SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

# of supported capture tuners

I installed new Hauppauge 2255 cards. Wondering what card capacity of sagetv software is. After first installed new cards 2 2255 + 1 2250 they all appeared in sagetv ( 6 configured tuners ) now only 4 are showing up. Win 7 didn't recognize driver on one card but reinstalled. Sagetv is still only showing 4 tuners. is this a software issue, card issue or is it possibly a problem with mobo? using an asus 6X58D Premium board. hoping to get this all working right so can work on setting up server client network.

galaxysurfer
Old 11-17-2015, 08:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxysurfer View Post
I installed new Hauppauge 2255 cards. Wondering what card capacity of sagetv software is. After first installed new cards 2 2255 + 1 2250 they all appeared in sagetv ( 6 configured tuners ) now only 4 are showing up. Win 7 didn't recognize driver on one card but reinstalled. Sagetv is still only showing 4 tuners. is this a software issue, card issue or is it possibly a problem with mobo? using an asus 6X58D Premium board. hoping to get this all working right so can work on setting up server client network.

galaxysurfer
I have 4 SageTV v7 servers (until end of month when my satellite service runs out - 2 after that). Two have 10 configured tuners. The other two servers have 7 tuners each configured. Many HDHRs, AverMedia Duets, HVR-2250s, HVR-950Qs, HD-PVRs and Colossus.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

galaxysurfer
Some dual tuners, you select the same turner more than once, and there will be tuner #1, Tuner #2, etc. (wow, long time since I added a "new" tuner!) so check for that.

If that doesn't help, check Window's device Manager to see if windows sees all of them, and no errors. If some are missing, I'd go this route: (Warning, this is 100% from my failing memory)
1. Disable SageTV auto-start and server.
2. Run Hauppauge's clear program. (forget name)
3. Install each driver. (maybe reboot between installs)
4. Only when all are installed (Windows manager), open SageTV client, and try adding tuners.
5. Only enable sever when tuners are running.

Or better yet, wait for someone that isn't as old as the hills to remember the real fix!!!
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 11-18-2015, 07:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Wondering what card capacity of sagetv software is.
Sage has no pre-set limit on the number of tuners, you can add as many as you can connect to your PC.

As for your issue, did you restart SageTV (including the service if you're using it) after you reinstalled the drivers?

Also check your sage.properties for an "ignore_encoders" line and make sure the tuners aren't listed there.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:12 AM
SageTVaholic

I found that Sage is limited in the Dual tuners it can correctly identify ... the hardware support needs to be updated ... I know that my Hauppauge WinTV USB HD Dual tuners is only identified as 1 tuner yet NEXTPVR correctly identifies them as dual tuners.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I found that Sage is limited in the Dual tuners it can correctly identify ... the hardware support needs to be updated ... I know that my Hauppauge WinTV USB HD Dual tuners is only identified as 1 tuner yet NEXTPVR correctly identifies them as dual tuners.
Yup that ture nyplayer
Old 11-18-2015, 03:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I wish sage TV would correctly Id the Hauppauge WinTV USB HD Dual tuners as I bought one to replace my failing 1600 and really like it. Would love though to be able to se both tuners with sage tv
Old 11-18-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trallyus View Post
I wish sage TV would correctly Id the Hauppauge WinTV USB HD Dual tuners as I bought one to replace my failing 1600 and really like it. Would love though to be able to se both tuners with sage tv
It not as eazy as you think, I ready ask about.
I don't think we have a Windows Dev here that good enough at dealing with everything relating to Windows codes, Java, Media and ATSC + QAM and other Hardware in out.

Last edited by SHS; 11-18-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
I do think we have a Windows Dev here that good eough at dealing with
everything relating to Windows codes, Java, Media and ATSC + QAM and other
Hardware in out.
I would love to see if someone could get it working
Old 11-18-2015, 05:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trallyus View Post

Yes they are great tuners they get better reception than my HDHomerun units using the same antenna.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

ok thanx for the replies. So theoretically no issue with 3 dual tuners. so it is most likely a corruption in win or sage tv somewhere? so will try a clean reinstall to hopefully lick this problem.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
ok thanx for the replies. So theoretically no issue with 3 dual tuners. so it is most likely a corruption in win or sage tv somewhere? so will try a clean reinstall to hopefully lick this problem.
Try one at a time using newer 2255 first
Old 11-20-2015, 06:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Try one at a time using newer 2255 first
When I had installed my 2255 and 1600 in windows 10 I let windows update install the drivers it found first then when that was done I installed the drivers from the hauppauge site next.

then I rebooted and scanned for new channels.

If I did not let windows update to install the drivers it found first I tended to have errors with the cards.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

reinstalled tuner drivers that went ok. now after reinstalling sagetv 7.1 only one of 2255 & 2250 are recognized
still missing detection of one 2255

should i try removing the 2250 & go with 2 2255 i am puzzled because when i furst added the tuners all 6 were detected by sage then one card dropped out of detection due to win 7 no longer detecting it.
not sure what root cause is if registry etc is corrupted ...
Old 11-20-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
reinstalled tuner drivers that went ok. now after reinstalling sagetv 7.1 only one of 2255 & 2250 are recognized
still missing detection of one 2255

should i try removing the 2250 & go with 2 2255 i am puzzled because when i furst added the tuners all 6 were detected by sage then one card dropped out of detection due to win 7 no longer detecting it.
not sure what root cause is if registry etc is corrupted ...
Take out 2250 see sage see all tuner
2255 yes or no to all tuner show up ?
Old 11-20-2015, 08:50 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I don't think we have a Windows Dev here that good enough at dealing with everything relating to Windows codes, Java, Media and ATSC + QAM and other Hardware in out.
In theory, it shouldn't be THAT involved. It does require someone with the relevant expertise and inclination to spend the time needed to insure Sage plays well with the drivers for the associated device, and may require some other tricks being employed for Sage to become aware of the capabilities of the device. (In this case, the second tuner)

That people can get one of the two tuners working on the USB tuner out of the box strongly suggests to me it is probably a simple enough issue to address, as Sage has already been demonstrated as abe to use video from the device. Someone "just" needs to find out how/why Sage isn't detecting the second tuner.

But that loops back to time/inclination/skills and possibly possession of the physical hardware to test against(or a "suitable" guinea pig being available to give feedback).

Edit to add: And as far as inclination goes, owning one of the "problem" tuners would likely be a motivator for some, but as most of the established devs here are on mostly static systems that have been running awhile....

Last edited by Monedeath; 11-20-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monedeath View Post
In theory, it shouldn't be THAT involved. It does require someone with the relevant expertise and inclination to spend the time needed to insure Sage plays well with the drivers for the associated device, and may require some other tricks being employed for Sage to become aware of the capabilities of the device. (In this case, the second tuner)

That people can get one of the two tuners working on the USB tuner out of the box strongly suggests to me it is probably a simple enough issue to address, as Sage has already been demonstrated as abe to use video from the device. Someone "just" needs to find out how/why Sage isn't detecting the second tuner.

But that loops back to time/inclination/skills and possibly possession of the physical hardware to test against(or a "suitable" guinea pig being available to give feedback).

Edit to add: And as far as inclination goes, owning one of the "problem" tuners would likely be a motivator for some, but as most of the established devs here are on mostly static systems that have been running awhile....
I can tell where the problem lies in SageTV I believe it using BDA Receiver Components that why only see "Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD TS Capture" when it need make use of BDA Soource Filters which is listed as
Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD ATSC Tuner
Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD ATSC Tuner 2

I don't recall how the 2250/55 are done as I have to dig out a card and install to see it under Graphedit
Old 11-20-2015, 11:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

got them to install finally after wouldnt recognize driver on one thought maybe it was doa but played musical pcie slots & then tried again till system cooperated.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
got them to install finally after wouldnt recognize driver on one thought maybe it was doa but played musical pcie slots & then tried again till system cooperated.
That good to hear