SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:45 AM

HD Homerun Dual tuner issues

Hi folks,

I have been following threads on the forum about some tuner issues and wondered if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem.

I have a brighthouse cable feed coming into my condo that is complimentary and basically their lowest package. I have an antenna feed that picks up 30 OTA channels perfectly. With the cable package included, I get another 58 channels. I bought a combiner that feeds both sources into the HDHomeRun Dual. No matter what I do, I can't get the cable channels to be recognized. I've tried a straight feed right from the cable and still no love.

My LG tv sees both signals perfectly. I have tried every setting that is obvious but still can't seem to get the tuner software to see these channels. Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks,
Dean
( I'm a MIS/IT engineer just to give you some background on me)
Old 04-08-2013, 09:56 AM
SageTVaholic

So you are combining an antenna source and a cable source into the same line? I'm not sure how that's supposed to work since the same frequencies used on VHF and UHF OTA channels are also used on CATV channels.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:59 AM
SageTVaholic

In fact, from what I'm reading you can actually end up turning your antenna into a transmitter for your CATV channels.

Combining CATV and OTA sounds like something you should not do under any circumstances.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
In fact, from what I'm reading you can actually end up turning your antenna into a transmitter for your CATV channels.

Combining CATV and OTA sounds like something you should not do under any circumstances.
If this was true, the LG should not be able to see the 90 + channels but it does. If the same frequencies were being used it couldn't work. The combiner is being used by others for this same thing with success. My particular circumstance is therefore curious. Something else seems to be going on here.

Thanks for your input.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by animapper View Post
If this was true, the LG should not be able to see the 90 + channels but it does. If the same frequencies were being used it couldn't work. The combiner is being used by others for this same thing with success. My particular circumstance is therefore curious. Something else seems to be going on here.

Thanks for your input.
I can't answer why your TV can discriminate the two sources. It's possible that the TV uses a better tuner or separate tuners for each source type.

The tuner in the HDHR might not be able to discriminate between the two sources. Have you tried tuning to the channels manually with HDHomeRun Config to see what it sees? Do you have your HDHR set to tune "Digital Cable" or "Digital Antenna"? It can't be set to tune both at the same time.

Everything I'm reading about doing this says that it's not something that should be done. Just because the cables can be mated doesn't mean it's something that should be done.

I certainly wouldn't want my cable company knocking on my door because I'm causing noise on the line from the antenna. Remember, there's nothing to stop the antenna source from being transmitted to the rest of the cable network.

I just don't know how to put it any more plainly that this is something you should not be doing.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
I concur with Taddeusz. Out of curiosity you can research why your LG *is* working, but you should not combine them into the HDHR (or any tuner, really). Treat it as separate sources. Use two different HDHR's if necessary.

This doesn't even begin to touch on how you have Sage recognize the guide data from two different sources on the same 'tuner'. Egads.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
I concur with Taddeusz. Out of curiosity you can research why your LG *is* working, but you should not combine them into the HDHR (or any tuner, really). Treat it as separate sources. Use two different HDHR's if necessary.

This doesn't even begin to touch on how you have Sage recognize the guide data from two different sources on the same 'tuner'. Egads.
Thanks for the reply. This HDHR is a dual tuner but only has one coax input. Curiously, I was never able to get the cable channels to show up even when I only used it as the source. I also tried all the combinations the tuners had with no luck in even one channel being recognized. Again, the LG sees 58 of them.

Thanks again,
Dean