SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Deleting entries in the Wiz.bin - Does anyone know how?

Hi

I'd like to delete some of the excess from my wiz.bin .

I've got a 26MB Wiz.bin. I've gone through my favourites and deleted any favourite no longer used. I do not used like/dislike and I've also "unwatched" a few programs.

One of the problems seems to be that there are recordings that are "unwatched" and over a year old that still show up in sagetv search ( and are therefore still in the wiz bin ). Ideally I'd like to delete these from the wiz.bin somehow. I'd like an option to edit the wiz.bin manually if that's possible but I'm open to ideas and suggestions.

Any help is appreciated please.

Thanks

EDIT: This should be in sagetv 7 customizations thread as I am using sagetv 7 - same question though.

Last edited by matterofrecord; 03-11-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:49 AM
SageTVaholic

You can't edit the wiz.bin manually, only through the API. If you really want nothing left but your current recordings, probably the best bet is to just delete the wiz.bin. Since you're using V7, the metadata should be in your recordings so they'll repopulate the new wiz.bin.

You will lose all your favorites if you do that, but I think you can export/import them from the web interface.

The other thing you could try, if you've got "real" files that no longer exist that Sage hasn't removed, is this:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...th*#post523671
Old 03-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for your help stanger89. Could you or someone clear up a few things for me as I'm not as technically proficient as a lot of people here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
You can't edit the wiz.bin manually, only through the API.
TBH I doubt I would have the skills to work with sage api. are there any good/easy guides around ?

Quote:
you can export/import them from the web interface.
I'll take a look at web interface see what I can do. If it's possible I might export/setup sandbox/re-import see how that works.

Quote:
The other thing you could try, if you've got "real" files that no longer exist that Sage hasn't removed, is this:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...th*#post523671
What that guy is recommending is setting
seeker/disable_root_path_existence_check=true

I can't seem to find a guide to what sagetv properties mean. Can anyone explain this one please

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matterofrecord View Post
TBH I doubt I would have the skills to work with sage api. are there any good/easy guides around ?
It's probably not worth it for what you're looking for, and I'm not sure you can even really "clean" it with the API.

Quote:
What that guy is recommending is setting
seeker/disable_root_path_existence_check=true

I can't seem to find a guide to what sagetv properties mean. Can anyone explain this one please
Sage will keep files in it's database if they disappear but their root path is inaccessible. This is to protect networked files (ie files on a networked machine) in the event of a network problem, assuming those files are only missing temporarily. That property disables that function one time on the next startup of Sage, so Sage will remove any file it can't find (regardless of it's path).

Though maybe the other question is, are you having a problem you're trying to solve?
Old 03-19-2014, 02:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Though maybe the other question is, are you having a problem you're trying to solve?
Well this is the smartest question to ask and you are right. I have a severe case of freezing and stuttering when playing back recordings. My understanding is that a large wizbin can be a contributory cause. Using HD tune pro my C drive shows large reads and writes. During these large reads/writes are when I have the most problems with freezing. Sagetv is the only program running so sage is probably responsible and AFAIK writing and reading to the wiz bin is the mostly likely culprit.

Just in case anyone else with the same problem is reading this here is what I tried. I set up neilm's sage webserver. I found I was only able to export current recordings, favourties etc and not crucially past information like programs recorded a few years back etc. I decided that I liked having the info on past recordings.

I tried setting seeker/disable_root_path_existence_check=true but that didn't solve my main problem of past unwatched recordings clogging up the Wizbin.

I see only one solution and that is getting a fast SSD. I am still looking for a solution so if anyone finds a way to trim stuff out of the wizbin please post your solution.

Thanks for trying to help stanger89
Old 03-19-2014, 06:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matterofrecord View Post
Well this is the smartest question to ask and you are right. I have a severe case of freezing and stuttering when playing back recordings. My understanding is that a large wizbin can be a contributory cause. Using HD tune pro my C drive shows large reads and writes. During these large reads/writes are when I have the most problems with freezing. Sagetv is the only program running so sage is probably responsible and AFAIK writing and reading to the wiz bin is the mostly likely culprit.
Well FWIW, my wiz.bin is over 50MB and has probably 10 years (wow ) of history in it, so I wouldn't call 26MB "big".

As far as your writes, you might want to try Process Explorer to see what process is actually doing the writes.

That said, are your recordings on your c drive as well? How is it formatted, with 4K clusters? Have you defragged it recently? One possibility is if something is writing it could bog down the HDD enough to cause interruptions.

Quote:
I tried setting seeker/disable_root_path_existence_check=true but that didn't solve my main problem of past unwatched recordings clogging up the Wizbin.
For anyone else reading, what that property fixed for me (well would have fixed if I hadn't fixed it a different way ) is I had recordings/media files that no longer existed, but were listed in my views, so since I had comskip which puts an icon on files with comskip, every time I accessed a screen with "missing" files, the UI would hang until it gave up trying to access the path that didn't exist.

But if your problem is glitches during playback, I'd look at a throughput issue on your HDD, like defragging, 4K clusters, etc.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:24 AM
Sage Expert

45.2MB here and no music in it (I use another program for that). I do, however, experience a memory leak and when my Java heap balloons to over 1MB, the exact same symptoms you have described happen to me. A restart of the Sage service fixes it up. I have to do this every few days.

Tags
wiz, wiz.bin