SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:35 PM
SageTVaholic

No, the webUI isn't in openDCT yet (though at one point, EnterNoEscape has plans to include one).

New installs of sage have discovery of network encoders enabled by default, but if the setting is already false in Sage.properties, it won't be turned on. You'll need to do so:
Code:
network_encoder_discovery=true
remember the sage server has to be shutdown to edit sage.proeprties, and sage only does discovery when it starts, so you'll need the openDCT docker up and running first before starting the sage docker. The detection packets should show up in the openDCT log you were already looking at when sage sends out it's packets, and once in sage, you should be able to add the new sources in Setup -> Setup Video Sources -> Add New Source.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-12-2016, 11:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks Fuzzy, I shut down sage and changed the line discover_networked_tuners to true and it does find the windows openDCT (can tell by the IP), but not the docker openDCT. Is there something else that needs to be changed? The openDCT log file shows no errors.

attaching the openDCT log if that would help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt openDCT_Docker_.txt (28.3 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by BobbyDing; 10-13-2016 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:25 AM
SageTVaholic

The property is network_encoder_discovery=true. I'm not sure what discover_networked_tuners is. Beyond that, I'd need to see sagetv_0.txt as well.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
The property is network_encoder_discovery=true. I'm not sure what discover_networked_tuners is. Beyond that, I'd need to see sagetv_0.txt as well.

Yes, it was network_encoder_discovery=true. I was going from faltering memory. Here's the sagetv_0.txt

Thanks You!

Bobby
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_0.zip (1.9 KB, 139 views)
Old 10-13-2016, 12:25 PM
SageTVaholic

You don't appear to have sage actually logging anything (that file just has a few plugins that don't obey the debug setting). enable logging in sage.properties and start it up again (should probably enable network encoder debugging as well):
Code:
debug_logging=true
network_encoder_debug=true

Old 10-14-2016, 09:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
You don't appear to have sage actually logging anything (that file just has a few plugins that don't obey the debug setting). enable logging in sage.properties and start it up again (should probably enable network encoder debugging as well):
Code:
debug_logging=true
network_encoder_debug=true
Thanks You. Here's the logs with those debugging lines turned on. Sage still sees only the windows openDCT.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_0_10-14-2016.zip (20.9 KB, 130 views)
Old 10-14-2016, 10:34 AM
SageTVaholic

This has got to be something to do with your network topography stopping broadcasts from getting from your SageTV Server, to OpenDCT. Looking through your various logs you've posted, I'm seeing three very different IP addresses:

Old 10-14-2016, 11:37 AM
SageTVaholic

I can tell you the bottom one is docker. The other ones are likely real network adapters.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 10-14-2016, 02:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

190 is the windows machine running openDCT on the same network. I suspect the 122.1 may be an unused port on the unraid machine. I'll check that when I get home. The windows SageTV doesn't see the docker openDCT either. Might there be any diagnostic commands I can run from within openDCT ?

Thanks!!

Bobby
Old 10-15-2016, 10:17 AM
Sage Fanatic

I am thinking of setting up a test system for V9.

Does OpenDCT need to be running on the same PC as SageTV? Or can I use the version running on the system with SageTV V7?
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 10-15-2016, 01:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
I am thinking of setting up a test system for V9.

Does OpenDCT need to be running on the same PC as SageTV? Or can I use the version running on the system with SageTV V7?
OpenDCT, being a network encoder, can reside anywhere. For auto-discovery to work, it needs to be on the same subnet as the sagetv server, so that the broadcast from the server can be seen by OpenDCT for it to respond.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
OpenDCT, being a network encoder, can reside anywhere. For auto-discovery to work, it needs to be on the same subnet as the sagetv server, so that the broadcast from the server can be seen by OpenDCT for it to respond.
Great. Thanks!
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 10-15-2016, 04:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Can OpenDCT act as network encoder for my old Hauppauge HVR-1600 and HVR-1800 tuner cards?

I have these tuners installed in a Sage client (that used to be my Sage server) and I'd like to make them available to my new Sage server running in the unRAID Docker.
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 10-15-2016, 05:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfi33 View Post
Can OpenDCT act as network encoder for my old Hauppauge HVR-1600 and HVR-1800 tuner cards?

I have these tuners installed in a Sage client (that used to be my Sage server) and I'd like to make them available to my new Sage server running in the unRAID Docker.
openDCT only works with HDHomeRun devices, and other CableCard tuners.

However, for what you want, SageTV itself can act as a network encoder for your HVR-1600 and HVR-1800 cards though. You'd uninstall the SageTVClient from that computer, and install the full SageTV package, set it up for those devices, and configure it to be a network encoder, then you can still use the UI instance of it as a client (Launching SageTV.exe -client) that connects to your main server. This (using one instance of sagetv to record for another instance of sagetv) was actually the original purpose of the network encoder protocol that openDCT uses.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
openDCT only works with HDHomeRun devices, and other CableCard tuners.

However, for what you want, SageTV itself can act as a network encoder for your HVR-1600 and HVR-1800 cards though. You'd uninstall the SageTVClient from that computer, and install the full SageTV package, set it up for those devices, and configure it to be a network encoder, then you can still use the UI instance of it as a client (Launching SageTV.exe -client) that connects to your main server. This (using one instance of sagetv to record for another instance of sagetv) was actually the original purpose of the network encoder protocol that openDCT uses.
Gotcha. I'll give that a shot. Thanks, Fuzzy.
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 10-15-2016, 06:17 PM
Sage Fanatic

If you use SageTV as a network encoder and have your recording directories as UNC paths, will the capture device write directly to the UNC path or does it travel to the server?
Old 10-15-2016, 06:38 PM
SageTVaholic

I believe the SageTV Network Encoder talks directly back to the server, and lets the server write the file.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm still experiencing issues with openDCT/docker and thought I'd try a clean install since I've just upgraded to unraid 6.2.1. If I remember correctly when first installing openDCT on windows you needed to run the console mode first, then stop the service and restart. Is this still required and does this need to be done with the docker? Also, I assumed that the order is to start openDCT, then start sagetv. Is this correct?

Thanks so much,

Bobby

Last edited by BobbyDing; 10-18-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDing View Post
I'm still experiencing issues with openDCT/docker and thought I'd try a clean install since I've just upgraded to unraid 6.2.1. If I remember correctly when first installing openDCT on windows you needed to run the console mode first, then stop the service and restart. Is this still required and does this need to be done with the docker? Also, I assumed that the order is to start openDCT, then start sagetv. Is this correct?

Thanks so much,

Bobby
I had some issues setting up Sagetv Docker under unRaid using the OpenDCT docker. I didn't need to run the console for the docker, but see below for how I resolved my setup issues.

Do you by chance have a Windows instance of OpenDCT?
I ended up copying the working OpenDCT properties from my Windows install to the unRaid OpenDCT instance and was successful (note: I did edit the properties file from Windows before using it for the docker install, mainly to remove any IP address referring to the Windows instance.)

I prefer to start OpenDCT first then SageTV, weather it matters or not.

(Have you seen this thread? https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63586 )

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks very much for the post. I do have a functioning windows install, though it's a lesser version. Absolutely worth a try though.

Bobby

Update. Using the windows version of the properties file did not work for me. But thanks for the link. I'm following the progress.

Last edited by BobbyDing; 10-19-2016 at 12:57 AM.