work, but, any connections to sagetv will appear to be coming from another network, and as such it will ask for a placeshifter login. I use this approach when I need to test the placeshifter. (Side note... but I think a good enhancment to sagetv would be to provide it with a list of "local" subnets, so that you could run it in bridged mode and still have clients connect and not be forced into placeshifter mode -- today it uses hardware detection for all this, but I think it should a combination of hardware and configuration properties)

You can run a second server on different ports, but editng the Sage.properties. What I would do in that case is shutdown your primary SageTV... setup a new instance using a different appdata directory, and start it up. After it is started, then shut it down. Open the sagetv properties and search for the port references (7818 and 31099 I think), and change them to something else. Then start the server again. I would avoid installing Jetty WebServer since that will default to 8080 and conflict with the other server (but that can be changed as well).

What I don't know, is if the Android MiniClient actually works with a SageTV server on a different port... Since I've never tested this, myself.

And Finally, if you setup a VM... and you use Docker... you can see how to run it quite easily in the sample run scripts that I provide...
https://github.com/stuckless/sagetv-...nServerTest.sh
You can ignore/delete the volume mapping line for webapp stuff (that was some other testing I was doing). And all the volume mappings are basically your local paths on the left pointing to the docker paths on the right... you only ever change the left side.

Last edited by stuckless; 01-12-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
(Side note... but I think a good enhancment to sagetv would be to provide it with a list of "local" subnets, so that you could run it in bridged mode and still have clients connect and not be forced into placeshifter mode -- today it uses hardware detection for all this, but I think it should a combination of hardware and configuration properties)
This actually should be incredibly easy to implement. Jeff just showed me a couple days ago where that code resides (here), and we could easily loop through a series of subnets pulled from a comma delimited property, in addition to the detected one, checking for matches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
What I don't know, is if the Android MiniClient actually works with a SageTV server on a different port... Since I've never tested this, myself.
It does work just fine, at least in my usage (I have my router mapping WAN:21 to the server's 31099, and pointing the miniclient to my.home.domain.name:21 connects perfectly fine). The one thing missing in these situations would be things that depend on broadcasts to function. Clients/miniclients finding servers, servers finding network encoders, etc depend on UDP broadcasts, which would not traverse to different subnets.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-14-2020, 09:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
This actually should be incredibly easy to implement. Jeff just showed me a couple days ago where that code resides (here), and we could easily loop through a series of subnets pulled from a comma delimited property, in addition to the detected one, checking for matches.
Was this ever implemented and if not could it be? I've finally moved out of the past and started using the mini client on my amazon sticks instead of my HD300 and had to move the sticks off my separated IoT network segment to get them to work. Would love to be able to have my Sage AND my network security at the same time!
Old 01-14-2020, 01:48 PM
SageTVaholic

What exactly are you trying to do?

In unRAID you can now use a br0 setting for network and give each docker it's own IP address so that should reduce, or eliminate, the need for changing ports. I usually have 3-4 SageTV servers running on my LAN on separate PCs, one on unRAID and the others on Windows, and they run without any issues, at least in terms of connecting to extenders and PlaceShifter on my LAN. Running things remotely might be a bit trickier and need more port remapping and forwarding.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm just trying to have my clients on a different (yet still local) subnet than the sage server and avoid the placeshifter login prompt, which is completely unusable on a firestick. My server is just running in bare metal windows, not docker or anything fancy. I replied to this thread because of that comment from Fuzzy that it was possible to add a property to the sage server code specifying multiple local subnets.