SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-26-2021, 11:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks -- no luck yet.... registry entry is below with quotes moved. WHen I execute the registry entry from a command prompt it tunes. So maybe Sage and ExeMultiTuner are not sending the right code. My IR and Properties file have been modified properly I think but will look again. (they both refer to the next WMC machine "40511") . Is there a way to check the output of ExeMultiTuner? or the arguments the registry is sending? Thanks!

cmd.exe/c "C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\wmcmulti.bat" %DEVICE% %CHANNEL%
Old 09-26-2021, 01:22 PM
Sage Icon

How about registry permissions? https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=37

Due to the way the code is written, it requires write access to the key even though it really only reads it.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:33 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGsell View Post
not quite there yet... I worked out the batch file (only testing with one IP address for now..) It tunes if I set the DEVICE and CHANNEL manually but not quite there yet with tuning from SAGE. I suspect there's something off with my registry -here's the batch

rem wmcmulti.bat tuner batch file

@echo off
rem
rem manual setting device and channel for testing
rem Set DEVICE=40511
rem Set CHANNEL=820
rem

If %DEVICE% EQU 40511 set USEIP=192.168.1.56:40510

C:\Windows\System32\wget.exe "http://%USEIP%/tune %CHANNEL%"

pause

My registry (in the Frey tech location for 64bit)

cmd.exe/c "C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\wmcmulti.bat %DEVICE% %CHANNEL%"

the bat file is in my main Sage directory and wget in System32 - I can manually tune the batch file, so I think it's something with the registry calling the batch file. Also.... I don't get the cmd screen from the pause when trying to tune from Sage which might be a clue (I do get it from the manual tune). Getting closer! I hope this helps others when I get it working. Thanks all.
Several items of note:
1. If SageTv is running as a service, when ExeMultiTuner launches the .bat file, Windows won't open a cmd window. It's not good to use Pause in this case, since it leaves (one or more hidden) cmd window(s) running in the background until the SageTv service is stopped.

2. Your bat file is likely going to need a couple of additional lines (before invoking wget) to input the channel & device values

3. To assist with debug, log activity to a .txt file

Try the following (additions in red):
----------------------
@echo off
REM pickup parameters passed from Sage's ExeMultiTuner
set DEVICE=%1
set CHANNEL=%2

rem
rem manual setting device and channel for testing
rem Set DEVICE=40511
rem Set CHANNEL=820
rem

If %DEVICE% EQU 40511 set USEIP=192.168.1.56:40510

REM log operation
echo Tuning %USEIP% to Channel %CHANNEL% >> WmcMulti_log.txt

C:\Windows\System32\wget.exe "http://%USEIP%/tune %CHANNEL%"
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

SUCCESS!

Thanks Zogg, JustFred, and JNjj!

I needed to tweak a few things but getting the tuning log was a key factor to knowing what was going on. Registry didnt need quotes or to bring up a command prompt (guess this is bc the registry key is a command?)
The batch file seemed to need the arguments from the registry to be converted to variables %1, %2 etc) .
Also my tuner properties were cluttered with old tuners so I cleaned that up and everything works perfect so far....... amazing system!

C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\wmcmulti.bat %DEVICE% %CHANNEL%

rem Batch file to tune multiple WMC machines
@echo off
REM pickup parameters passed from Sage's ExeMultiTuner
set DEVICE=%1
set CHANNEL=%2

REM line below decides which WMC machine to call, need to change if IP addresses change. It's all one line in the file so I probably should indent

If %1==40610 (C:\Windows\System32\wget.exe "http://192.168.1.56:40510/tune %CHANNEL%") ELSE (C:\Windows\System32\wget.exe "http://192.168.1.21:40510/tune %CHANNEL%")

REM log operation
echo Tuning %1 to Channel %CHANNEL% >> WmcMulti_log.txt
@echo off
Old 09-27-2021, 10:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Correction Wnjj!
Old 09-27-2021, 03:45 PM
Sage Icon

Nice work getting the going. I should have noticed the %1/%2 variables. The DEVICE and CHANNEL variables get substituted for the actual values by the SageTV code when it reads the registry. Those variables just tell SageTV where to put them. Then when the batch file is called, it has “fresh” arguments as %1 and %2 which is standard for command line arguments to batch files.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:15 PM
Sage Expert

Although you may have this working without the "cmd" or quotes in the registry entry, I strongly encourage using the following, since it's less fragile (less likely to break later with some future Windows update):

cmd.exe /c "C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\wmcmulti.bat" %DEVICE% %CHANNEL%
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Great comments all. Hoping this helps others who want to tune WMC through Sage. Grateful this forum is still active and helping everyone.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Help needed "VmcController Background Addin" unable to launch error

Hi -- I have been successfully using the WMC Live Tuner and EXEMultiTuner etc and just tried to setup another WMC machine. I can tune channels including DRM (through HDMI output to single display etc) however for some very strange reason I am not able to 'connect' through the VmcController.... when starting up WMC....The error box is:

INVALID APPLICATION
Unable to Launch "VmcController Background Addin"

I have tried multiple installs of 8.1 Pro 64bit, and spent hours on this problem - cant find anything on the forum that would help... and I had NO problem getting this to work on other WMC machines...!! Appreciate any insight from anyone on this. thanks
Old 10-12-2021, 05:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Fixed - VMCController issue....

Learned a valuable lesson - you MUST have the .NET Framework 3.5 enabled in the 'Features' Menu - only the parent is necessary - but my previous problem was that 3.5 was not enabled properly although it was installed according to Windows Update .... anyway.... hope this helps someone... on with WMC Live Tuner!
Old 12-23-2021, 09:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Update to my WMC Live Sage system

As I posted previously I was able to work out two WMC machines (laptops running W8.1 pro) and tuning via the scripts in this thread. However running WMC 24/7 on these machines with limited memory (4gb) required rebooting every few days. As an upgrade I purchased two MiniPCs on Amazon running windows 10 and went through the steps described in the link below to get WMC running on W10 (had to use the early build 1511 !...) its; tricky but now I have two mini pcs w 8Gb RAM, W10Pro as my WMC machines and so far they are flawless. I am sure there will be the occasional gltiches but so far very happy.
It can be a frustrating process (WMC on W10 ) and I am happy to help anyone trying to do it.

https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums...135021#p135021
Old 12-25-2021, 07:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
As I posted previously I was able to work out two WMC machines (laptops running W8.1 pro) and tuning via the scripts in this thread. However running WMC 24/7 on these machines with limited memory (4gb) required rebooting every few days. As an upgrade I purchased two MiniPCs on Amazon running windows 10 and went through the steps described in the link below to get WMC running on W10 (had to use the early build 1511 !...) its; tricky but now I have two mini pcs w 8Gb RAM, W10Pro as my WMC machines and so far they are flawless. I am sure there will be the occasional gltiches but so far very happy.
It can be a frustrating process (WMC on W10 ) and I am happy to help anyone trying to do it.

https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums...135021#p135021
This is working with a Prime/CableCard tuner on W10 and WMC? WMC 8 or 7? I went through this process 3 years ago with an Intel NUC and discovered it would only work with OTA tuners, and it just wound up being a PITA.

Also, link to the MiniPC's you used? Thanks!
Old 12-25-2021, 08:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

FYI.
WMC has an issue with Intel graphics. Becomes a problem when trying to use a NUC. There is a rather convulted thread on the GreenButton about this issue.

A portion of it refers to extenders and other posts are about PCs. I suspect the WMC extenders use Intel graphics (XBox 360).

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 12-25-2021, 09:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Zogg and UgaData -- link is below - yes I'm using HDHR Prime Cable Card tuner- on Windows 10 (ver1511 -- you have to freeze it at that version with StopUPdates or similar software). It can be a finicky setup but there are a few tricks that get you through i) PlayReady not updating, ii) DigitalCableAdvisor, and iii) Tuner not found issues. In fact you have use an older version of the SiliconDust setup. However I have replicated it a few times, works very well for DRMd channels. I create a disc image to go back to in case it breaks however I have not had to resort to that. Ditched the settop box and USBUIRTs 6 months ago and havent had any regrets. It's convoluted and I was quite frankly a little shocked it worked but as long as your willing to live with a 'frozen utility machine' just sitting there tuning cable cards it's a good solution.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099KSJN8P...roduct_details
Old 12-26-2021, 11:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Hi Zogg and UgaData -- link is below - yes I'm using HDHR Prime Cable Card tuner- on Windows 10 (ver1511 -- you have to freeze it at that version with StopUPdates or similar software). It can be a finicky setup but there are a few tricks that get you through i) PlayReady not updating, ii) DigitalCableAdvisor, and iii) Tuner not found issues. In fact you have use an older version of the SiliconDust setup. However I have replicated it a few times, works very well for DRMd channels. I create a disc image to go back to in case it breaks however I have not had to resort to that. Ditched the settop box and USBUIRTs 6 months ago and havent had any regrets. It's convoluted and I was quite frankly a little shocked it worked but as long as your willing to live with a 'frozen utility machine' just sitting there tuning cable cards it's a good solution.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099KSJN8P...roduct_details
Thanks. I was more curious than anything, but might be in the market for a good mini PC so wanted to know what you used. I had two Win7 WMC boxes running but kept running into issues with both, one a boot problem and the other would tell me no tuner or channel available even though I had a dedicated Prime tuner for it. I got tired of missing recordings so I went down a different path, but I might resurrect a system and see what happens.
Old 12-27-2021, 09:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

One observation; W10 seems to do a much better job of releasing RAM - important since these WMC machine are constantly tuning a channel. After a few days of running my W8.1 machines would slow down with RAM use at > 75% causing all sort of issues. These W10 machines, running three days now maxed out to about 58% but more importantly show no signs of quirkiness. I'll update every week or so for those who might be interested.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Just chiming in expressing interest in this thread.

I've ordered a Silicondust HDHR3 and will experiment with an old mini PC using W10 (1511). Need to get another cablecard.

I've been using an HDR for many years with nearly flawless performance. Also using an old InfiniTV card and last year put in an old Hauppauge card to get OTA channels. All this seems to be working fine, but wanted to try this HDHR method (to get 3 more sterams).

Appreciate the info being shared. Will post with my findings (and probably some posts with some trouble needing help).
Old 12-28-2021, 06:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Good luck Deano! will help if needed. One of the most counter intuitive requirements is that you need to use an older version of the HDHomerun software. Otherwise... 'no tuners found' error appears... The links are there but just to be sure I archived the actual programs. The 1511 link is time sensitive so you need to download the iso and install it pretty much same day.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

OK. Some details to report.

I've successfully installed W10 (1511) and WMC. I got things set up, and can tune channels in WMC. Once exception right now (and had to stop working on the machine yesterday) is that I cannot get encrypted channels (screen shows something to the effect of needing to play on same machine as when recorded). I suspect some more tweaks are needed.

I've still got to work the whole "get the recorded shows to Sage" part of this setup, but that's next steps.
Old 12-30-2021, 08:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

I think I recall that error at some point but not sure how I worked around it. Theres a Digital Cable Advisor Override script that I ran at some point (I have the file and can send it but it's also on the Green Button) . I assume you activated digital cable etc in the setup....

Tags
tuner setup, tuning, windows media center, wmc