SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-24-2004, 05:37 AM
Sage Icon

Another Favorite Question

Hey everybody, I have a question about deleting favorites that has probably been asked before but my search really didn't get the answer I was looking for--possibly because it isn't possible. Anyway, How do I stop using a favorite to record shows? Lets say I have a favorite set up to record the 'Berenstain Bears' (my wife likes to watch it when she excercises lol). I have about 20 episodes and I think that is sufficient so I want to either 'delete' the favorite OR just leave it set as a favorite but stop recording any new shows. If I choose to delete the favorite, I believe all the shows will also get deleted (I have IR set to off). I think I could also go into the properties and set something so that the recordings will NOT be deleted on sleep when IR is off but that would fill my HD with snippets of everything and make me manually delete it--which i would rather not do. But at least it would enable me to keep my shows recorded with favorites. SO, is there an easy way to keep a favorite but just have it stop recording new shows? What if I put the shows recorded using the favorite into the 'larchived shows'. Are they then kept until manually deleted? Sorry this is so long
later
JUC
Old 06-24-2004, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Those snippets will get deleted when more space is needed for new recordings, but if you don't want to change that functionality... If you want to keep the fav w/o recording new shows, try telling it to only record that show on the shopping channel or some such channel where it isn't aired.

Alternatively, if you want to delete the favorite, set all of its episodes to Manual Record by highlighting each episode in turn & using the Record command. According to Frey, Malual Recordings are never allowed to be automatically deleted. You could always try a test favorite w/1 recording first if you want to test this.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.

Last edited by Opus4; 06-24-2004 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:38 AM
Sage Expert

Unless I'm reading the original post wrong, why can't you just set SAGE to keep say 10 episodes of your wifes workout show. (lol) That way when 10 are recorded, on the 11th, it will delete the oldest. This way you set how many are stored, and your wife gets to watch new episodes, not reruns per say.

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 06-24-2004, 06:43 AM
Administrator

lol! I missed the point that it looks like he just wants it to stop recording for now so the number of shows doesn't keep increasing. My answer was based on there no longer being a need to use that favorite at all.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:18 AM
Sage Icon

I'm not at home now, but is there a setting in the favorites to keep only 10 shows for instance? Where would that be. In the alternative, Opus4-that is a great suggestion, just to change the channel where it is not aired. Maybe in a while I may want to record more so that may work.
Thanks a bunch.
later
JUC
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 06-24-2004, 07:23 AM
Administrator

The setting broderp mentioned is on the fav's configuration menu: Schedule Recordings -> Favorites Manager -> select the fav to edit -> set Keep At Most.

- Andy
Old 06-24-2004, 07:51 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks, but-if I set it to keep at most 10, and keep it at the right channel, will it still record shows and delete the old ones I have (I would like to keep the shows I have but not record new ones).
JUC
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Old 06-24-2004, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by JUC
will it still record shows and delete the old ones I have (I would like to keep the shows I have but not record new ones).
Yes, it will delete old ones to make room for new ones. You can't set it to manual delete either, or else it will ignorethe Keep At Most setting & continue to record w/o deleting old ones. What you could do is mark the current ones as Manual Recordings, set the fav to keep 10, and also set the fav to auto delete. After you watch one, delete it yourself & then SageTV should record another to take its place. But, then you would have to mark that as a manual recording to prevent IT from being swapped for a newer one... and so on. A bit of a pain.

See "Keep at Most" not working?

- Andy
Old 06-24-2004, 08:07 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks Andy, I think I will just change the channel to something where it is not being aired--seems simple and is really what I want to do: keep my old shows and not record new ones for now, but maybe later
Thanks again
JUC

Old 06-25-2004, 08:52 AM
Sage Icon

Alright, I went home and changed the channel on my favorite..which is good because it no longer scheduled any more shows to be recorded BUT--IT deleted all the shows I had previously recorded!!!!!! I am guessing because the shows recorded using the original channel got kicked out of the favorites recordings and since they were not manual either---deleted. Any thoughts

Old 06-25-2004, 08:55 AM

That is correct default behavior unfortunately. Since they were no longer classified as Favorites they get deleted. There is a property setting you can use to make Sage not delete anything until it needs the space. This is also what the Archive feature in Sage is used for.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:13 AM
Sage User

Is there any information oh how the archiving function works? Do I just do a manual copy? Or is there a way to get sage to do it?
Old 06-25-2004, 09:15 AM

It is the Move to Library menu item or command. It will then show up in the Archived menu.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:23 AM
Sage Icon

Once a show is archived, will it ever be deleted without me actively doing so?

Old 06-25-2004, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by JUC
Alright, I went home and changed the channel on my favorite..which is good because it no longer scheduled any more shows to be recorded BUT--IT deleted all the shows I had previously recorded!!!!!! I am guessing because the shows recorded using the original channel got kicked out of the favorites recordings and since they were not manual either---deleted. Any thoughts
Ouch! Sorry about that! Like mlbdude said, that is intended behavior with the default settings, but I compeltely forgot that changing a fav to use a specific channel meant that all _other_ episodes no longer qualify as favorites.

During the beta, my hand twitched as I was about to click on the Library Import Directories setup option & I hit the option to disable IR instead... over 51 hours of recordings went POOF. (Before Frey added a confirmation when disabling IR.) Ever since then, I changed the property to disable such auto-deleting when IR is off. If you want to make this switch, exit SageTV & set:

seeker/clear_partials_and_unwanted_when_ir_off=false

Files will still get deleted when more space is needed; they just won't get deleted immediately.

Archived files aren't subject to auto-deletion... as far as I know. Edit: you could also simply mark the show as a Manual Recording & it will never get deleted. (Highlight the recording & use the Record command.)

- Andy
Old 06-25-2004, 09:33 AM
Sage Icon

quote: "highlight the recording and use the record command"

so if I have a show in my 'recordings', I can simply click on it and then there should be a option to set it as manual recordings? its hard for me know because I am not home. Is this correct/
thanks
juc

Old 06-25-2004, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by JUC
quote: "highlight the recording and use the record command"

so if I have a show in my 'recordings', I can simply click on it and then there should be a option to set it as manual recordings? its hard for me know because I am not home. Is this correct/
No -- after it is recorded, the Recording Detail menu does not give have a 'Record' option, since it _is_ already recorded. So, do just what I said: "highlight the recording and use the record command".

The record button on the remote ought to work for this. Or, check Detailed Setup -> Commands -> Link...Command to see what key is assigned to the Record command & use it.

- Andy
Old 06-25-2004, 09:48 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks--
-after i hit the record button, will the outline turn Red-so I can know it is a manual recording...and manual recordings will never be deleted right? I could also just throw it in the archive too---this is starting to make sense.
JUC

Old 06-25-2004, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Yes. Yes. Great!

- Andy