SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Sage User

Non skip-based fast forward/rewind?

Is it possible to implement a fast forward/rewind that is speed-multiple based rather than skip-time based? For example, the Tivo I am trying to replace scans forward/backward at some multiple of normal playback speed with one button press. Another press increases the speed multiple. When you are ready to resume playback, press play and it backs up a bit and resumes normal speed.

Sage skips ahead a fixed time value with each button press (ctrl-f). Not only do I have to keep pushing the button to get to the point you want (not good for the button or the batteries), but usually go to far and have to manually backup (ctrl-a). "Play faster" (ctrl-m) is similar, but it is only 2x normal. Not fast enough for commercials.

I don't know how much customization is possible, or how difficult it would be to do this. One method might be to set up some sort of macro that has a loop that sends the ctrl-f commands until the button is pressed again and then sends a ctrl-a and a ctrl-d.

Is this sort of thing possible within Sage? Would it be set up as a custom command in remote setup? Something done with Studio? Any other ideas?

Gary
Old 05-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Sage Expert

This thread discusses a plug-in that does exactly what you are asking for. Not sure if it does the "back up a little when you stop fast forwarding" or not.

I'm still not too sure why this functionality is not part of the main Sage product though...

Last edited by aperry; 05-03-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperry
I'm still not too sure why this functionality is not part of the main Sage product though...
From my understanding it doesn't work well with all decoders. I believe the Nvidia decoders sometimes give trouble with it. I'm not sure about other decoders.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

well,actally that one IS skip time based... and it doesn't work too well if you are using nvidia decoders which seem to be the most popular.

That plugin just skips forward at a set interval over and over... it does not "play faster."

I would like to see one that can replicate WinDVD FF modes that leaves the audio playing at a faster rate up to 2x and then mutes at speeds beyond that.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanning
Not only do I have to keep pushing the button to get to the point you want (not good for the button or the batteries), but usually go to far and have to manually backup (ctrl-a). "Play faster" (ctrl-m) is similar, but it is only 2x normal. Not fast enough for commercials.
I highly suggest look into comskip. You can process the shows as they're recording and the breaks will show up in the timeline. You can set Sage to automatically skip past them.

The easiest and best way IMO is to use Dirmon2 to control which files to process, comskip to actually process the shows, and then you'll need the comskip import for Sage. All of it is free and can be found in the customization forum. Just find the threads related to each program and there will be instructions on how to set each one up. It's not that hard and is a very nice feature.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooves12
That plugin just skips forward at a set interval over and over... it does not "play faster."
I don't think this can be achieved with a plugin, since I do not know of any API which would allow this...

Dirk
Old 05-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
I highly suggest look into comskip. You can process the shows as they're recording and the breaks will show up in the timeline. You can set Sage to automatically skip past them.

The easiest and best way IMO is to use Dirmon2 to control which files to process, comskip to actually process the shows, and then you'll need the comskip import for Sage. All of it is free and can be found in the customization forum. Just find the threads related to each program and there will be instructions on how to set each one up. It's not that hard and is a very nice feature.
How accurate is comskip? Does it ever cut out part of the actual program, even a small amount?

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit
Old 05-03-2006, 01:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve52
How accurate is comskip? Does it ever cut out part of the actual program, even a small amount?
The accuracy varies. For some people it's dead on and others it's not. The majority of my shows are 100% accurate. For me, when it does miss a commercial it usually marks the commercial as part of the show, not the other way around.

Comskip doesn't actually cut out the commercial. It marks where in the time line it is so that Sage can skip over it. If it does mark part of the show as a commercial all you have to do is hit the Rew button.

When using comskip the custom 4 and 5 buttons jump forward or back to the next commercial break. So if part of the show is incorrectly marked as the beginning of a break all you need to do is hit custom 4 on the remote and it will jump back to the beginning of the break so that you can see it then when the actual commercial begins you hit custom 5 and it jumps to the end of the break.

Once you get used to using it you wonder how you ever survived without it.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yes but the fixed value is adjustable.

I understand where you're coming from, I used a Tivo for 5-6 years before Sage and at the start I really hated the skip over the smooth FF/REW of Tivo. For some things I still do, sports comes to mind where smooth transport makes a bit of a difference.

But when it comes to commercials I've found the adjustable skip method to work great. I have the short skip set to 30 secs both FF/REW and the long skip set to 2.5 minutes and the REW set to 8 secs back (like Tivo).

I use both daily and while I still prefer Tivo's smooth transport for sports (slo mo, frame step), with Sage I can skip commercials with much less effort and with far greater accuracy.

peace . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanning
Sage skips ahead a fixed time value with each button press (ctrl-f). Not only do I have to keep pushing the button to get to the point you want (not good for the button or the batteries), but usually go to far and have to manually backup (ctrl-a). "Play faster" (ctrl-m) is similar, but it is only 2x normal. Not fast enough for commercials.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Sage Icon

I agree that the multiskip ff/rew does not work well with the NVidia decoders and does not get a good rating at all on the WAF. I noticed that the GermSage plug in allows you to use an external video player for all videos. So, my questions are:

1. Is there a good media player to use (windows media player, nero, zoomplayer, something else) that will decode just as good as the NVidia does with Sage.

2. The external media players I'm assuming use their own decoders or do they also use the default decoder such as NVidia?

3. Is there a good external media player that has smooth FF and REW?

4. Will the external media player on a Sage client have no problem playing a partially recorded mpg file if my Sage server control is still recording the mpg file?

I suppose it is an option because I finally got NVidia to work but to my disappointment the multiskip works pretty bad with NVidia. Maybe if I go Hi-Def, it won't matter if it's being played through Sage or NVidia then I can have the multiskip with an internal player.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-04-2006, 06:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961
I agree that the multiskip ff/rew does not work well with the NVidia decoders and does not get a good rating at all on the WAF. I noticed that the GermSage plug in allows you to use an external video player for all videos. So, my questions are:

1. Is there a good media player to use (windows media player, nero, zoomplayer, something else) that will decode just as good as the NVidia does with Sage.

2. The external media players I'm assuming use their own decoders or do they also use the default decoder such as NVidia?

3. Is there a good external media player that has smooth FF and REW?

4. Will the external media player on a Sage client have no problem playing a partially recorded mpg file if my Sage server control is still recording the mpg file?

I suppose it is an option because I finally got NVidia to work but to my disappointment the multiskip works pretty bad with NVidia. Maybe if I go Hi-Def, it won't matter if it's being played through Sage or NVidia then I can have the multiskip with an internal player.

Thanks,
Mike
It's not so much the Media player but the decoders that determine how smooth. Most of the external players use the decoders installed on your machine.

Nero has it's own along with Media Player Classic and VLC.

The other issue you may see is if the Sage file is broken into multiple parts your external player will stop at the end of each one. Some may support queuing but ut won't be transparent like Sage.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:04 AM
Sage User

I should probably add that I am running HD, and hence, the choice of decoders that are up to the task is limited... to Nvidia so far. The software that came with my Dvico Fusion cards plays beautifully, including nice, smooth hi-speed FF/RW (All around better than Nvidia). However, it's UI for other functions is terrible. I messed around with trying to get Sage to use the Dvico decoders, but was not successful.

Perhaps there is some hope in using the Dvico app as an external player only.

Gary