SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Sage Icon

New SageTv install on Win7 64bit - VM

I am trying to install a fresh copy of sage to a Hyper-V VM. Flat install went fine, extenders no issue ...

Except one, no video, black screen on all extenders on all video - live tv, ripped dvd, mkv, avi, mpg - all!

I am trying to do the minimum install for this. So the basic SageTv 7.1.9 install should be able to watch live TV (TS Stream) and native DVD rips?

Or do I need to install codecs for this? And if so what is the best? ffDshow, Shark, Divx mf etc? I have my own favorites but what is deemed to be the best with Sage at this point?

I have not had to mess with any of this with Sage in many years, and well I have forgoten more then I remember at this point.

Thanks,
Old 02-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Sage Icon

If you are using one of the Sage Extenders (as opposed to the old Hauppauge extenders), it shouldn't matter what codecs you have on the server. Almost everything should be decoded by the hardware inside the extender and the server should not have to do any transcoding or anything.

My guess is that you have a firewall problem. The extenders require several ports to be open on the firewall (you'll have to check the manual to see which ones). Try disabling your firewall temporarily to see if it works.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 02-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Sage Icon

Thank you for that advice, I had forgotten about the ports needed.

But it is the worst possible cause, my HD300 will not play back anything. I switched to another 300 and it worked just fine. Very strange as it will display the UI just fine. I guess I need to try the Beta firmware and see if that fixes anything. I was running the last stable build FW release.

It figures, I was going to resurect my Sage server in to a VM. I guess I have some work ahead of me to try an resurect my HD300 instead ...
Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Sage Icon

Man did I get lucky! I reloaded the last beta FW and the HD300 started working again!