SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:55 AM
Sage Icon

Gotcha, thanks. I tend to over-complicate things
Old 11-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Attorney View Post
It should work, just not with live TV on an HD200/300. Make sure you made the proper registry edit that SHS posted in another thread. After that, it should work, at least with component (your tuner likely has HDCP on your HDMI connection which prevents recording).
Do you have issues with the 1512 and live TV on every channel or is it only certain channels/audio streams?

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 11-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
Do you have issues with the 1512 and live TV on every channel or is it only certain channels/audio streams?
Only certain channels (about half of all my channels). It seems apparently unrelated to audio format on the channel. In another thread, someone actually figured out why this was happening, but not specifically what was triggering it. Hauppauge is now aware of the issue and is apparently attempting to fix it. So, there is still hope of a fix in the future.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

Question

I do not undestand how to configure Infra Red channel change from SageTV?

Sage Server: [s]8xDVB-S2 with DVBE4Sage on YES DBS Israel 4W (3 virtual tuners) ,[/s] 3 x HD300 Extenders; 3 x HD200 Extender; 3 x SageTV Client;
Old 07-10-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkiller View Post
I do not undestand how to configure Infra Red channel change from SageTV?
You need to install IR Blaster Software
Install it then Run the app and Setup it up to make use of your settop box first.
Bear in your limet to one IR Blater under Windows unlike in under Linux as only HVR-22xx has support for dual IR Blaster under Windows and limet to one card under windows which why you have go with the USB-UIRT.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

SHS, thank you answer, for make sure please confirm:
in case i have 1 card HD PVR2 card - i can use it' internal IR Blaster with SageTV.
in case i have 2 or more i need to use USB-UIRT for handle make 2 IR blasters.

Correct?

Sage Server: [s]8xDVB-S2 with DVBE4Sage on YES DBS Israel 4W (3 virtual tuners) ,[/s] 3 x HD300 Extenders; 3 x HD200 Extender; 3 x SageTV Client;
Old 07-10-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkiller View Post
SHS, thank you answer, for make sure please confirm:
in case i have 1 card HD PVR2 card - i can use it' internal IR Blaster with SageTV.
in case i have 2 or more i need to use USB-UIRT for handle make 2 IR blasters.

Correct?
Yes and Yes
Old 07-16-2015, 08:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am going to setup the HD PVR 2 model 1512 in the next few days and had some questions about this: Back in 2010 I used to run two HD PVR's (1212) via Component and SPDIF. The procedure that I followed at the time indicated that the HD-PVR drivers and software had to be installed BEFORE you installed SageTV. I do know how to uninstall and re-install SageTV and recover all the recordings/favorites/etc.

Question: Do I also have to uninstall SageTV before installing the HD PVR 2 drivers and software? (Then re-install?).

Also, does anyone have a comprehensive, up-to-date high-level procedure for setting up the HD PVR 2 and fixing the audio problems (preferably for recording via HDMI)?

Also, one more question: I also have 1 of my old HD-PVR's - is it possible to simultaneously use both types for 2 set top boxes?
Old 07-16-2015, 08:56 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecore View Post
I am going to setup the HD PVR 2 model 1512 in the next few days and had some questions about this: Back in 2010 I used to run two HD PVR's (1212) via Component and SPDIF. The procedure that I followed at the time indicated that the HD-PVR drivers and software had to be installed BEFORE you installed SageTV. I do know how to uninstall and re-install SageTV and recover all the recordings/favorites/etc.

Question: Do I also have to uninstall SageTV before installing the HD PVR 2 drivers and software? (Then re-install?).

Also, does anyone have a comprehensive, up-to-date high-level procedure for setting up the HD PVR 2 and fixing the audio problems (preferably for recording via HDMI)?

Also, one more question: I also have 1 of my old HD-PVR's - is it possible to simultaneously use both types for 2 set top boxes?
No need to uninstall/reinstall Sage. You do need to uninstall any Hauppauge drivers on your system first (there is a tool that Hauppauge provides for that), then install the new drivers. As far as I know, there are still issues with the audio (two I think). The first is that some live TV channels played on an HD200/300 will not have sound (but the sound is in the video file). The second is that occasionally the 1512 will mess up recording of the audio track in the video file itself, and nothing can play it back. I am not aware of a fix for that one either.

Your best bet right now is to use two 1212 HD PVR models. They are super stable and work the best of any Hauppauge model, IMO.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Your best bet right now is to use two 1212 HD PVR models. They are super stable and work the best of any Hauppauge model, IMO.
Thanks for that advice. If the 1512 support doesn't improve in the Open Source version of Sage then we may have to start thinking about buying up old 1212's before they become extremely scarce. They may be available for a good price soon as people decommission Windows MCE systems.

I have two 1212's plus a spare but I have been having issues with one or both of them that seems to go beyond the regular tri-annual power supply failure.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:26 PM
Sage Expert

Has Hauppauge stopped producing the 1212s?
Old 07-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Sage Expert

It looks like Amazon is not directly selling the 1212s anymore, but the Hauppauge website is for about $200, assuming everything is up to date: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/websto...ore_hdpvr.html
Old 07-16-2015, 02:52 PM
SageTVaholic

I assumed that they had stopped producing them a few years ago.

Additionally, I fear for the longevity of Hauppauge as streaming is lessening the need for video capture and apparently many HD-PVRs were sold to gamers who wanted to record their gaming. But my understanding is that the newer generation of consoles can do this automatically.

Consequently Hauppauge's revenue has fallen from $90M in 2008 to $24M in 2014 and their market cap was $26M in 2010 and is now $1M.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Has Hauppauge stopped producing the 1212s?
I've had good luck finding extras on Ebay, usually from gamers that have relatively little time on the unit, compared to the hours they spend recording on a Sage system. I used to find them right between 50 and 80 bux and so far they've all been like new as far as I can tell.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I assumed that they had stopped producing them a few years ago.

Additionally, I fear for the longevity of Hauppauge as streaming is lessening the need for video capture and apparently many HD-PVRs were sold to gamers who wanted to record their gaming. But my understanding is that the newer generation of consoles can do this automatically.

Consequently Hauppauge's revenue has fallen from $90M in 2008 to $24M in 2014 and their market cap was $26M in 2010 and is now $1M.
But you have also look at what beeing happing to in USA, Also it not just Hauppauge also look at AverMedia, Elgato min other are long gone.
Just give a hint take look Hauppauge UK product

Rigth now every body seem be focusing on the Console/PC Gaming Market
Old 07-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I guess now I have to go backwards to go forward - is there any noticeable difference in pic quality between the 1212 and 1512?

Should I configure the Motorola stb for 1080i 720p or native with the 1212? I don't recall what I did before

I liked the idea of a digital 2nd gen copy via hdmi with the 1512 but looks like the 1212 will avoid problems - are either of the Colossus products stable?

Last edited by Telecore; 07-17-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I liked the idea of a digital 2nd gen copy via hdmi with the 1512 but looks like the 1212 will avoid problems - are either of the Colossus products stable?
But don't forget that pretty much all cable and satellite boxes have HDCP. You need to get something to break that encryption, otherwise the HDMI input on those devices is useless.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Usually a sub $30 HDMI splitter resolves issues, if you find what you need in the reviews for that device.

I can honestly say that I can't tell any difference between the output from my 1212 (component HD video) and my Colossus (HDMI), and I have both of them maxed out on their respective bitrates (the Colossus being higher). It seems as though they use the same H.264 encoder perhaps which is probably fairly mediocre by today's standards. Forum user SHS keeps up on this and may be able to clarify hardware differences that might result in better quality between the various units. I use 1080i on both devices. If you go with the 1212, grab at least one extra power supply to have on hand.

There's a thread around here regarding the Colossus2 stability - I seem to recall that one of the users simply went back to weekly reboots to resolve.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the suggestions - I was able to easily set up my old HD-PVR 1212 and USB-UIRT with one STB. Now I have all the channels that I am paying for on FIOS in SageTV. Picture looks good. I'll put the 1512 on the back burner for a while and probably pick up a 2nd HD-PVR 1212 on ebay.

One question: I only installed the latest drivers (dowloaded from hauppauge.com) to set this up. I max'ed out the quality setting within SageTV - Is there a method to further increase the picture quality (outside of SageTV?)?? I don't have the original installer CD that came with the HD-PVR.

Last edited by Telecore; 07-19-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions - I was able to easily set up my old HD-PVR 1212 and USB-UIRT with one STB. Now I have all the channels that I am paying for on FIOS in SageTV. Picture looks good. I'll put the 1512 on the back burner for a while and probably pick up a 2nd HD-PVR 1212 on ebay.

One question: I only installed the latest drivers (dowloaded from hauppauge.com) to set this up. I max'ed out the quality setting within SageTV - Is there a method to further increase the picture quality (outside of SageTV?)?? I don't have the original installer CD that came with the HD-PVR.
Get the CD here:
http://www.shspvr.com/ftp/download/wintv-hdpvr/
file:cd-hd-pvr-v22f.zip