SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Sage Aficionado

Sage CPU usage climbs for no reason

The CPU percentage that Sage server uses will sit at 2-3% after I stop, then restart the Service. After awhile (3-4 hrs?), it climbs to about 25% with no recordings scheduled, no client started or running, and no extender started or running in the interim. For example, I restarted before going to bed; in the morning it was up to 25%.

Is this normal? It doesn't seem so since it goes right back down when I stop/start the Service. Could use someplace to start troubleshooting. Any suggestions?
Network: gB Lan
Playback: FireStick 4K miniclient
Tech Level: Hobbyist
Old 06-08-2013, 10:08 AM
SageTVaholic

There are many reasons why the CPU rises. EPG updates .... scheduled library scans.... Scheduling favorites.... looking ahead for future recordings. I would not stop it everytime it reaches %25 it could be writing to DB backing up wiz.bin etc.

Last edited by nyplayer; 06-08-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the info; Is it possible to know when those activities are scheduled to take place?

Wouldn't those folks that reboot every night also be at risk? I guess I assumed that Sage would gracefully handle a Service stop and start, given that there's Sage TV Service Control provided for just that purpose.

I am experiencing hangups as well, where I get the spinning circle, my HD-PVR has decided to stop working, and once in awhile the Prime sits there with a tuner light on but no Sage live or recording taking place.

I recently had a Power Supply fail and wonder if it has affected hardware or glitched Sage. Trying to find out if there's a simpler fix than re-installing Sage or buying a new MB.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:30 PM
SageTVaholic

I guess I don't see the point of stopping it if it is using only %25 of the CPU. There are so many variables why it spikes.... Some plugins do scans every hour. I would be more worried if my memory usage peaks.... or gets very close to peaking... not %25 percent cpu usage.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm only worried because I hear my server fan (and CPU frequency) at 100% at those CPU levels, and because of the recent prevalence hangups and tuner failures. Before, I'd hear it occasionally when I was recording several programs and playing back one; now it seems like every time I walk in the door I hear it and when I check, the only load is Sage.

My primary issue is the hangups and HDPVR failure, but this CPU issue seemed to happen at the same time (before I replaced the PS) and all problems remain with the new PS.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well, after several re-installs of Sage yesterday trying to get my HDPVR to work the CPU is no longer ramping up overnight. Must have been a glitch 'somewhere'. I forgot how easy it is to simply uninstall and re-install Sage when leaving the directory - I'll do that first the next time there's an unexplained problem.

No joy, tho.... the HDPVR is still SNAFU.