SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:51 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Silicon Dust DVR Coming

http://silicondust.us1.list-manage1....5&e=82e4c760a0
Old 04-20-2015, 07:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
Sounds cool copy protected content can run on a nas etcc...
Old 04-20-2015, 09:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Should be an interesting product. It does solve the problem of non-copy-freely content from the cable company, and opens up the field to non-proprietary extender limitations. This is what many people are looking for, a product that just works out of the box ... we'll see.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Take this a bit further they hope to make a Kodi client. If it takes off nothing to stop them from looking at a Sage client once sage is OS if the demand is there. I definitely backed it as my cable company protects every stupid channel so WMC is my only option right now
Old 04-21-2015, 06:22 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Should be an interesting product. It does solve the problem of non-copy-freely content from the cable company, and opens up the field to non-proprietary extender limitations. This is what many people are looking for, a product that just works out of the box ... we'll see.
Myself, and another SageTV user have asked a couple questions about how the content will be played on a TV. The answer seems to be..... served from a PC/tablet/phone.
From a question my friend asked their reply was:

"Typically you would use a media PC or Android device (including Android TV).

We also have proof-of-concept for a app that runs on a Samsung TV via SmartHub. If that gets approved by Samsung it will eliminate the need for a client box."

Pretty limited abilities. I do NOT want to have to keep a laptop/tablet/phone in my lap to watch TV. Plus there are already a lot of Samsung apps that aren't available to my several year old Samsung TV and I fear this new app wouldn't be an option either. Also, Samsung TVs are popular, but what about all the other brands? What about non "smart" TVs?

My question I asked them on their Kickstarter page this morning was whether they would be using DLNA for the interface and playback. They haven't replied as of yet.

Initially at least it looks like we're back to one of the drawbacks of most of the other options many of us looked into when Google bought SageTV...... no extenders.

The ability to have the channels available from my cable company that I can't currently get through my HDHR Primes is very desirable, but not at the expense of a "usable" system, at least for me.

Also, will it have comskip capabilities on recorded content? A complete non starter for someone who hasn't been forced to watch a commercial since I learned how to use my FF/RW buttons on my VCRs MANY years ago, and couldn't even go back to FF/RW now that I've used Comskip in SageTV all these years.

Last edited by waynedunham; 04-21-2015 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:08 AM
Sage Icon

1. I guess this kills the thought some people had about getting SD on board to play nicely, or even create a specific device, for Sage. Wouldn't this make them "competition"?

2. As cord cutting and streaming-only becomes more widespread, I think the majority of the public is going to expect to use a third party device, like a Roku or Chromecast or Fire TV, to get that content on their TV. So from that aspect, I don't think SD is that far out of line here. Many here (in the "dream client" thread) express concern about capabilities of these devices, like DTS or HD audio or 4k or even 5.1 surround. Most of the public doesn't need this, especially if they are just plugging the device into their family room flatscreen.

3. I wouldn't expect any commercial, packaged device to allow commercial skipping. The best you could hope is they leave their software open for plug-ins and leave that window open for third party developers so they can wash their hands of it with respect to broadcasters.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
Myself, and another SageTV user have asked a couple questions about how the content will be played on a TV. The answer seems to be..... served from a PC/tablet/phone.
From a question my friend asked their reply was:

"Typically you would use a media PC or Android device (including Android TV) ..."
How are they dealing with DRM?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
How are they dealing with DRM?
Because it's allowed on local lan by cable labs. Look at tivo it does the same thing with the minis. The key is then keeping the drm intact
Old 04-21-2015, 12:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Because it's allowed on local lan by cable labs. Look at tivo it does the same thing with the minis.
And Xbox 360s
Old 04-21-2015, 12:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
And Xbox 360s
Iirc it still involves the process being certified which could be the reason for kick starter to cover the cost.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Iirc it still involves the process being certified which could be the reason for kick starter to cover the cost.
True, I was pointing out the more obvious allowed over the LAN example of a Silicon Dust product. Meaning the HDHR Prime recorded protected content for WMC, and the 360s can play it over the LAN
Old 04-21-2015, 01:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
True, I was pointing out the more obvious allowed over the LAN example of a Silicon Dust product. Meaning the HDHR Prime recorded protected content for WMC, and the 360s can play it over the LAN
Right using play ready certified drm I'm not sure what tivo does but they even allow copying to mobile devices copy protected show now sure how they pull that off
Old 04-21-2015, 03:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

If they are able to pull off the DRM issue, I think it will become a popular option but creating a full featured DVR server app overnight doesn't seem possible. In trying to understand the kickstarter campaign, its seems they aren't charging for the DVR server app, only 30/annually for EPG fee. Its just wishful thinking but if SD isn't charging any monies for the DVR server app, would they be allowed to develop SageTV OS for use with their hardware? Seems like a great fit.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:48 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm not sure they have to get their system any more certified than they already have with the Prime. The Prime will already stream protected content via UPnP to a DTCP-IP capable player. DTCP-IP meets the requirements of cablelabs, which is how they were allowed to do so. If they stick to that format, than they'll be good. (Consequently, this is the same system that AllVid, which SageTV was a supporter and member of, was supposed to be using, had it actually worked out).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 04-21-2015, 05:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
... Pretty limited abilities. I do NOT want to have to keep a laptop/tablet/phone in my lap to watch TV. ....
I guess my assumption was that any android device that has access to the play store would be capable of this, plugged directly into the television. If this is the case, it seems to me that would open up a lot of new extender style options, which is much less limiting that what we have at present moment with Sage.

Am I off base here?

(I'm a bit more curious as to how they deal with multichannel audio via Android device)
Old 04-21-2015, 06:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I'm not sure they have to get their system any more certified than they already have with the Prime. The Prime will already stream protected content via UPnP to a DTCP-IP capable player. DTCP-IP meets the requirements of cablelabs, which is how they were allowed to do so. If they stick to that format, than they'll be good. (Consequently, this is the same system that AllVid, which SageTV was a supporter and member of, was supposed to be using, had it actually worked out).
True but allot of the platforms they are hoping to support don't support DCTP-IP. I wish more did. Is there any outside of the Playstation?
Old 04-21-2015, 06:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I guess my assumption was that any android device that has access to the play store would be capable of this, plugged directly into the television. If this is the case, it seems to me that would open up a lot of new extender style options, which is much less limiting that what we have at present moment with Sage.

Am I off base here?

(I'm a bit more curious as to how they deal with multichannel audio via Android device)
Ya I don't know where the idea came from you had to have a tablet or phone to stream that isn't their goal I don't believe.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
True but allot of the platforms they are hoping to support don't support DCTP-IP. I wish more did. Is there any outside of the Playstation?
The HDHR Prime currently streams to a few televisions as well, I believe.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 04-22-2015, 01:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I'm almost positive they are using dtcp-ip.

Almost any platform can support dtcp-ip. There are numerous pre made sdks out there for licensing (also need to dtcp license keys). Additionally there are few software packages out there that let you view copy once channels using the hd prime right now. The only one that I have found that is easily accessible is softlink made by Cyberlink for windows. You can view HBO, etc with it today if you buy it.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

BTW If this thing does work out on the android TV front. You really looking are looking at a do everything box that will handle any and all content (official Netflix, official Hulu, copy once cable, HBO go, etc etc etc).

I wonder how Ceton will respond to this. This will probably not work with their devices (mainly because I think the dvr is built using DLNA and Ceton cards don't expose the video stream via DLNA ...I think)