SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-16-2014, 10:34 AM
Sage User

Fast Forward and Rewind not working properly

(SageTV on WHSv1 getting content from HDHR)

I’ve been having problems for the past number of weeks (ever since I switched to the HDHR). I’m having this problems with the FF and REW. When I press FF it jumps forward about 15 sec, but then jumps forward even farther (the amount it jumps forward seems random). When I press REW it will “looks” like it goes back 15 sec, but then it jumps back to where it was previously.

I have searched the forums and see issues with FF and REW, but nothing that looks like what I'm experiencing.

Thoughts?
Old 01-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moakes View Post
(SageTV on WHSv1 getting content from HDHR)

I’ve been having problems for the past number of weeks (ever since I switched to the HDHR). I’m having this problems with the FF and REW. When I press FF it jumps forward about 15 sec, but then jumps forward even farther (the amount it jumps forward seems random). When I press REW it will “looks” like it goes back 15 sec, but then it jumps back to where it was previously.

I have searched the forums and see issues with FF and REW, but nothing that looks like what I'm experiencing.

Thoughts?
I've seen this with files that have glitches in the video stream. I also have a WHSv1 and use HDHR's for content. Not had many problems with mpeg files but there has been a few when atmosperic conditions screw with the signal. You can set the ff and rew times in Sage under detailed setup.

Good Luck
Mike
Old 01-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Sage User

Thanks, for the reply, Mike. The problem is that this is on all the content, not just one. I have checked the FF/REW settings on that page, and they are at the default. I'm still trying to figure this out.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Sage User

I’ve done some more testing in the hopes that I can solve this. I found out something interesting. For the “older” content that were saved/encoded with the analog video card, I can FF/REW through those as expected. HOWEVER, for any new content (encoded with the HDHR) they all have the problem.

So is this a timecode issue? Is there any way to test an encoded video to see if the timecode is correct? Could I post a link to one, and would anyone be willing to test it on their system in an effort to determine if it is the encoded video file itself, or if it is something else in my system?
Old 01-20-2014, 04:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I’ve done some more testing in the hopes that I can solve this. I found out something interesting. For the “older” content that were saved/encoded with the analog video card, I can FF/REW through those as expected. HOWEVER, for any new content (encoded with the HDHR) they all have the problem.

So is this a timecode issue? Is there any way to test an encoded video to see if the timecode is correct? Could I post a link to one, and would anyone be willing to test it on their system in an effort to determine if it is the encoded video file itself, or if it is something else in my system?
Let me get home and I'll see if I can help. A question though. Is this an OTA HDHR? If so, it isn't the HDHR plus that encodes in an h.264 format is it?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:27 PM
Sage User

Thank you firenice.
The signal is coming from Comcast cable, to the HDHR. I think it the SageDCT service encodes it (I believe it is correct).
Old 01-20-2014, 06:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Thank you firenice.
The signal is coming from Comcast cable, to the HDHR. I think it the SageDCT service encodes it (I believe it is correct).
I just PM'd you. Thats the prime you have that captures .ts files. I havew a prime also but not experiencing this with ff/rew.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:22 PM
Sage User

I sent you a few PMs and emails directly but haven't heard back. Are you busy, or have you changed your mind? Thanks.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I sent you a few PMs and emails directly but haven't heard back. Are you busy, or have you changed your mind? Thanks.
I answered your email. Must not have gotten through. I was out of town a couple of days but thought you had recieved it. I imported the file into my sage and did not have any issues with it. I followed your directions about going to the 8 minute mark but alas no problems.

Mike
Old 01-31-2014, 05:26 AM
SageTVaholic

newest verison of SageDCT has a feature that will pass the stream through ffmpeg to clean it up. This should fix any timeline issues in the stream coming from Comcast.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Sage User

Mike: Sorry I never received your email, not sure what happened, but thanks for replying on the forum. OK, so the trouble is not in the encoding then. Seems like it is somewhere else in my config. Thank you for taking the time to check the video file.

Fuzzy: But if Mike was able to play with no problem, seems like that solution won't address the problem, seems like that solution (new version of SageDCT) is to address timeline issues DURING encoding. But I'll go upgrade just to check that off the list. Thank you.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:21 PM
SageTVaholic

He said his older recordings played back fine, but the cablecard recordings have the timeline issues. There are, of course, remux programs that can correct timeline issues after the fact, but it just makes sense to do it while it's recordings, if that feature is available.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-16-2014, 07:23 AM
Sage User

I have a similar issue -- I'm using HDHR Prime + SageDCT 2.7.2, with the ffmpeg setting. All is well now with the recordings, but there's something funny about the FF and RW. I have them set at 10 and 30 seconds, and what I'm finding out is that if I hit the FF and RW twice consecutively, it works great, but if I just hit them once, then there's a horrible lag with the video. The audio is fine, but the video takes about 5-10 seconds to catch up.

I'm using an old ATI Radeon HD 2400, which I figure is still good enough to use for my HTPC needs. I'm using the ATI MPEG Decoder since that one displays closed captions. I don't have this problem with the Sage MPEG Decoder, but I get no captions with that one. Any ideas?