SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:52 AM
SageTVaholic

How to Migrate to Schedules Direct?

I'm sorry if this is already addressed, but I did some searching and couldn't find it.

I've been mostly happily running SageTV v7, waiting for something to push me to v9. The recent announcement of the discontinuation of EPG service in July is obviously going to be provide that push.

I think I'm OK with the upgrade to v9 (though, I'm a little surprise there isn't a clearer stickied post on it), but I wonder about Schedules Direct. How do I migrate my existing lineups to Schedules Direct? Do I have to remove sources and re-add them, or is there an easier way?

Part of the reason I ask is that there's a fair bit of manual work in setting up line-ups, and since it's something I don't do very often, re-adding sources can be confusing (for instance, it always seems like I have to do something different each time I add an HDHR). If I can avoid that, that would be great.

If not, does anyone know a good trick to export the channel line-ups so I don't need to manually look at each channel to see if I'm subscribed to it? Just getting a listing (preferably of each source) to save/print would be really useful.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

I did this yesterday on the latest v9 for windows. Basically, yes, you have to re-do your sources. I didn't have to actually delete the existing one, I just added a new source for each tuner and selected Schedules Direct as the EPG source. It replaced the existing turner/source when I completed.

I setup the channel lineup the first time. I then copies it over for setting up additional sources/tuners.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:00 PM
SageTVaholic

As I posted in another thread there is an Import/Export plugin written by 49studebaker. It outputs a file that looks like this:

Code:
ch:1 station:FXCHD epg:73682 logical:507 physical:507
ch:16 station:NEWSNET epg:17615 logical:188 physical:188
ch:17 station:SM160 epg:92242 logical:733 physical:733
ch:19 station:NASAHD epg:66085 logical:579 physical:579
ch:35 station:MSNBC epg:16300 logical:185 physical:185
ch:51 station:HUNANC epg:95643 logical:813 physical:813
ch:54 station:MLBHD epg:62081 logical:508 physical:508
ch:59 station:WGRZDT epg:31507 logical:2-1 physical:524
ch:62 station:SNOHD epg:62111 logical:501 physical:501
ch:63 station:SNEHD epg:62109 logical:504 physical:504
ch:72 station:TRAVCHD epg:74863 logical:537 physical:537
ch:75 station:TFCHD epg:70520 logical:588 physical:588
I wonder if we are safe to use this when moving from the old service to the new service or if the epg numbers will be different? If they are different I but somewhat could create a dictionary mapping one to the other.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

A related question would be, how does this affect, for instance, the Favorites (scheduling, especially), Upcoming Movies, Special viewings, etc.?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
A related question would be, how does this affect, for instance, the Favorites (scheduling, especially), Upcoming Movies, Special viewings, etc.?
Doesn't really affect favorites/scheduling at all. That actual data that sdepg provides is almost exactly the same as the sage epg, just usually with a few more days provided.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-09-2017, 08:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
(though, I'm a little surprise there isn't a clearer stickied post on it)
Part of the reason is not many people were that concerned with migrating from sage epg to sdepg, simply because it didn't really provide any extra functionality, and cost more than what they already had. Really, the bulk of sdepg users are either non-us/canada users who have switched from XMLTV to sdepg for better data, new sage users who are setting up from scratch, or the few devs on here who have switched over to test it, be more familiar with it, and be able to better provide support to the new users. Now that there will be many more people making this transition, a clear guide should be created. Luckily, google let Jeff keep his word about ample warning, so there shouldn't really be a rush to dive into it before a clear guide is produced.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Will there be any differences with the category data? I remember there was mention of differences due to "unique" way that sagetv scheduling was processing datafeed. I notice now that there is some issues either with the data or coding in sagetv where the category defined in show isn't recognized meaning it uses one of the other categories listed if there are multiple entries of when color coding categories it returns a null response. I tried tinkering with code myself but my manual overrides didnt seem to work.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:28 PM
SageTVaholic

EnterNoEscape worked pretty closely with Narflex to ensure that the data provided to sage from sdepg is as close as possible to what was provided by the sage epg (and he is continuing to offer that assistance as HE switches to sdepg as well).

Old 01-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm running the Schedules Direct lineup on SageTV 9 on Windows 7 because I only have one SageTV 7 license and it's in use on XP. I do like the sdepg, but I have no transition experience because it was a new installation.

Should I update SageTV7 to SageTV 9 before changing the EPG? I can think of two reasons. One, SageTV 9 may include bug fixes. Two, the SageTV 7 license check servers may go dark. OTOH, is there a reason to stay on 7?
Old 01-14-2017, 05:58 PM
SageTVaholic

There is no reason to stay on V7 and there will be more and more things that are V9 only. In fact I can't seem to get my V7 system to upgrade.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks, wayner. Basically, I was staying because of EPG. Should I update to 9 first? I think I should because there were two SD addons, one for 7 and one for 9. It's probably cleaner to update to 9 first then change EPG. After this weekend's recording, of course.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASegredo View Post
Thanks, wayner. Basically, I was staying because of EPG. Should I update to 9 first? I think I should because there were two SD addons, one for 7 and one for 9. It's probably cleaner to update to 9 first then change EPG. After this weekend's recording, of course.
This is the only path I would take because the v9 SD EPG is not an addon; it is a part of the core installation.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 01-14-2017, 06:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASegredo View Post
I'm running the Schedules Direct lineup on SageTV 9 on Windows 7 because I only have one SageTV 7 license and it's in use on XP. I do like the sdepg, but I have no transition experience because it was a new installation.

Should I update SageTV7 to SageTV 9 before changing the EPG? I can think of two reasons. One, SageTV 9 may include bug fixes. Two, the SageTV 7 license check servers may go dark. OTOH, is there a reason to stay on 7?
There is no "Licence check server" for sagetv on Windows. The key is checked locally in the software. The only thing that verifies the key remotely is the epg server, which IS going dark in July.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
There is no "Licence check server" for sagetv on Windows. The key is checked locally in the software. The only thing that verifies the key remotely is the epg server, which IS going dark in July.
I think the exe in the main V7 install package still has the license code in it but I'm not sure if the server does anything with it. Years ago Narflex posted a revised .exe only that removed the license. You had to manually copy that over after installing.

The EPG, as you pointed out, is still using the key regardless.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
I think the exe in the main V7 install package still has the license code in it but I'm not sure if the server does anything with it. Years ago Narflex posted a revised .exe only that removed the license. You had to manually copy that over after installing.

The EPG, as you pointed out, is still using the key regardless.
Sage never did phone home to verify the validity of the license, except on the 'Linux OEM version'. The EPG didn't really even verify the key until a couple years ago, well after the google buyout.

The revised .exe that narflex released was to allow the v7 server and client to work with v5 and v6 keys, without requiring the then unavailable upgrade key.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:55 PM
SageTVaholic

How does the EPG lineup work with Schedules Direct? Do you pay once and get one lineup? For example, in Sage at this time, I use one lineup and make a copy of that lineup for a different tuner - is that still considered one lineup?

On a separate note, if you had one lineup for cable TV, and another lineup for OTA TV, would you pay twice, once for each lineup?
Old 01-16-2017, 03:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
How does the EPG lineup work with Schedules Direct? Do you pay once and get one lineup? For example, in Sage at this time, I use one lineup and make a copy of that lineup for a different tuner - is that still considered one lineup?

On a separate note, if you had one lineup for cable TV, and another lineup for OTA TV, would you pay twice, once for each lineup?
A $25/year schedules direct account allows you to add up to 4 different lineups to what it fetches. Using the same lineup for more than one tuner is still just a single lineup.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
A $25/year schedules direct account allows you to add up to 4 different lineups to what it fetches. Using the same lineup for more than one tuner is still just a single lineup.
Ah. That seems quite reasonable. I also noticed on their website that they have a standard trial period, and another even more generous trial period.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:37 PM
Sage User

Read about Schedules Direct... we're just one of you guys... SD was formed by leaders of various Open Source projects when we lost our guide source and wanted our apps to keep working!

Robert
Schedules Direct
XMLTV
Old 01-24-2017, 10:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Gentlemen,

Since the epg service is going down soon does this mean that we will finally get use of the "TV Show Editorials" function while using Schedules Direct?

I am sure I cant be the only one who finds it the most convenient way to keep track of new upcoming shows.