SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-21-2013, 12:13 AM
Sage User

Unhappy Anyone else experiencing youtube videos not working? (March 2013)

Yesterday youtube videos worked fine - but today there seems to be problems... at least on my setup

Anyone else having problems with youtube?

# Smiley
Old 03-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Broken for me too. "Unable to determine the file to download"
HTPC: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI, I7-6700, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro x64, Hauppauge HVR-1600, WinTV-dualHD, Colossus 2, Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, Seagate 3TB, WD 3TB, 3TB, 5TB, Java v1.8.0_231, SageTVx64 v9.2.1.826, Samsung UN60EH6003F, Dish ViP222K, ViewHD 1x2 HDMI Splitter.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:55 PM
SageTVaholic

broken for me as well...

while testing a spare HD200 today, after connecting to the server, YouTube and Google videos seem to be gone again. Why is it again that the Sage equipment loses those connection, but Tivos, Netflix boxes, etc. don't?

admin: so you're confident it's the servers software, and not a HD200 problem?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 03-21-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Why is it again that the Sage equipment loses those connection, but Tivos, Netflix boxes, etc. don't?
I'd guess it's because those boxes have "official" Youtube "apps" that get support from youtube/google, either their interface didn't get changed or they're informed of the change so they can update. Where as SageTV just "scrapes" youtube and is forced to react to any change made vs being proactive.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I'd guess it's because those boxes have "official" Youtube "apps" that get support from youtube/google, either their interface didn't get changed or they're informed of the change so they can update. Where as SageTV just "scrapes" youtube and is forced to react to any change made vs being proactive.
ah, okay. that makes sense I guess. I always wondered. Pretty ironic the company who bought Sage was the one being "scraped". Crappy for supporters of company who was ironically bought. Didn't realize we were spending our money on un-official hardware..
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Crappy for supporters of company who was ironically bought. Didn't realize we were spending our money on un-official hardware..
I'm not sure I follow, the SageTV design for grabbing YouTube videos was created long before Google had anything to do with SageTV, so it's not like Google created the SageTV design. And I suppose it's a little unfair to call it scraping, I think they actually use the API, but I know SageTV is very dependent on YouTube URL format (or something like that) which changes rather frequently for some reason. I'm really not sure what the Xbox or Tivo or whatever do differently to access YouTube, but it's obviously more officially supported by Google/YouTube.

And nobody who bought any SageTV hardware bought anything created by Google. You bought "official" SageTV hardware that uses some less supported method to access YouTube.

I'm just glad Google lets or Andy takes time to keep it updated still (or at least so far).
Old 03-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Fixed

I took a quick look yesterday and discovered that this time only a new set of online video properties files are needed. The auto updates have been created.

You can either let it auto update sometime over the next 24 hours (it will update after going to the Main Menu, checking once per day), or just delete OnlineVideoLinks.properties and OnlineVideoUIText.properties to force an update.

You will still need to have previously updated the STV to the latest STV version or these properties files won't work properly.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I'm not sure I follow, the SageTV design for grabbing YouTube videos was created long before Google had anything to do with SageTV, so it's not like Google created the SageTV design. And I suppose it's a little unfair to call it scraping, I think they actually use the API, but I know SageTV is very dependent on YouTube URL format (or something like that) which changes rather frequently for some reason. I'm really not sure what the Xbox or Tivo or whatever do differently to access YouTube, but it's obviously more officially supported by Google/YouTube.

And nobody who bought any SageTV hardware bought anything created by Google. You bought "official" SageTV hardware that uses some less supported method to access YouTube.

I'm just glad Google lets or Andy takes time to keep it updated still (or at least so far).
I think we're all glad that there's some kind of support still happening. I'll see if I have some old piece of hardware hanging around (DVD player, etc) that included an earlier incarnation of Youtube, and then see if it still works the next time Sage doesn't. Yes, we all know we didn't buy anything made by Google. Must admit, it's sad to see so many people selling their hardware these days
Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
You will still need to have previously updated the STV to the latest STV version or these properties files won't work properly.

- Andy
yup, have that installed. thanks
Old 03-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
I took a quick look yesterday and discovered that this time only a new set of online video properties files are needed. The auto updates have been created.

You can either let it auto update sometime over the next 24 hours (it will update after going to the Main Menu, checking once per day), or just delete OnlineVideoLinks.properties and OnlineVideoUIText.properties to force an update.

- Andy
Great!

Thanks Andy!

# Smiley
Old 03-22-2013, 01:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Working again
Old 03-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks Andy. Works fine over here again as well. It is great to see that SageTV is still supported.