SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Plugin: Schedules Direct EPG (not for v9)

This is the support forum for the new Schedules Direct EPG plugin for SageTV 7.1. This plugin provides access to Schedules Direct EPG data via their new JSON service.

NOTE: This plugin requires additional configuration steps in order to hook into the SageTV core. Please read the PRE-installation and installation instructions carefully!.

This plugin requires an active subscription to the Schedules Direct service. Visit their web site for details on acquiring such access.

In order to use more than one unique lineup within SageTV via this plugin, you must also have a sagetv-addons license. This is NOT the same as your SageTV server, client, or placeshifter license. See the link for details. If you only need one unique lineup then you may not need a license. A single lineup can be assigned to multiple input sources without the need for a plugin license. There are also other ways to remove the need for a license.

All advanced features of this plugin, as discussed in the user's guide, also require a license. Advanced features do not affect the ability to download and insert your EPG data into the Sage EPG. See the user's guide for more details on advanced features.

11 Feb 2013, 14:45 EST: Just waiting for an active maintenance window at Schedules Direct to complete. Once the SD service is back online, I'll click the button to ship the plugin to the repository. Shouldn't be more than an hour or two. Those who are dying of anticipation can start reading the user's guide.

11 Feb 2013, 16:10 EST: Going to be a few more hours. Just waiting for SD maintenance to complete.

11 Feb 2013, 20:00 EST: The plugin is now in the repository! There is an issue with the headend search function where it does not return all results for Canadian postal codes only; Schedules Direct will fix this later tonight.

11 Feb 2013, 23:10 EST: Canadian postal code search function fixed; all users should be good to go!
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...

Last edited by Slugger; 02-11-2013 at 10:11 PM. Reason: latest news...
Old 02-11-2013, 08:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for doing this. While I hope I never need it, I decided to go ahead and purchase the license because I have always appreciated your work on these plugins.

Wayne
i5-6400, MSI B150M Micro ATX MB, 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 - WD Green 2TB SATA Drives, Lite-On SATA 4X Blu-ray Reader, Corsair 400W 80+ Power Supply, Silverstone Sugo SG02-BF MicroATX Case, Windows 10 (64), HDHR Dual X2, Quatro and Prime, 5 x HD300 + 2 x HD100
Old 02-12-2013, 05:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
This plugin requires an active subscription to the Schedules Direct service. Visit their web site for details on acquiring such access.
When subscribing to Schedules Direct, what selection do I make in the "software you use" section? SageTV isn't listed at the moment. I assume it's "Non-distributed Personal Research"? Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Last edited by gdippel; 02-12-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdippel View Post
When subscribing to Schedules Direct, what selection do I make in the "software you use" section? SageTV isn't listed at the moment. I assume it's "Non-distributed Personal Research"? Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
That'll work for now. SageTV should be added to the list at some point in the near future.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:07 AM
SageTVaholic

what would be a scenario where I would use more than one lineup? right now I use two tuners, but believe all the channels are under 'one' lineup.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
what would be a scenario where I would use more than one lineup? right now I use two tuners, but believe all the channels are under 'one' lineup.
Look at your video sources in SageTV. Is the lineup associated with each the same? If so, you're only using one lineup. If they're not, you're using two (or more) unique lineups.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Are there any advantages to using this plugin over the built in Sage EPG at this time?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguebert View Post
Are there any advantages to using this plugin over the built in Sage EPG at this time?
Quite honestly, if you don't need/want to use the advanced scripting features then I'd say no, there is no advantage. But it's a viable alternative if there ever comes a time that such an alternative is required.

OTOH, if you want to be able to massage/edit/add data to your EPG then the scripting features allow it. See the User's Guide for such use cases.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I have multiple lineups because I have Satellite and OTA. One lineup for each. Technically I have 3 because my internet is via cable company and I can get the locals via QAM as well so I have a 3rd lineup for the local QAM channels.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguebert View Post
Peace of mind knowing that you won't suddenly lose epg data if Google pulls the plug. I know Jeff has said we'll have advance notice before that happens, but quite frankly, while I think Jeff's intentions are good, I don't know Google's plans and hesitate to rely on their continuing to provide epg data knowing that they could shut it off at any time without warning. BTW, installed the plugin and it seems to be working fine.

Last edited by gdippel; 02-12-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
I have multiple lineups because I have Satellite and OTA. One lineup for each. Technically I have 3 because my internet is via cable company and I can get the locals via QAM as well so I have a 3rd lineup for the local QAM channels.
I work for Schedules Direct and made the server-side of the new service.

There are stubs in the existing data format for QAM data. I've spoken to Derek, and he has no direct experience with QAM, and I don't run Sage.

If QAM tuning information were present for a headend, is there any facility for importing that into Sage? That could make the process of using QAM much easier if the scan / correlate function were automatic.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Look at your video sources in SageTV. Is the lineup associated with each the same? If so, you're only using one lineup. If they're not, you're using two (or more) unique lineups.
ah, Ok. I use two tuners, one connected to a satellite receiver, the other to a cable set-top box. Two different content suppliers, so that's TWO line-ups?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 02-12-2013, 07:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkulagow View Post
I work for Schedules Direct and made the server-side of the new service.

There are stubs in the existing data format for QAM data. I've spoken to Derek, and he has no direct experience with QAM, and I don't run Sage.

If QAM tuning information were present for a headend, is there any facility for importing that into Sage? That could make the process of using QAM much easier if the scan / correlate function were automatic.
Sorry I'm not able to answer your question. I've been thinking about switch to Slugger's plugin for SageTV but I haven't yet. I have four SageTV servers so was planning to try it on one of them but am not ready for the change on even one of them yet. Hopefully once my data migration is done I will have time to try it out. Maybe then I can advise.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
ah, Ok. I use two tuners, one connected to a satellite receiver, the other to a cable set-top box. Two different content suppliers, so that's TWO line-ups?
Yes, that would be two unique lineups.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:50 AM
Sage Fanatic

Multiple Lineups Question

I have a question on how to configure multiple lineups using this plug-in. (I have the sagetv-addons license.)

Background:

I have 2 HDHR tuners and 1 HDHR Prime tuner. When I was using the mc2xml plugin, I configured two different lineups, one for the 30+ broadcast channels and the other for all the subscribed to premium channels. Both types of tuners are subscribed to the same Comcast network.

Approach:

From reading the installation instructions, it sounds like what I would do in is configure ONE line-up for the 3 video sources in the HDHR Prime tuner that had all of the channels. Would I then use the same lineup for the 4 HRHR tuners and just remove the channels that are not available? Or would I need to create a separate lineup?

I am looking forward to trying this.

Thanks
John
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 02-13-2013, 08:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
Approach:

From reading the installation instructions, it sounds like what I would do in is configure ONE line-up for the 3 video sources in the HDHR Prime tuner that had all of the channels. Would I then use the same lineup for the 4 HRHR tuners and just remove the channels that are not available? Or would I need to create a separate lineup?
You can do it either way. But remember that if you use a copy of a lineup in Sage and disable channels on that copy, the copied lineup does not update as channels are added/deleted to the original lineup. If it were me in this situation, I would use two different distinct lineups, if two different ones were available. This way, if new channels are added to the lineup (or removed) then both lineups will have the changes reflected. If you go with the copy approach then any time a new channel is added to your lineup, you'd have to delete the copied lineup and recopy it in order for the new channel to appear in the copied lineup.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
But remember that if you use a copy of a lineup in Sage and disable channels on that copy, the copied lineup does not update as channels are added/deleted to the original lineup.
I did not know that. I guess I will be using the two lineup approach.

Hopefully I will get a chance to convert this wekend.

Thanks,
John
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 02-13-2013, 07:06 PM
Sage User

Hi, thanks for the new plugin, Slugger. I've been EPG-less for a few weeks now so I'm excitedly installing it.

I have one suggestion for the installation instructions, for those that are new to Schedules Direct. The initial password I chose for SD was generated by my password manager, and wasn't "sage-friendly" - it contained mixed lower and upper case. When I went to try to enter it manually in the config page for your sdepg plugin, I got it wrong so many times I was locked out of my SD account for 15 minutes. It would be helpful if I had realized ahead of time that I wouldn't be able to:

- paste the password
- see it as I entered it, other than as ****
- use lower-case letters

At least I assume I can't use lower case... I finally solved the problem by changing it to all upper case, anyhow.

I'll be attempting to use two lineups, since I have two antennas attached to my HDHomeRun that point to different transmission towers. I normally disable the channels for each lineup that come in poorly. I hope I can do this somehow with just one headend ID.
Thanks,
RobinG
Old 02-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Sage User

OK, I tried setting up two lineups by adding a second headend ID to my SD account using the zip code of a neighboring town. Both are called "Local Broadcast Listings - Antenna", however, and Sage thinks they are the same; that is to say, when I attempt to set up my second source using the new zip code, and select "Local Broadcast Listings - Antenna (Antenna)", it says another source is already using that lineup.

Is there a better way to set up two separate lineups in Sage+sdepg without having to pretend one is OTA and one is cable?
Thanks!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinG View Post
OK, I tried setting up two lineups by adding a second headend ID to my SD account using the zip code of a neighboring town. Both are called "Local Broadcast Listings - Antenna", however, and Sage thinks they are the same; that is to say, when I attempt to set up my second source using the new zip code, and select "Local Broadcast Listings - Antenna (Antenna)", it says another source is already using that lineup.

Is there a better way to set up two separate lineups in Sage+sdepg without having to pretend one is OTA and one is cable?
Thanks!
SD treats all zip codes in the same area as the same lineup, as does the Sage EPG, I believe. To my knowledge there is no solution other than to use a basic cable lineup as your second lineup. But for OTA, why not just copy the lineup for the second input? It's not like OTA lineups are going to change all that often, if at all. Assign a copy of the OTA lineup to the second input then enable/disable channels on that copy as needed.