SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Sage Icon

Force LAN mode

Is there a way to force the HD300 to be LAN mode when connected from outside my LAN? My upstream is over 40Mbps so it should be fast enough to stream without transcoding.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Sage Expert

The only way I can think of is by fooling the HD300 into thinking the SageTV server is on a local network. A VPN would be the best option I would think, which would unfortunately require quite a bit more setup (you'd have to run a VPN server on your home LAN, and have the HD300 routed through a VPN client).

How is the quality when you use placeshifter mode on the HD300? I would think it would be decent if you have that much upstream bandwidth.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
Is there a way to force the HD300 to be LAN mode when connected from outside my LAN? My upstream is over 40Mbps so it should be fast enough to stream without transcoding.
Question, why don't you do it the other way round? Basically you setup the HD300 to always use your public IP address then you disable in the router the "Filter internal NAT redirection" or similar firewall setting depending on your router model, this way you can use the HD300 on both your LAN and WAN without change (and without performance drop as the router "knows" that in LAN mode it has to simply redirect internally) and naturally you need to open the relevant ports on your router as well (which you probably have done already to use the HD300 as placeshifter).

Of course I assume that you have a static IP address and you wanted to use your HD300 inside/outside your house without changing the network settings. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by routerunner; 06-08-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
The only way I can think of is by fooling the HD300 into thinking the SageTV server is on a local network. A VPN would be the best option I would think, which would unfortunately require quite a bit more setup (you'd have to run a VPN server on your home LAN, and have the HD300 routed through a VPN client).

How is the quality when you use placeshifter mode on the HD300? I would think it would be decent if you have that much upstream bandwidth.
Just for TV recordings, the quality is almost as good as LAN. Channel changing is very speedy also. It's just on Placeshifter mode, menu animations are disabled. you would think that is better, but it is actually very sluggish as it lags on every remote control button presses. Also, in Placeshifter mode, many video formats do not transcode, such as certain MKVs. So your media library does not play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by routerunner View Post
Question, why don't you do it the other way round? Basically you setup the HD300 to always use your public IP address then you disable in the router the "Filter internal NAT redirection" or similar firewall setting depending on your router model, this way you can use the HD300 on both your LAN and WAN without change (and without performance drop as the router "knows" that in LAN mode it has to simply redirect internally) and naturally you need to open the relevant ports on your router as well (which you probably have done already to use the HD300 as placeshifter).

Of course I assume that you have a static IP address and you wanted to use your HD300 inside/outside your house without changing the network settings. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Eddy
I read your reply a few times now, and I still don't understand how that works.

I was hoping for a simple sage.properties setting something like "extender_always_lan=TRUE", but I guess it doesn't exist.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I read your reply a few times now, and I still don't understand how that works.

I was hoping for a simple sage.properties setting something like "extender_always_lan=TRUE", but I guess it doesn't exist.
OK, sorry. Basically every decent home router has a firewall which have some settings and one of this setting is typically a filter to NAT redirection which is well explained HERE.

My case scenario. I run a website and a mail server from one of my Linux box at home and I read my emails via Thunderbird email client on my laptop, now I want to be able to read my email either when I'm home or away OK? I cannot setup my email client to have two accounts, one for my local IP pool and one for my public IP when away, so one solution is to setup my email client to always use my public IP address, but in order to read the email using the same settings at home I have to allow my router to redirect the NAT.

I think you can achieve the same result with your HD300.

Hope it helps
Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by routerunner; 06-09-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Sage Icon

Continued...

If you want to know whether you router redirects NAT or not is trying to ping your public IP address from your LAN, if the ping succeeds that means that you router doesn't filter the NAT redirection and you should be OK, if it doesn't work you need to find the setting on your router and disable the filter.

Modern routers (all LinkSys model do) detect that you are trying to access your external IP address from your LAN and they automatically redirect the address internally without going on the Internet and coming bank as you might think and therefore achieving a very low <1msec latency which is the typical value for a LAN.

Eddy

Last edited by routerunner; 06-09-2014 at 12:59 PM.