SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Sage Icon

edl format for comskip

TL; DR: Will using "2" or "3" markers in EDL files confuse SageTV's comskip playback?

Maybe a FAQ, but I've just started playing with XBMC for playback of my SageTV recordings. The issue I'm having is that XBMC takes the EDL files as gospel, and actually presents the video with the commercials chopped out. In a perfect world, that would be great, but comskip is never perfect for me, so I wind up missing parts of the show that are mis-flagged as commercials.

According to http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Edit_Decision_List, I think I want to post-process my EDL files and change the "0" (cut) markers to either "2" (chapter) or "3" (commercial break) to facilitate the sort of thing I'm used to on SageTV, where if comskip is not perfect, you can manually go back and watch the mis-flagged part of the show.

At any rate, I was worried that if I post-processed my EDL files, then sagetv's comskip playback might get confused.

Thanks,

Drew
Client: Nvidia Shield (HD300, HD100 in storage)
Old 04-17-2014, 11:47 AM
SageTVaholic

I think the plugin will ignore that parameter. Why not edit one of the .edl files manually and see how Sage handles it?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:19 PM
Sage Icon

The plugin supports both "0" or "3" and treats them as skips.

Also if you set "edl_skip_field=3" in your comskip.ini then it will your edl should work in both XBMC and SageTV

John
Old 04-18-2014, 07:28 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post
The plugin supports both "0" or "3" and treats them as skips.

Also if you set "edl_skip_field=3" in your comskip.ini then it will your edl should work in both XBMC and SageTV

John
Cool, thanks for the tip. But ... I wonder if I have an older version of the plugin?

When I tried it last night, I took an old edl file generated quite a while ago, and edited it to replace 0 -> 2 for one show, and 0 -> 3 for another. In the "2" show, comskip seemed to work normally. But in the "3" show, it seemed to be horribly confused, and to treat the entire 60 minute show as a giant commercial.

The frustrating thing about it is that I still haven't figured out if xbmc is parsing the commercials. It acts just like the EDL file was not there on both the "2" and "3" files, and still does the "10 minute" skip on up or down, not a skip to the next/previous chapter. Apparently, there is a bug with this in Gotham, but I thought it only affected mp4, and this is mpeg2.

Drew
Old 04-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Sage Icon

I've just noticed you are running Linux. I'm wondering if it's an issue in the plugin with handling end of line characters once you have edited the files. Try overwriting Comskip_Playback.stvi with the one from here

John
Old 04-19-2014, 09:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post
I've just noticed you are running Linux. I'm wondering if it's an issue in the plugin with handling end of line characters
John
No, the issue is with me just being an idiot. I had the 2/3 confused -- 2 is what was confusing sagetv, and 3 is what works fine. That's how I think its supposed to be. Sorry to have wasted your time making that stv.

Thanks!

Drew
Old 04-19-2014, 10:38 PM
Sage Icon

Glad you've got it resolved.

John