SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Sage User

Where can I locate USB-UIRT hardware and software ?

I have seen some mention of what apparently is a device / method to tune an external set top box from Sage using IR codes.

How do I get a device like this and is it supported in older versions of SageTV with older Hauppauge WinTV 250/350 capture cards?

Thanks for any advice.

Larry
Old 08-22-2013, 03:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Google is your friend.

http://www.usbuirt.com/
Old 08-22-2013, 05:41 PM
Sage User

Excellent !!

I never considered that the USB-UIRT was a separate company / product / device, and just assumed it was a Sage accessory no longer being advertized on the Sage website.

I will check it out. Thanks so very much.

Larry
Old 08-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Sage User

Still unclear on compatibility with Sage version 4. Also trying to understand how a new remote set top box is configured. I understand that the USB-UIRT sends the IR codes to the set top box, but I am unclear as to how the programming of the blaster to switch channels on this device is done.

I understand that a learning mode can capture and learn the set top box remote control codes for all remote buttons, but how is Sage programmed to emit the required channel numbers to remap the channels. Let's assume, as an example, that Sage needs to send the set top box the digits 017 to select channel 17 every time the capture card needs to record channel 17. The local channel 17, previously unencrypted and the local PBS channel, is now only available with a Cisco digital transport adapter (DTA) to decrypt the local channel, and needs to be tuned by Sage to that channel.

How does this work?

Thanks,
Larry

Last edited by LSHorwitz; 08-22-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:05 AM
Sage Icon

It has been several years since I used my USBUIRT, but it was relatively simple to get working with SageTv. Now if you are still on V4 of SageTV I do not know if support for it was there with V4 so I can't help you there.
However, take a look in your SageTV directory and fire up the SageTV PDF manual. Do a search for "USBUIRT". I know it is the SageTVv6.6 manual as well as newer ones. If it is in there you should find some help on getting it working there.

I stopped using mine once I upgraded to a computer with firewire ports. That is a much nicer way to change channels if you can do that (i.e. does your set top box for your cable, etc have a functioning firewire port). Quite a bit harder to set up, but once you get it working it is awesome.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:27 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the reminder Wayne that a pdf user guide resides on my Sage server. As another retired person I need all the reminders I can get!

No firewire option here on the set top box but hopefully support for the add-in USB controller in my older version of Sage.

Thanks again,
Larry
Old 08-23-2013, 04:33 PM
SageTVaholic

The USB-UIRT was supported with versions as far back as 2.0.20 (and probably before) my first version which I purchased along with some USB-UIRTs from the SageTV store at the same time.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Sage User

Thanks Bob and Wayne,

This explains my confusion about the USB-UIRT and my recollection of seeing it years ago as a Sage Store product. I had wrongly assumed it was sold by Sage but then no longer offered once the Sage Store closed.

I did confirm the support in version 4.1, the SageTV application I am using. I still do not see the specific details of how the SageTV server setup can be programmed to emit the IR codes when needed. I assume the channel lineup from the EPG needs to be mapped to my set top box after I have trained / learned the IR codes in the USB-UIRT for all the set top box remote control buttons. The confusing part to me is where these specific codes are recorded / stored, and where in the Sage video setup
or elsewhere are the specific button sequences programmed. I assume my Hauppage capture card will be locked on the set top box output channel, RF channel 3, and the set top box will need to be tuned using these IR codes with every channel change.

Is Girder or some other 3rd party software needed here or does SageTV server or perhaps a Windows driver for the USB-UIRT get programmed?

Thanks for any info.

Larry

Last edited by LSHorwitz; 08-23-2013 at 06:37 PM. Reason: The usual dumb typos.....
Old 08-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Sage Icon

I'm running off a severely addled brain here, but I don't recall having to "learn" any remote codes. I found the .ir file either on these forums or somewhere else pointed to by these forums.
A good place to start would be in the Hardware Support forum. In the "sticky" threads there is a good FAQ of remote code files, USB-UIRT threads, as well as a lot of other FAQ's.
Take a look at some of those threads and there is a decent chance you may find what you need.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Sage has built in support using the USBIRT. Sage will ask you to train it... by using the original remote for the device. If you plan on ordering one get the USB-UIRT w/additional 56KHz IR Sensor.

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-23-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Sage User

What is the point of the 56KHz optional sensor?
Old 08-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
I'm running off a severely addled brain here, but I don't recall having to "learn" any remote codes. I found the .ir file either on these forums or somewhere else pointed to by these forums.
A good place to start would be in the Hardware Support forum. In the "sticky" threads there is a good FAQ of remote code files, USB-UIRT threads, as well as a lot of other FAQ's.
Take a look at some of those threads and there is a decent chance you may find what you need.
I will definitely check these out. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSHorwitz View Post
What is the point of the 56KHz optional sensor?
This was sniped from the AVS forum.

You need the 56KHz sensor *IF*

- you are planning on CONTROLLING your PC (i.e, navigating apps from your couch) with a specific remote you already have which happens to transmit at 56KHz. The most common remotes that use 56KHz carrier are all the remotes from Dish Network (Echostar, Bell EVU). There are others as well, but there is no rule of thumb to give a definitive answer on which are 56KHz and which are the more common 38, 36, or 40KHz.

On the other hand, if you're going to navigate your PC with a universal remote, then you can simply find a codeset in your Universal remote which transmits at 38 or 40KHz and have no need for the sensor.

Note that the ability to TRANSMIT at 56KHz (i.e., having your PC CONTROL your Dish Receiver) has NOTHING to do with the sensor option.

The history on 56KHz is that some manufacturers like it because it typically has better range since the IR receivers can be more sensitive. 36-40KHz sensors can often be bothered by the more efficient fluorescent lamps which have ballasts that modulate around 38KHz.

In my opinion it is worth the extra $5

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-23-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Sage User

Thanks for clarifying this. My UIRT as well as my Sage server and set top box sit in a corner of my workshop totally away from the playback clients, and thus the Sage server PC only gets a visit very rarely. The only time the UIRT would be receiving IR would be if "learning" were required to set up the set top box codes with the STB remote control initially.

Not knowing if Sage has a library of common STB code sets or how this set up is accomplished, I will assume that I will need to receive IR during this training process. Not sure what carrier frequency the remote uses, but assume the optional 56KHz sensor uses a faster photodiode. I have a dozen or more IR blaster emitters here from Logitech wireless extenders but not sure if they are both IR LEDs and photodiodes or merely emitters.

Last edited by LSHorwitz; 08-23-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:47 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
Superb recommendation Wayne and finally an explanation of the details of HOW the setup is actually performed step by step. Very much appreciated!

Larry
Old 08-25-2013, 01:06 PM
SageTVaholic

There are a couple of applications called uutx.exe (for Usb-Uirt Transmit) and lrnhelper.exe that can help you program custom codes if required. You may want this for certain types of codes that Sage doesn't learn as part of its setup.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Sage User

Just wanted to post a short follow-up here to thank fellow Sage enthusiasts hete who helped get me up and running with remote STBs using USB-UIRT control.

Sincere thanks !!

Larry