SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Siri Proxy for Voice Control of SageTV?

Has anyone ever looked at Siri Proxy? Unfortunately it doesn't work for iOS7 yet, but if this is fixed it looks like it could be a good way to use voice to control SageTV when used in conjunction with something like the Sage web server or Fonceur's SageTCPServer.

https://github.com/plamoni/SiriProxy

The way that this appears to work is that you use a PC as a proxy that intercepts Siri commands from an iOS device. This allows you to use your own commands in addition to the commands recognized by iOS. So you could say something like "Sage Find Modern Family" and it would return the results of the next time it is on - either by saying it or returning the results in a web browser.

This appears to have been initially written for Linux but it appears that it may also work for Windows as well. There is also a version for a Raspberry Pi where you can use the Pi as the Siri proxy PC. It also appears that people have used Siri Proxy to add Siri capabilities to iDevices that don't support Siri, such as the iPhone4. The system uses Ruby programming that looks like this:
Code:
  listen_for /test siri proxy/i do
    say "Siri Proxy is up and running!" #say something to the user!
    request_completed #always complete your request! Otherwise the phone will "spin" at the user!
  end
Here is an example of an RPi using voice to control a Control4 Home Automation system. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXw-aVATJdU

While I don't think this would replace one's remote control it could be useful for stuff like Searching the guide without requiring a keyboard. In an ideal situation I guess you would run Siri Proxy on your SageTV server.

Does this make sense to look into? I would try playing around with it myself but I don't know how much longer I will still have Siri capable devices that are not upgraded to iOS7. I do have a spare RPi or 2 that I could use so I may give it a try in the next few weeks assuming that I still have an iOS6 device capable or running Siri or if it is fixed to run in iOS7.

Here is a discussion on iOS7 issues/progress:
https://github.com/plamoni/SiriProxy/issues/542