SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Sage Icon

But there does not appear to be neglible additional delay introduced in the network encoder beyond what already existed in the hdpvr/firewire local configuration
Old 01-02-2013, 08:08 PM
SageTVaholic

So basically, if you have the HD-PVR 1212 involved at all, the 4-5 second delay in getting that started is going to be an issue regardless of channel changing technique.

I wonder if that new HD-PVR2 plus will exhibit the same behavior. I'm still struggling to figure out how HDMI input for the HD-PVR would work in an encrypted, copy flag scenario.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Sage Icon

Actually, I think the 4 second delay you are talking about comes from a Sage property and can be changed. From what I recall, the delay was added to give time for the STB to finish tuning the channel and stabilize, because the HD-PVR sets-up its recording resolution based on what it sees when it first starts and it often has trouble if the source resolution changes after it starts recording.

On my PC, I reduced this to 2 seconds for the HDPVR.

mmc/encoders/-431556906/delay_to_wait_after_tuning=2000
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 AM
SageTVaholic

That's great info, Tiki. I'll dial that in tonight and see how it performs over the next few days.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Sage Icon

Excellent point - forgot about that.

Also what I do is set my STB to output a fixed resolution so there is no 'settle' time. This can be found in the STB's onscreen menus.

With HDPVR I found 1080i or 720p work best (depends on your STBs up sampling capability).
Old 01-03-2013, 10:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Set that to 1500, seems to be working great.

Thanks again, that was a great tip.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:48 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflamm View Post
I have the two servers up. The one that is the network encoder is configured with "enable_encoding_server=true" and the main sagetv server is configured as "network_encoder_discovery=true"

The main sagetv is not showing any "discovered" network tuners...

The video source is configured and working on the network encoder server just not showing up in the main sagetv server.

Any ideas?

this is exactly my problem too. Any recollection of what fixed it?

I'm going to confirm that there is nothing blocking the ports, but i don't think that there is.

matt
Old 08-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Sage Icon

It was probably an issue of having the right ports open... see manual for the specific ports. Make sure they are open on both sides (and of course restart service).
Old 08-30-2013, 11:48 AM
Sage Icon

yup, sure was! I was just coming back to answer my own question when I saw your response.

I didn't realize that my Ubuntu server had somehow activated its UFW firewall. Had to disable that, then everything clicked right into place.

Thanks for the f/u.

Last edited by matt91; 08-30-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
On my PC, I reduced this to 2 seconds for the HDPVR.

Quick question, if one has the STB on a network encoder, do you change the property in the encoding PC's property file or the main server's? Or does the main server pick up the property if it's changed on the encoder?

Obviously I'm just too lazy to try it myself.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Sage Icon

there is one property in the encoder server that needs to be changed
and one property in the main server that tell it to discover network encoders

see my writeup....
Old 12-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflamm View Post
there is one property in the encoder server that needs to be changed
and one property in the main server that tell it to discover network encoders

see my writeup....
I should have been more specific, i meant for this property:

mmc/encoders/xxxxxxxxxxx/delay_to_wait_after_tuning

not setting up network encoders in general.

---

I'm still a bit confused about the delay_to_wait_after_tuning property though. Even though I have it set at 4 seconds, the channel tuning (via USB-IRT) still appears to be happening too quickly. I can tell because the DirecTV info screen showing the channel change is at the beginning of the recording.

Hmm, maybe the 4 second delay simply isn't enough time for the IR emitting to do its thing, it's kinda slow. Guess I'll try upping the amount.

I'm trying to get around the HD-PVR 2 audio recording problem. I figure the closer I can get to the show's stream actually having started the better.
Old 04-30-2022, 07:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Resurrecting an old thread here. I'd like to have one very powerful machine running SageTV and Channels DVR. Problem is, Channels DVR needs Win 10 to be reliable, and I'm using WMC on Win7 to make Spectrum Cable possible with the WMC Live TV tuner:

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63212

Can I fire up an old, energy efficient Win 7 laptop, run WMC7 and SageTV as a network tuner for a very power Win 10 machine that runs both SageTV Server and Channels DVR?
Old 05-01-2022, 06:59 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Problem is, Channels DVR needs Win 10 to be reliable, and I'm using WMC on Win7 to make Spectrum Cable possible with the WMC Live TV tuner:
Not sure what problems you are having, but I have been running ChannelsDVR on a Windows 7 machine for over 6 months with zero issues.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 05-01-2022, 01:02 PM
SageTVaholic

On my Win 7 system I started losing TVE Channels and the developers worked with me via email for a few weeks, got it fixed once, then we all just gave up. It may have had something to do with the Pcie Ceton Cable Card in my SageTV machine (where I was also trying to run Channels DVR).

In the end, Channels Developers have officially taken the stance that they will no longer officially support Windows versions older than Win 10. So I bit the bullet and purchased a fairly cheap/powerful PC with and installed Win 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC to be sure I didn't have to deal with the constant Win 10 update headaches.

I still need WMC7 if I want to run Channels DVR & Sage the way I do now, and after a fair amount of research, installing the unsupported version of WMC on Win 10 doesn't allow the use of Xbox360 extenders which are critical to my SageTV cablecard system.

It seems that creating the Win7 SageTV network encoder would allow me to run SageTV and Channels DVR side by side on the new, separate, Win 10 PC. I don't see another way around it.