SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 12-18-2015, 08:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thumbs down Need information about playon/playlater

First off sorry if I placed this in the wrong place.
Back story:
I just got my Comca$t bill, they raised my monthly payment by 33%.
Seriously considering cutting the cord. After reading the forum for replacements I think that Playon /Playlater would best fit my needs.

What I have:
SageTV V6.5.8.203
Java 1.7.0_67
Windows XP Pro
1-Server, 1-Client

Quick questions:
1- can I use what I have to use Playon /Playlater?
2- what is involved? I see that I would need to install a Plugin.

I've tried to find answers on this forum but there's just too information.

Please help.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

It's unlikely you'll be happy with the results. You didn't post what processor/speed/mem you have, but if it came with XP it's probably very old/slow. Certainly you won't have good results if you want HD.

First, I'd replace XP with something only 10 years old. :-/
Actually, just buy a new or reconditioned machine and put Windows 10 on it (or Linux). With the money you'll be saving by cutting the cord, it will pay for itself in one or two months.

Then move Sage to version 9.

I've been happy with PlayOn/PlayLater.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have zero funds for any rebuild.
I'm not interested with HD.
Server has a Pentium III Quad core 2.666 GHz,
2G RAM
2TB scratch HDs (4-500gB HDs)
7TB storage HDs (3-2TB & 1TB HDs)
2 SDHD OTA boxes
The server runs Sagetv Service. Mainlobby / DVDlobby, and HomeSeer with an Ocelot PLA. And a 1Ghz over copper network.
No problems.

BTW, SW Comc@st and got a better package w no contract, this gives me more time to consider my options

Last edited by Paul H; 12-18-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:57 AM
Sage Icon

Also keep in mind that for most channels (like AMC, FX, TNT BBCA etc) that come via cable, you'll have to enter your cable company's name and your cable account password into PlayOn's setup or you won't be able to receive those channels thru PlayOn.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 12-18-2015, 12:33 PM
SageTVaholic

If I was going to cut the cord my first choice would be Android TV such as a Google player and The Silicondust connect tuners ... it would not be playon.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:55 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
If I was going to cut the cord my first choice would be Android TV such as a Google player and The Silicondust connect tuners ... it would not be playon.
I agree... I think a Roku or Fire TV would get you access to Netflix, Hulu, SlingTV (for sports, TNT, and some others), Amazon, Vudu, etc.

This is what I use, plus an OTA antenna and tuner for local stations. There are some things I don't get anymore (Syfy) but there's still plenty to choose from.

(By the way, I also have playon/playlater, which I can access from Roku, but I haven't used it yet...)
Old 12-18-2015, 01:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargason View Post
I agree... I think a Roku or Fire TV would get you access to Netflix, Hulu, SlingTV (for sports, TNT, and some others), Amazon, Vudu, etc.

This is what I use, plus an OTA antenna and tuner for local stations. There are some things I don't get anymore (Syfy) but there's still plenty to choose from.

(By the way, I also have playon/playlater, which I can access from Roku, but I haven't used it yet...)
My plan is hopefully to eliminate my server all together and use a Nas to do all the recordings. too much of a headache keeping a server up to date.

Nexus player ... HdHomerunDvr and a high Quality Nas.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:51 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post
Also keep in mind that for most channels (like AMC, FX, TNT BBCA etc) that come via cable, you'll have to enter your cable company's name and your cable account password into PlayOn's setup or you won't be able to receive those channels thru PlayOn.
That is a great point. I use PlayOn/Play Later to supplement cable, not replace it. Like a show didn't record the other day so I was able to grab it off Play Later.

I will say this though, the new version of PlayOn/Play Later works 20 times better than the previous version and the HD quality is much better.

As for your system, it doesn't appear to meet the minimum requirements (https://www.playon.tv/support/minreqs). Also, are you sure you have a Pentium III? I think they maxed out at 1.4 GHz and only had one core. Perhaps you have a Pentium D, which I believe was the only Pentium brand chip that had more than one core (the D was dual core).

Since you don't care about HD, why not look into getting rid of cable boxes and just get SD basic cable. A lot of cable companies will sell basic channels for less than $40/month.

I agree with everyone else though, a Roku, FireTV, etc. device and a Hulu/Netflix subscription would be your best option.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 12-19-2015, 11:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

I stand corrected, it is a D,I used an old copy of Everest that reported the CPU was a Pentium III.
Comca$t (XFLIMSY), the only cable I can get, offers a Digital Economy package for $20.00 (40+ channels) but it doesn't offer the channel I want.
The Digital Starter package $90.00 (140+ channels) has channels I'll never watch and it still does not offer all the channels I like. Plus The Economy Plus Internet is $30.00. So that's $120.00 or $50.00.

BTW I don't use HDMI, Prefer Component Video.

So thanks for all the input and advice.