SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Going Full Scale 4X HDPVR GE

In the next month or so, I'm finally going to make the jump from SD cable (4tuners) to HD DIRECTV (4 HDPVR GE). I've been away for a little while, and I'm wondering what the latest issues/fixes/recommendations are with these? I'm going to be using HDMI all the way through (which won't be an issue if you've read other threads around here ) My goal is to do everything humanly possible to try and make these things as reliable as I can.

Please take a look at these questions and the list of things I have or have planned, and let me know what you think? I'll take any advice you can give me, your own experiences using the GE model; whatever.

QUESTIONS:

Whats the best recommended driver right now?

Is there a FW update for these?

Does Java have an effect on these? If so, what version is recommended?

For multiple HDPVR installs is it best to use the mobo ports, add a single USB card, add a USB card/controller for each, etc?

WHAT I HAVE SO FAR:

Threw away the wall-worts. I have a HQ +5VDC power supply that will feed up to 3amps of clean, regulated power to each device independently. It is also running off of an UPS, so power outages won't screw anything up.

HQ USB and HDMI cables for all the connections between everything and the server. Everything is color coded RED/GN/BL/OR to keep everything organized if there is a problem with one or more of them.

Everything will be rack mounted (or sitting on a shelf in the rack) in a temperature controlled closet. The shelf the HDPVR's is on is well vented. I will monitor the temperatures closely for awhile. Worst case scenario, i'll pull the PCB boards out of the cases, mount them to a plastic back board, and slap water cooling blocks on them if I have to...one way or another they will remain cool.

I'm going to have cable and DIRECTV for the 1st month while I get everything sorted out. This may cause some issues with all those Hauppauge drivers floating around on one machine, but I'll eventually use HWCLEAR and load the HDPVR's one at a time.

I'm going to be using 4X H25 receivers from DIRECTV, also rack mounted, and also on an UPS (everything related to recordings will be on an UPS, including the PI for the dish, sage server, etc.).

I'm going to IP tuning for the H25's (I have a DTV DECA for this connection already installed) (and yes the deca is on an UPS too )
Redundant power supply, dual UPS's, etc
Samsung EVO 850 SSD X2 OS drives
WD 4TB Purple drive for recordings, various other drives for archives
Tuners are a work in progress
Old 03-05-2015, 12:38 PM
SageTVaholic

I can't help you with everything but I have been running a system with two HD-PVRs for a long time. I use the regular USB ports on the mobo and don't have any problems. Your power supply solution is a good idea as that is the most common issue with the HD-PVRs.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

I run 3x HDPVRs on a single PCI NEC chipset based card, and my USB-UIRT on one of the mobo ports. The adapter was a no name like Syba or something. I like the idea of the power source.

Good luck with the switchover

Grant
Old 03-06-2015, 06:24 PM
Sage User

Running Windows 8.1 and using 5 HD PVRs with Directv, I am using the latest drivers -- 1.7.1.30059. No problems with the HD PVRs in months. I always have a couple of replacement power supplies handy, though.

I ran XP up until around 6 months ago - and used the older drivers (1.5.7). The older drivers did not seem to like Win 8.

Good luck

Bill
Old 03-06-2015, 06:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am running 4 HDPVR's off of motherboard USB ports as well without problems. Stuck with 32-bit Windows 8.1 so I could do firewire channel changing on three of my SA Cable boxes. Use an USB-URT to change the one newer box that I found was not reliable with firewire changing.
As previous posters have noted it is power supply and poor quality input that affects the HDPVR's the most. If they are solid then the capturing seems to be solid.
Good luck and let us know your successes!

Dwight
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
EXTERNAL DEVICES: 4x HD-PVR's Firewire Channel Changing
TUNERS:NO LONGER RECORDING LIVETV
CLIENTS: 2xHD300 2xHD200 SONY ANDROIDTV MINI-CLIENT
Old 03-06-2015, 08:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, cool. I was hoping to hear from some of you guys that are running several of them. Are you guys all using the original model? I recall someone saying that 5.1 is broken on the newer GE model. I would prefer to have 5.1, but I can live without it. Have you guys had any overheating issues?
Redundant power supply, dual UPS's, etc
Samsung EVO 850 SSD X2 OS drives
WD 4TB Purple drive for recordings, various other drives for archives
Tuners are a work in progress
Old 03-07-2015, 11:11 AM
SageTVaholic

I only have the one HDPVR1212, but never had any problem with overheating on this unit. I do have a vertical cabinet with all my hardware, but the glass door on the front is rarely closed, and my HDPVR sits on its side, instead of flat if that has any impact.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:46 PM
Sage User

Never had any overheating issues in my five. I have replaced some power supplies. I have the original models -- most say Rev F2 on a sticker on the bottom.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigo93bronco View Post
I'm going to be using 4X H25 receivers from DIRECTV, also rack mounted, and also on an UPS (everything related to recordings will be on an UPS, including the PI for the dish, sage server, etc.).

I'm going to IP tuning for the H25's (I have a DTV DECA for this connection already installed) (and yes the deca is on an UPS too )
That how I had mine setup but before with (4) H24 as the H25 wasn't even out at the time. I had HD-PVR 2 (1) 1480 & (1) 1512 alone side with (2) Colossus
Old 03-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am using the original model myself
Old 03-12-2015, 01:48 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigo93bronco View Post
Threw away the wall-worts. I have a HQ +5VDC power supply that will feed up to 3amps of clean, regulated power to each device independently. It is also running off of an UPS, so power outages won't screw anything up.
Link for that power supply???
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)