SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

$99 Externder Replacement PC

http://www.networkworld.com/article/...d-support.html

Available at Newegg for $99.

I wanted to use this little wonder as a poor man's extender, but sent it back for an exchange. The HDMI video on mine was sensitive to the slightest flex in the cable, shredding the picture or blacking out completely. I tried two different cables with the same result. NewEgg has been great, sending me a free shipping label for the return unit.

On the plus side, it's given me a chance to order a Bluetooth keyboard with multi-touchpad. I found a refurb'd Logitech K400 for $19.97 at Amazon.

The Kangaroo can connect to an app that puts its Win10 desktop on the iPad with full touch control. I've used it and it works well. This would also work as a Sage client remote control if you already have an iPad.

For the week I had it, Windows 10 seemed fast and responsive. It connected easily to my wi-fi. You'll need a USB ethernet adapter if you don't want wireless. I used it to stream YouTube videos and things looked very good indeed.

When my new Kangaroo arrives, I'm ready to install SageClient and upgrade to v9. I've always used HD200/300 extenders to connect to my Sage server, so running a client computer will be new to me. I'll let ya all know how it performs...
Old 11-16-2015, 11:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by metapath View Post
http://www.networkworld.com/article/...d-support.html

Available at Newegg for $99.

I wanted to use this little wonder as a poor man's extender, but sent it back for an exchange. The HDMI video on mine was sensitive to the slightest flex in the cable, shredding the picture or blacking out completely. I tried two different cables with the same result. NewEgg has been great, sending me a free shipping label for the return unit.

On the plus side, it's given me a chance to order a Bluetooth keyboard with multi-touchpad. I found a refurb'd Logitech K400 for $19.97 at Amazon.

The Kangaroo can connect to an app that puts its Win10 desktop on the iPad with full touch control. I've used it and it works well. This would also work as a Sage client remote control if you already have an iPad.

For the week I had it, Windows 10 seemed fast and responsive. It connected easily to my wi-fi. You'll need a USB ethernet adapter if you don't want wireless. I used it to stream YouTube videos and things looked very good indeed.

When my new Kangaroo arrives, I'm ready to install SageClient and upgrade to v9. I've always used HD200/300 extenders to connect to my Sage server, so running a client computer will be new to me. I'll let ya all know how it performs...
I have Kodi with Plex Plugin and SageTVClient running on mine with flirc remote receiver.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I have Kodi with Plex Plugin and SageTVClient running on mine with flirc remote receiver.
So I spent a good portion of last night tinkering around with the Kangaroo trying to get smooth playback while running SageTV Client 7 (trial) -- and have not yet figured out the puzzle. I would like to know what video settings you are using for playback. I have it pretty close, but it still has some jitters. FWIW, I have a dedicated htpc running SageClient 7 for at least 5 years now, so I know it can be done with the proper hardware.

Currently, the kangaroo is connected over wireless connection, but I have a USB 3.0 nic on order.

My Sage settings on the Kangaroo:

EVR renderer
FullScreen Exclusive: ON

Codecs:
SageTV - very choppy playback
Microsoft DVD-DTV - Somewhat better playback (this is what I use on my htpc)
MPC (antipack) - nearly perfect playback, but with occasional jitters (from here: http://babgvant.com/blogs/andyvt/arc...g-your-pc.aspx) This codec did not show up in the list, but was revealed once I opted to show all filters.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

Install LAV filters that what I used on the hp stream tablet and tat worked well.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechling-burgh View Post
Install LAV filters that what I used on the hp stream tablet and tat worked well.
Yes that is ok to use... You have to use quicksync as acceleration in lav video filters.

Set your JVMMaxHeapSizeMB to 300 do a regedit and do a find on JVMMaxHeapSizeMB do a refind sometimes there are 2 entries depending if you use UAC or not.

Set the render to EVR
everything else video audio etc set to default.
audio renderer set to DirectSoundX-XXXXXXXXXXX (intel SST Audio Device (WDM).

See how that works.

I do not use fullscreen exclusive.

Let me know how that works.

Last edited by nyplayer; 11-19-2015 at 10:39 AM.