SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 03-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Sage User

If I could just get my hands on some client licenses (I prefer them to the HD-100/200/300..personal preference is all), I'd run Sage indefinitely. It just flat out does everything that I want it to do.

It's funny how my wife reacted when we moved out of our house a few months ago while we build our new house. No more Sage for the interim. It's driving her crazy! The functionality has become such a big part of our daily routine that when it was removed, it became hard to watch tv like the "regular folk" do...

I wired for low voltage while in college (centralized audio/video/security/etc. distribution), so my new house is wired beyond belief...unfortunately what satisfied the old requirements for Sage at our old house no longer applies for the new house. Thus, I'm on the desperate hunt for some client licenses or left with the decision of what to go to next. Nothing out there seems to be able to do what I want it to do as of yet...although I will admit, XBMC is getting close to it (I've run XBMC for a few years now just for giggles). Here's to hoping that a solution of some sort presents itself within the next few months...
Old 03-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRiddle View Post
If I could just get my hands on some client licenses (I prefer them to the HD-100/200/300..personal preference is all), I'd run Sage indefinitely..
Just pop over to the SageTV Marketplace. Client licenses are still available and in a pinch you could purchase a server license and run it in client mode.

I don't see myself switching to any other solution in the foreseeable future. As a "hoarder" and DRM hater, there's just nothing out there that can replace the all-in-one functionality of Sage.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias View Post
Just pop over to the SageTV Marketplace. Client licenses are still available and in a pinch you could purchase a server license and run it in client mode.

I don't see myself switching to any other solution in the foreseeable future. As a "hoarder" and DRM hater, there's just nothing out there that can replace the all-in-one functionality of Sage.

I've been keeping my eyes on the sales, and have been late on a few attempts thus far. That being said, the problem has been solved =)
Old 07-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Sage User

I plan on using SageTV forever. I am currently upgrading my system from SD to be HD. The old SD recording now look crappy on a bigger flat screen TV.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I'll be using Sage until summer of this year when I hope to get Google Fiber TV installed. I will keep the SageTV server running after that to wind down a ton of recordings. Not going to give SageTV up until I'm confident the new Sage (Google Fiber TV) isn't overly crippled by Google.
Yeah, but that's cheating - you're just moving to SageTV 8 while the rest of us are stuck on 7.1.9.

I've finally gotten rid of all Comcast devices. Own my own DOCSIS 3 cable modem, and a Ceton tuner for Cable TV. Comcast currently GIVES me $2 back for owning my own devices, which makes my $39.99 cable package (already reduced from $69.99 by being stubborn) only $37.99 plus tax.

Last edited by Naylia; 07-03-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:48 AM
Sage Icon

This just extended my stay with Sage for potentially a long time (assuming I can get some)....
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60486
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

That is good to hear they are selling off the remaining units. Now if only they would also sell client licenses

My old server hard drive was giving up and slowly dying. The system would still somewhat work but it needed a reset every other day. And it was eating up the Windows install as more and more services were dying off. Hence, I had to do a complete reinstall from scratch and was not able to just copy the data over to a new hard drive. So I decided to just upgrade the server hardware since I had to install a new system anyway. Since this probably extended to life of my Sage server for quite some time (the old server was 7-8 years old) I am going to stick around for as long as I can keep Sage alive.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Wischgol View Post
That is good to hear they are selling off the remaining units. Now if only they would also sell client licenses

My old server hard drive was giving up and slowly dying. The system would still somewhat work but it needed a reset every other day. And it was eating up the Windows install as more and more services were dying off. Hence, I had to do a complete reinstall from scratch and was not able to just copy the data over to a new hard drive. So I decided to just upgrade the server hardware since I had to install a new system anyway. Since this probably extended to life of my Sage server for quite some time (the old server was 7-8 years old) I am going to stick around for as long as I can keep Sage alive.
Ditto!

I've been using Sage for ages.. and have put many an hour into trying to find a solution that would just come close to what Sage offered... sigh!

That said I did put a lot of money into building a new server roughly 2 years ago and installed Sage. I've got 2x hd300 and 1x hd200... several placeshifter licenses and 3 client (1 osx the other two windows)... I'm invested... certainly until i find another viable solution..

Got my name in for 3 more hd300's... FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Server Specs are
3.0Ghz i7
2x colossus
12 GB Ram
20bay chassis
20 x 2TB (2x RAID 10) just shy of 20TB usable - half full.. sigh
Old 07-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
... It would be really sad if nobody can come up with something equal/better in 5 years.

I say SageTV 7.1.9 because I leave open the slim possibility of running some future version of SageTV (ala Google Fiber or something).
A very big +1