SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

View Poll Results: Interested in a full XBMC / SageTV Server PVR integration? How much per license?
No - Not interested 15 16.48%
Yes - Interested willing to pay 1-time $15 license (unlimited nodes) 43 47.25%
Yes - Interested willing to pay 1-time > $15 license (unlimited nodes) 28 30.77%
Yes - Interested willing to pay $5 per node license 5 5.49%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Sage Icon

Excellent idea to gain visibility through Geektonic, MissingRemote.

I think the XBMC angle might be of interest - though XBMC owners in general cannot benefit unless they own SageTV or go purchase SageTV (through 3rd parties).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Is there any way to send an email to all the folks that may have bought a sagetv-addons license?

http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/vi...p?f=39&t=15892

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1496941/xb...etv-pvr-plugin

http://missingremote.com/forums/sage...in-kickstarter

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php...004#pid1538004
Old 10-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

I suspect at least few XMBC users may be interested in running a SageTV backend, particularly if some of the advantages over MCE are presented. There are a LOT of XBMC users.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Sage Icon

Trying to get Missing Remote, Geektonic, Engadget and others who ran SageTV news articles in past to publish about this effort:

Quote:
Love your SageTV server as much as we do? Have you been waiting, hoping, praying that Google would release a follow up after swallowing up our beloved SageTV?
Amazingly two years later SageTV is still the best home Media Center solution out there. A true testament to how far ahead of the competition SageTV truly was. For those of us running SageTV we want to keep the good time rolling for as long as possible.

Unfortunately with official development done there is dwindling hope for new features such as Netflix and Hulu plugins, or integrated support for online media, or new extenders to replace your aging HD300s. That's where the SageTV XMBC plugin come in... with this plugin you can continued to leverage the rock solid SageTV backend and leverage the new and ever growing modern XBMC front-end which includes an extensive library of plugins (Playon, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Spotify), support for internet video and multiple small form factor clients (Rasberry Pi, Ouya, Android...).

Please support our effort to make the SageTV XMBC plugin a reality by making a donation to our kickstarter effort: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...etv-pvr-plugin
Any help from others is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Sage Icon

Is there anyway to get @sagetv (Jeff K) to tweet about it? He has lots of followers...
Old 10-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflamm View Post
Is there anyway to get @sagetv (Jeff K) to tweet about it? He has lots of followers...
send him an email? facebook?
Old 10-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I have itemized exactly what the costs are in the Kickstarter for full transparency/disclosure...
Just curious, where will these dev's be located that it costs $75/hour to hire them? I'm a PM/dev manager, and we can get onshore resources in the midwest for less than that. (And offshore is crazy cheap, although I personally wouldn't advise that)
Old 10-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Sage Icon

Front page: http://missingremote.com/

Quote:
where will these dev's be located that it costs
San Francisco Bay Area... and that is low cost for out here. The developers are very good btw.

Front page: http://www.geektonic.com/

Please +1 and re-tweet as much as possible.

Quote:
send him an email?
I sent email to Jeff @ Google asking if he could send out a notice to SageTV users. Hopefully we can get his support.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:13 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
San Francisco Bay Area... and that is low cost for out here. The developers are very good btw.
I live in Oakland, work in SF. Is there a need to have SF area developers? I typically only staff 5-10% of my team locally, I use other USA locations for the others. (Oddly, Idaho & Georgia have HUGE dev communities, are a lot cheaper).

Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to piss on anyone's parade, but I think there's zero chance of us getting to $13K, but if we cut the dev costs in half by going to a different US location, the odds of this getting done are a lot higher.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I sent email to Jeff @ Google asking if he could send out a notice to SageTV users. Hopefully we can get his support.
Assuming Google does agree. When I approached him about making and alternative player for Hauppauge and other device (pre HD line), he said all No, and my client was going to be free. There was something in the EULA that prevented it, so I didn't go rogue.

Martin
Old 10-29-2013, 08:31 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post
I live in Oakland, work in SF. Is there a need to have SF area developers? I typically only staff 5-10% of my team locally, I use other USA locations for the others. (Oddly, Idaho & Georgia have HUGE dev communities, are a lot cheaper).

Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to piss on anyone's parade, but I think there's zero chance of us getting to $13K, but if we cut the dev costs in half by going to a different US location, the odds of this getting done are a lot higher.
I also struggle with supporting this project from a beating a dead horse perspective. SAgeTV isn't actively developed anymore and isn't being progressed as far as feature set. I struggle because if I personally wanted an XBMC to backend PVR solution, why not use one of the many developed PVR which while maybe not as "advanced in pvr functionality as Sage" can still provide the necessary backend live tv, favorites, recordings aspect without issue.

IDK - also don't mean to piss on anyones good time. Maybe I am just missing something.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
Maybe I am just missing something.
The first page of this thread, perhaps?
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 10-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
nothing in there is earth shattering for me so i guess i didn't miss anything.

good luck to you all though.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
nothing in there is earth shattering for me so i guess i didn't miss anything.

good luck to you all though.
As sflamm said, this project won't be of interest to everyone and that's why he was trying to gauge the level of interest, but there are those of us who like to have options and are willing to support it for that reason.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 10-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I also struggle with supporting this project
I appreciate your perspective. From the poll we can see there are clearly many that will find value and of course some who will not as well.

Maybe you would consider throwing a few bucks into the pool to help support your SageTV breatheren?

Quote:
why not use one of the many developed PVR which while maybe not as "advanced in pvr functionality as Sage"
It isn't simply that they are not as advanced. True they have far less features but they also are harder to setup, and even the features that are supposed to work don't necessarily work correctly - many have struggled and found them unusable.

More importantly, SageTV users already have a full featured solution up and running that they know and love ... it would be very expensive in terms of both time and resources to undo what is already working to move to something far less mature and functional. In fact that is a pretty risky proposition - would hate to do all that work to have to undo it all if not satisfied (which again many have had to do)...

Quote:
Assuming Google does agree. When I approached him about making
I have similar questions about how successful approaching him will be - however it is worth a shot to see if he can and/or will help...

Quote:
I typically only staff 5-10% of my team locally
Appreciate your perspective. I also have experience running both onshore and offshore teams for the last 20+ years. It is my believe that the project would be executed most efficiently and effectively if it was done locally where I can leverage and interact daily with the developers. It does come at a premium to other locales but it is more likely to be done right and quickly than otherwise and we do not have margin for error.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Appreciate your perspective. I also have experience running both onshore and offshore teams for the last 20+ years. It is my believe that the project would be executed most efficiently and effectively if it was done locally where I can leverage and interact daily with the developers. It does come at a premium to other locales but it is more likely to be done right and quickly than otherwise and we do not have margin for error.
do the developers use SageTV, or is there a learning curve too?

If they're not Sage'rs, I wonder if there's SageTV users who know C++ that would be willing to work for less than $75/hour. Plus we'd get that incremental discretionary enthusiasm since they'd be eating their own dog food, hell, we could buy them an xBox for their efforts. And the concept of "free hours" is real, as opposed to hired guns.

I've done management consulting forever and a day, and am brought in to oversee situations that are "off the tracks" and drive them to success. I literally just finished a cost/benefit analysis of SF versus Boise vs India for the department I got brought in to optimize. In this particular case and I acknowledge it could be totally unique, I'm finding that Boise is clearly 35% more efficient than SF, and with the usage of Skype/Google+ Hangouts, online chat rooms, there's a max of a 10% reduction in value for face-face.

Granted this is for a totally different type of development, but its worth at least asking around. And knowing that cost optimization is something that we seriously pursued would give people the warm/fuzzies to up contribution levels. I'm at $35, but if we faced a shortfall on the 57th kickstarter day I could easily see myself donating much more as I'd have confidence that we had financial rigor around this.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Sage Icon

You input is appreciated... before I setup up the kickstarter I did my due diligence which included identifying an expert C++ developer to execute the project. That person conducted an evaluation of the project scope by looking at the source APIs involved and the source code of the other 3rd party XBMC PVR plugins already developed. The individual was confident based on the initial scope assessment that the project could be done by him within the proposed budget. Again this was conducted before the Kickstarter project was kicked off to make sure that the project would be executed if the funded was attained.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Sage Icon

ping...
Old 10-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
ping...
That's really annoying.

Martin
Old 10-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Sage Icon

meant to keep the thread up where it will be visible to visitor who might want to help contribute.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
meant to keep the thread up where it will be visible to visitor who might want to help contribute.
* all merged now *

Please don't post any more new threads on the same topic and don't just 'ping' to refresh the topic. Other people want to use the forum for other topics too.

Tags
xbmc plugin pvr